First Interview, First Job....Maybe :)

EMTSic

Forum Probie
I applied for an ambulance company about a month ago and I received the conditional job offer. This week I took the drug test, back test, medical, and physical.

If I passed the back test i should be hired.

Wish me luck! I find out sometime next week.

OP
OP
E

EMTSic

Forum Probie
I'll let you know when I know if I get it or not :)

It is in SoCal though.

Artst10

Forum Crew Member
Job Interview Part 1

I took my written test and went through the oral interview... They gave me a scenario question like this : You receive a call from a patients wife who states her husband is acting "bizarre". You arrive on scene, local deputies are already on scene and in the house what do you do next?

it was an obvious altered mental status, possibly behavioral but there are several causes. I went in with partner with a caution making sure to interview the patient out of the kitchen. ( I know I made the assumption it was behavioral to start) Questioned the husband about how he was feeling, he denied any strange feelings, said he was fine. Wife said otherwise, had partner interview wife separately a distance away while I performed initial assessment. Patient presented with being very sweaty, with slurred speech, still insisting he was fine. Wife stated husband had no past medical history of altered mental status, onset of symptoms were rapid, his breathing was rapid and shallow. Wife stated he had been working in the garage on his car all morning or afternoon. I can't remember the other stuff. But I gave him o2 with a non re breather mask 15 lpm. Performed OPQRST and SAMPLE from both husband and wife. Asked if the O2 was helping at all the interviewer said no. called medical direction, determined high priority due to respiratory issues, and performed base line vitals.

I know I could have been more thorough.

After that they asked why did I want to work for them, what made me make the jump from art to emt and if I had any other questions. Then they would let me know if I move on to the 2nd interview about mid week this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

cherpy66

Forum Crew Member
sounds good.

it looks like you did a thorough assessment. and thats a curveball from the company. Did u ask about diabetes? extreme sweatiness and aloc are tell tell signs of low blood glucose. id bet the company doesnt expect you to be perfect at an assessment at this point, they just want tou to know the core of an emt. good luck!

Artst10

Forum Crew Member
it looks like you did a thorough assessment. and thats a curveball from the company. Did u ask about diabetes? extreme sweatiness and aloc are tell tell signs of low blood glucose. id bet the company doesnt expect you to be perfect at an assessment at this point, they just want tou to know the core of an emt. good luck!

I went through onset, provocation quality , radiation , severity and time.
Sudden onset, rapid shallow breathing, n/a for quality, and so on

Mostly had to rely on wife because husband insisted he was fine. through his slurred speech.

Wife answered that he was in the garage all morning working on his car, she did not see him until he came back into the living room to sit down. Which is when he presented with slurred speech. That's when she called ems because he was acting bizzare. She said he's never had this before, the onset was rapid, severe sweating, breathing was rapid and shallow, gave o2

went over SAMPLE with wife, nothing... symptoms where what you saw, no allergies, no meds, last oral intake doesn't know she was somewhere else and events were just what we could get out of the husband and what the wife witnessed. When he came in from the garage. Because O2 wasn't having an affect I felt medical control, als and transport was needed. From what he presented it seemed like the patient would have to be bagged. since he didn't seem capable of taking full breaths.

cherpy66

Forum Crew Member

I bet ur fine. all the assessment was a test if you knew the basics of an assessment. thats why there was no true determining factor of what was happening so u had to go through an entire opqrst and sample. sounds like u did fine. just relax and i hope u get it. somtimes ems agencies are a pain, so just be patient.

Artst10

Forum Crew Member
I bet ur fine. all the assessment was a test if you knew the basics of an assessment. thats why there was no true determining factor of what was happening so u had to go through an entire opqrst and sample. sounds like u did fine. just relax and i hope u get it. somtimes ems agencies are a pain, so just be patient.

Thank! ^_^ Keeping busy through study, practice and applying to other companies is helping.

quewiwi

Forum Probie
Yeah, sounds like you did a good assessment. I like hearing scenarios and just brainstorming differential diagnoses. Could have conked himself on the head with something (even though the physical exam doesn't support this) but my first two causes I would want to rule out would be low glucose and stroke. Both take but a few minutes to rule out in the field. Good looking out on contacting medical control!

Worst case, you don't get the job and you walk away with an interview experience under your belt and a load more confidence in knowing what to expect...which doesn't sound that bad!