Flight Medic Advice

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
This is for all the folks who work as flight medics, rotor wing and fixed wing.

How much experience as an ALS did you have before you moved on to being a flight medic?

What is the most challenging part of being a flight medic?

What advice / input would you give to someone who was starting a position as a senior flight medic?

Any comment, advice, suggestions welcome

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Whats up Tunamate? I would encourage you, if you haven't already, to head over to www.flightweb.com and check out the "Getting Started" thread. There is alot of useful information there about this topic. The question has been posed pretty frequently and has a bunch of input on that thread, so it''s a good starting point. You can alway PM me if you have additional questions.

To keep things brief I would really say it depends on where you live, who the service provider's are in that area, and what the mission profile is like. You have some flight services that are mostly inter-facility transport, some alot of scene work, and some with a good mix. Anytime you can find a service with a good mix like 60/40 or 50/50 inter-facility and scene thats a great mission profile because you will see a bit of everything. I can't stress enough how important it is to do research into the safety culture, equipment, etc of the program BEFORE EVEN APPLYING. End of the day this job isn't any better then another, we all put our pants on the same way, and no job is worth dying for. Their are very safe programs, and not so safe programs. FlightWeb will be able to provide more insight on that.

Experience wise most services are looking for medics with about 5 years or more of busy 911 background behind them. If you have transport experience that will certainly help. If you have Pediatric experience that is also attractive to alot of programs because most providers lack in that area. All the alphabet courses like ACLS, PALS, ITLS/PHTLS, NRP, etc will all be requirements. A good investment would be the CCEMT-P class that UMBC has and is offered throughout the U.S. It's a good intro class to critical care transport, and a requirement for SOME programs. Eventually after you have some time in transport and good knowledge base I would say take your FP-C. Everyone has opinions of if it is decent to have before applying or not, I will say most programs are going to require it at some point after you are hired, so having it is one less thing for potential employer to have to worry about.

Me personally I worked both Fire based EMS and a critical care transport job for a large hospital based program at the same time. Applied around the 6 year mark, didn't make it my first time, got picked up on my second try. There was only one program I wanted to work for, despite having a few vendor's in my area. I have 10 years as a medic right now.

Network with the local flight providers in your area. Ask questions, do a ride along, etc. Some days you will take care of some of the sickest patient's in your career, and other days it will feel like an expensive, fast, taxi-cab. Same in EMS. I have been flying for a while now, still think I have the best job in the world, and love going to work everyday. Something to be said for that. Good luck and let me know if you have additional questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
@ Canman thanks so much man. Really appreciate the input. Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers