Florida ems

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So I have been looking around at moving back to Florida, as I was born there. Just toying with it. Anyone know how the county services are to work for? I had heard years ago that most services were fire based but I'm finding out by being here on vacation and asking around it sounds like Amr has some 911 contracts and near Tampa and Sebring there are a lot of county based services.
So anyone that works in the area know how the landscape for providers is? I'm loving the idea of sunstar and the county agencies. Or transferring with Amr to an emergency service

brian328

Forum Crew Member
Rural/Metro does emergency transportation for some counties in Florida and parts of Orlando. This might be changing due to recent financial events.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Most EMS in FL is fire based. There are exceptions which include Lake County, Lee County, Volusia County, Sunstar, and Rural Metro ( who has parts of Orlando metro area and Sumter County)

The market here is saturated as the medic mills pump out litters of providers every semester. With that said Sunstar and Rural Metro would be your best bets for a quick hire and then take your time looking at the county services.

RM's chapter 11 has not impacted the Orlando operation to any extent, they just signed a new 5 year contract with the City of Orlando.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Cool thank you. I'm not too worried about fast. I've been looking at highlands county ems or just transferring down with Amr to one of their 911 contracts. I'll keep my eyes open with the others too.
Family in okaloosa county want me to apply up there for their county ems too.

jmp09

Forum Ride Along
Well right next to Okaloosa to the west you have a private company, Lifeguard Ambulance, that runs all 911 and transports for Santa Rosa County. Then west of that is Escambia County which has a county ambulance that runs separate from the county fire.

I live over here and just got started with Escambia. I have friends at both here and Lifeguard. So let me know if you have any questions. Pensacola is a great place!

Last edited by a moderator:

jmp09

Forum Ride Along
And I see you are a medic. Both Lifeguard and Escambia have openings for medic right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And I see you are a medic. Both Lifeguard and Escambia have openings for medic right now.

Thanks! I still have to test for my fl medic so I'm not sure I can apply yet. I'm a nm and registry medic though

FlyingEMS

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! I still have to test for my fl medic so I'm not sure I can apply yet. I'm a nm and registry medic though

What steps are you having to go threw to get your medic in Florida? I hear that they don't do reciprocity. Do you just have to test or do you have to go threw their course? I'm also from florida and am considering moving back in the future.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What steps are you having to go threw to get your medic in Florida? I hear that they don't do reciprocity. Do you just have to test or do you have to go threw their course? I'm also from florida and am considering moving back in the future.

They take NREMT as proof of completion of a course. All I have to do is take their state exam.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I haven't taken it yet. Some stuff has come up at home that's got me distracted. But I'm sending out my application that's actually completed this time on Friday