First Responder certification

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
For first responders (WFR in particular) do they need to apply for a state license like an EMT does after they get their national registry? I tried doing a google search but couldn't find anything. These would be people using their WFR under the jurisdiction of a sheriff's department.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
AFAIK, there is a NREMT certification available for FRs. At least in MA, the state DPH/OEMS doesnt care or offer certifications for First Responders. Individuals receive training (and verification) from whoever conducted the training. The company may offer a wallet card, but those mean little.
First Responder training is valuable for Police Officers and Fire Fighters, but only in the presence of a solid EMS and Ambulance system (BLS and ALS).

WFR skills are designed just for use in the wilderness-- and street certifications mean less. Its all about wilderness training.

zappa26

Forum Crew Member
The NREMT does offer a First Responder certification, as do the great majority of states. Minnesota does, I have one.

OP
OP
WarDance

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
So for someone on a rescue team with a WFR do they need to get a state certification? Does their WFR have it if they took it in this state? The whole wilderness medicine certification thing confuses me. Do they follow the same basic cirriculum as someone who gets a street first responder or is the class totally different?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
So for someone on a rescue team with a WFR do they need to get a state certification? Does their WFR have it if they took it in this state? The whole wilderness medicine certification thing confuses me. Do they follow the same basic cirriculum as someone who gets a street first responder or is the class totally different?

It's the same curriculum, plus more information and skills specifically tailored to roughing it out in the wilderness, where the ambulance isn't 15 minutes away, it's 15 hours (or 15 miles) away.

Most states don't specifically recognize a wilderness certification, and so many of the skills might be outside of the state scope of practice for a FR or EMT. For example, field reduction of dislocations.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I'll give you the Montana example.

You can get your WFR, and it is probably helpful. However, Montana does not recognize it. In MT, you must have NREMT cert. and then apply for licensure. You must also have a medical director; as a first responder, a higher level of EMT can act as medical direction. Anything above FR requires a PA/MD.

If you wish to act as part of an organization providing medical services, you must follow state protocols, unless your medical director submits a revision request for your service. You must be licensed with our Board of Medical Examiners in order to practice.

I suspect that in many states, the WFR or related will not be considered official, science-backed medicine, and thus practices outside the officially sanctioned "normal" scope will not be allowed.

Summit

Critical Crazy
In CO, there is no state recognition of the FR level. They kind of exist in a grey area. They are not bound by CO Rule 500 as prehospital providers. Technically, they are bound by standard of care and limitations otherwise establish to prohibit the practice of medicine (no surgery, for example). You could expect your FR's to operate at the FR level because any good samaritan can in good faith with proper knowledge. However, because you are organized rescue, it ultimately comes down to your medical director and your team policies say.

Here is an example entry from our Policy and Procedures manual which had to also be approved by a team lawyer and medical direction's lawyer:

Recognizing that there is no state level relationship to First Responders, Physician Director ___________ MD recommends personnel with on-file current First Responders and OECs to follow only the _______ EMT-Basic Protocols and ________ group waivers for which they have received documented training, excepting invasive procedures and involuntary restraints.

This is coupled with oversight, notably QA/QI review and yearly individual provider interviews by the medical officer who signs off and is countersigned by medical control.

Feel free to call me if you want more info. I've been wading through this particular swamp quite a bit recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
In Michigan, licensure is required for first responders.

However, they do not recognize nor license any wilderness certifications.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
In Michigan, licensure is required for first responders.

However, they do not recognize nor license any wilderness certifications.

Close, EMR and MFR can be certified but not necessarily licensed. I know ARC, ASHI (Brady text) and ESCI (AAOS) teaches some of 40-48 hour classes but, I don't hear of them very often. Wilderness falls in the same category.

Even though it is the same text, the content for MFR requires a few more hours (64?) per Michigan guidelines. In order to take the license exam an MFR course has to be submitted, be approved through MDCH and taught by a licensed I/C in the same manner as other EMT courses.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Close, EMR and MFR can be certified but not necessarily licensed. I know ARC, ASHI (Brady text) and ESCI (AAOS) teaches some of 40-48 hour classes but, I don't hear of them very often. Wilderness falls in the same category.

Even though it is the same text, the content for MFR requires a few more hours (64?) per Michigan guidelines. In order to take the license exam an MFR course has to be submitted, be approved through MDCH and taught by a licensed I/C in the same manner as other EMT courses.

You're right - you can be certified as a "First Responder" by the ARC or any number of other agencies. My program uses this certification extensively to provide "Advanced First Aid" services at local special events.

However, you can not work for a licensed First Responder EMS agency without taking an MDCH-approved MFR class and completing the state licensing exam.

I guess to focus on the OP's question, it would depend on what you are doing for your Sheriff's Department, and whether or not you have to be licensed or just certified for the job.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
You're right - you can be certified as a "First Responder" by the ARC or any number of other agencies. My program uses this certification extensively to provide "Advanced First Aid" services at local special events.
Ann Arbor ARC does a lot of event services...Go Blue!

I guess to focus on the OP's question, it would depend on what you are doing for your Sheriff's Department, and whether or not you have to be licensed or just certified for the job.

From what I understand, the PD academy includes an EMR course. Unless they are public safety, few allow oxygen delivery so there is really no reason to have a license. EMR can deliver up to 6 liters without medical direction.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Ann Arbor ARC does a lot of event services...Go Blue!

From what I understand, the PD academy includes an EMR course. Unless they are public safety, few allow oxygen delivery so there is really no reason to have a license. EMR can deliver up to 6 liters without medical direction.

That's the program I manage...

I'm not sure where the "up to 6 liters" thing came from. I know it's been discussed in our area because the county medical director didn't want to allow it for a certain group of first responders. Do you have anything that actually says they can only provide 6 liters? And, in any case, all FR programs should have a medical director and standing protocols/orders to include high-flow oxygen when appropriate.