Flexiblity vs income

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
My wife recently brought up a good point that some how had completely slipped my mind. I'm trying to get into a PMD to RN Bridge program, while also trying to get hired by a 911 service. I currently work for an IFT where the pay isn't great, but the schedule is incredibly flexible. I can (within limits) set my own schedule which has worked out great for school thus far.

But with my GI Bill benefits running out soon, I've been working hard to get a better job. With it would come a set schedule, and a lot less flexibility. And to be completely honest, I want to be able to say that I worked 911. With enough effort I can make either option work. Has anyone else been in this situation? What would you recommend?

Summit

Critical Crazy
What is a PMD?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Summit

Critical Crazy
never seen that abbreviation

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Perhaps a typo (I know I am a repeat offender:rolleyes:).

Op, realistically it's like anything in life worth having. Sacrifices will probably have to be made, perhaps ask yourself which one(s) you can live with and without, then talk some more with the missus, good luck.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah sorry PMD is Paramedic. That's the abbreviation we use, and I forget not everyone here lives right where I do (FL).

@VentMonkey you're right. And like I said, either way I can make it work. I made it through Medic school by working multiple jobs and overtime. The GI Bill helped a lot though, and Nursing school is going to be even more expensive.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
<---- FL Guy for a long time...never referenced myself as a PMD. Might be more of a service area thing or a regional thing within FL.

I mean aside from the State data base listing us as PMD....I never saw it or heard it outside of that.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
@akflightmedic I didn't realize that putting PMD was such a contentious issue haha. I don't say it out loud but in writing I'm lazy and I'm used to abbreviating it that for reports and on certifications.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh, not a big deal....just creating dialogue in my moments of free time...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
We are curious bunch of people and we get distracted by shiny things like "PMD"

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I agree with ventmonkey though... There have to be sacrifices, and its a matter of what you and your wife think should happen... Personally, I took an EMT class over the summer strictly due to a pay-raise at work. Now i have really become interested in EMS, and just healthcare in general, and am going to go back to school(oh how i hate it) to become an RN hopefully. This is a giant sacrifice, because now no overtime, and my girlfriend will have to take up some more slack to do stuff when im not home because i work 6-4 then class 4:30-lord knows when at night.. However, i think it will be worth it, and she thought the same, so here i am doing that.