First EMT job

Digger

Forum Probie
Ok, Im not sure if something like this has been covered or not, and if it has, could someone be so kind as to direct me to it?

Anyways, The situation I have boils down to this: I got a job offer from a small company with a somewhat shady reputation. They want me to start training next week. I had an interview today with a bigger, better company, which I think went pretty well and the guy told me that Im a very good candidate, but they're still interviewing and that I would hear one way or another by the end of next week. He said he's interviewing about 40 ppl for 10 positions... So my question is this- is it better to take any emt job you can get to slide your foot in the door and get experience in the field, or could it possibly harm you in getting hired somewhere else later if you take the first job you can get at a shady company?

Im so torn because I really want to start in the field, and I can't decide if Im being too picky and counting my chickens before they hatch in not taking this job offer....
Any advice??

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do you know how long it will be before you will hear back from the bigger company? If so, can you push off orientation and training until that time?

OP
OP
D

Digger

Forum Probie
Yeah, they told me theyd let me know one way or the other by next week. I think I will try to push back training...

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Ummm, I'm sorry, but if this company already has a shady reputation, it's likely that having them on your resume will affiliate you in a way that you don't wanna be affiliated. Most likely will give you a negative reputation and that can be harder to overcome than inexperience. Take care, be safe and be smart. Push off the training and seriously sit down and consider whether this could jeopardize your chances of hiring at a better service later on - especially if the reputation is able to be verified !

Southpaw

Forum Ride Along
What if you push back training with the shady company, they end up hiring someone else and you don't get hired by the bigger, better company? It could be months before you land another job offer.

The EMT job market is tough in SD. Take whatever job you can get NOW and upgrade later. The training/experience will only help you when and if you get hired by the bigger, better company.

airraid

Forum Ride Along
There's no reason you can't accept the first job, and then if the better one hires you, just switch to that. It's not like you'll need Shady Inc. to be a reference for you.

That way, if the better one doesn't work out - you're still on board somewhere.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's no reason you can't accept the first job, and then if the better one hires you, just switch to that. It's not like you'll need Shady Inc. to be a reference for you.

Maybe I was raised old fashion, but it is better to avoid job hopping. Yes, take better jobs when they come around, however I would be careful about racking up a bunch of 1 week or 2 month jobs (seasonal and temp are another story, but how many ambulance companies hire temporary EMTs? Part time? Sure, temp? Not so much). If someone is trying to hire an EMT and sees a new EMT, or an EMT that has worked at 4 different ambulance jobs in the past year, there's a good chance that the new EMT is going to get the job. After all, why spend $5-600 training someone who is probably going to be gone in 2 months?

airraid

Forum Ride Along
I'm not saying do a whole bunch of hopping - just in his case when he has one good and one not so good option - to take the first and if the better one comes - jump on it. He definitely shouldn't do that multiple times in a year or even at all. But for the first - hell yeah, get the good one.

Gotta look out for yourself in any career. Don't screw anyone over in the process, but still look out for you.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Gotta look out for yourself in any career. Don't screw anyone over in the process, but still look out for you.

Not screwing anyone over means two week's notice, in my book. No company I've worked for would hire anyone with just one week of work on their resume, assuming someone was dumb enough to put it there in the first place. I'd see if I could push back training. Contacting the bigger company and seeing when they'd want you to start if you get it might also be an option--if it's two weeks or more out from when you'd start with Shady, I'd take the job offer for now.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No company I've worked for would hire anyone with just one week of work on their resume, assuming someone was dumb enough to put it there in the first place.

The problem is that if you omit it from your resume and application and the new company finds out, then it gives them for cause termination if and when they choose to.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The problem is that if you omit it from your resume and application and the new company finds out, then it gives them for cause termination if and when they choose to.

Depends on the company and application. A lot ask for "most recent," "most relevant," or "most significant" job experiences, and prefer one-page resumes. That gives applicants quite a bit of room to leave some things unsaid, especially if they're never directly asked.

Leaving it off anything that's supposed to be a complete employment history is much more risky, of course.

reaper

Working Bum
As Linus stated, EMS community is small. If there are 15 private companies in the town, you can bet that all the owners talk to each other. Most reputable companies are not going to hold it against you, if you work for a company with a shady rep. What they will look at is job hopping.

I am more likely to hire someone looking to improve their work environment over someone that has jumped jobs to often.

If you are looking at going on to Medic school, then I would take the offer you have. Everything I have read from the Cali folks says that the job market is tough. On top of that, you need 1 year experience to get into a medic school. So, take the offer you have, do the job right, gain the experience and learn how to deal with Pt's. That is what you will need in the long run.

No offense here, but try not to take job advice from someone that has not worked in the field. The EMS community is very different then other job fields and one wrong move can screw your career in that area.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I would consider a current job in EMS that is also someone's first to be recent, relevant, and significant when applying to EMS jobs. Of course in this case, since the applications were filled out prior to taking a job I'd argue that there's no risk involved. However if the better job turns out to be not quite as expected, then there's a large possibilities of problems when applying for that third job.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I would consider a current job in EMS that is also someone's first to be recent, relevant, and significant when applying to EMS jobs. Of course in this case, since the applications were filled out prior to taking a job I'd argue that there's no risk involved. However if the better job turns out to be not quite as expected, then there's a large possibilities of problems when applying for that third job.

I'd personally agree with that. I'm just trotting out the arguments I've heard people considering, or using when confronted. Same group that'll justify not giving notice, incidentally.

EMS is a small and close-knit group locally, but it's possible to get away with quite a lot if you're willing to move to a brand new area. I work/volunteer for a few places that are pretty far from each other. I'm pretty sure that I could get away with a lot at one without being noticed at the other, if I were so inclined. Getting hired to a new job might be harder, but some places really don't investigate as thoroughly as they should.

(Of course I'm not actually advocating that the OP do any of this. People without ethics don't belong in EMS.)

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
why not call the bigger company and be honest with them about your situation. tell them you have been offered another position, how much they are willing to pay, and when they want you to start. then tell them you would rather work for the better company but you need an offer and see how they respond. don't threaten them just be honest the same way you were in your original post. if they want you they offer a position on the spot.

at an old job, I was already employed, I told my boss I had another job offer and was thinking of quitting, he offered me 20 percent raise right then and there to keep me on board.