Flight Medic Boots??

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
For those that are Flight Medics or know a Flight Medic. What are a pair of good boots to use for working on and around the helicopter. Not sure if there is a certain boot or will any ol ems boot do?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
For those that are Flight Medics or know a Flight Medic. What are a pair of good boots to use for working on and around the helicopter. Not sure if there is a certain boot or will any ol ems boot do?

Just don't get the ones with the 9 inch platform lifts on em.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Pretty much any EMS boot. A helicopter is just a fast, expensive, ambulance

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
Pretty much any EMS boot. A helicopter is just a fast, expensive, ambulance

Yea I figured but just didn't know if there is any inpaticular that works great in that environment or if you have to have a certain one.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
If you want to be a bit of a whacker, get a pair of Corcorans. They are the boot US paratroopers jumped in WWII and have been used by Air Cav up until Viet Nam. The leather uppers will protect your foot from debris and other abrasion and they are mighty comfortable once the break in. The leather forms to your foot very nicely

If your looking for the supreme light boot, find a pair of the Viet Nam Jungle boots, they have a totally nylon upper so they are very light and breathe well

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
If you want to be a bit of a whacker, get a pair of Corcorans.

woah- these are cool looking (totally not gonna get approved at my company... lol! ) but still cool looking:

222683917.jpg

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
One caveat is I would stay away from nylon...things that melt and Jet A flash fires don't mix well.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I am not a flight medic but I do wear my original Corcorans from back in the day @ times.

F.M.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Actually, those boots might be ideal, originally designed for tank crews, the straps are designed to replace laces because the laces had a tendency to snag on things inside the tank compartment. The same might hold true inside a helo. Although the tanks in question were Shermans from WWII

This is a Armed Forces supplier that has a list of approved flight boots for all branches
www.bellevilleshoe.com/standards.php

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I wear Dr. Martens industrial wellingtons. They are comfortable, meet all required ANSI and ASTM standards, have great ankle padding and support, and are easy on and off. In my opinion they are one of the best pairs I have worn on the helo.

DPM

Forum Captain
Jet A has a flash point of +100*F, so an actual fire is unlikely. Not to mention that 'crashing' is the most likely cause for a fire that involves the crew compartment so I wouldn't worry about the boots being Nylon at this point. If it's just a flash fire, your trouser legs will cover the nylon portion of your boot and a fire that's more serious will have your Face / Neck / Hands melting anyway :unsure:

Wear something comfortable, not too heavy and get good socks.