first day..

whiteoleander28

Forum Probie
First day at a private ambulance company tomorrow...kinda nervous to say the least so any advice/suggestions from anyone would be really appreciated! Thanks

medic417

The Truth Provider
First day at a private ambulance company tomorrow...kinda nervous to say the least so any advice/suggestions from anyone would be really appreciated! Thanks

Learn your protocols, policys, and procedures. Do chores. Learn your ambulance better than the back of your hand. If you do not know how something works ask, don't wait till a patient needs it to try and learn.

Hope you have a great first day.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a job. Be professional, take it seriously. Show up early, bring doughnuts, walk that fine line between being helpful and being a pest. (staying on the helpful side). When you screw up, apologize, don't defend it. If you do something wrong or something is being done differently than the way you learned it, ask someone to show you the right way to do it during a slower time (during a code is not the time to ask for special help)

Sasha

Forum Chief
bring doughnuts,

This also work at clinicals! :D

Good luck, have your stuff ready, don't show up with out a steth and some pens, don't be a pest, but don't sit in the corner with your hands in your lap either.

If you don't know something, don't pretend you do and keep going.

I had one partner who was new who did not know how to take a BP. Instead of saying something, he made them all up and we'd look really stupid when we got to the ER and our report had a BP of 122/80 and their BP in all actuality was in the 80s. Don't be that kinda guy

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I never brought dougnuts. I was there to learn or start my job, not buy praise from co-workers, buts its up to you and the culture of the agencies around you.

medic417

The Truth Provider
How did your partner become an EMT without the ability to take a BP.

You would be shocked at what many certification mills are turning out. That and way to often with in station classes its their buddy doing the training ( not education ) so they let stupidity slide.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
Ask lots of questions, from operations to patient care. (You just finished EMT school, but your education is only beginning, trust me.) If you don't know something, be up front about it. When you are corrected, don't get defensive - but at the same token, don't let anyone run over you or try to make you do something you know is wrong. Be honest. If you have a problem with someone, take it up directly with them before you go above them.

And have fun!

But skip the doughnuts. Bring a professional and easygoing attitude instead. Once your coworkers see that you are eager to learn, they should help you.

Sasha

Forum Chief
But skip the doughnuts. Bring a professional and easygoing attitude instead. Once your coworkers see that you are eager to learn, they should help you.

I don't see doughnuts as trying to buy off your new coworker, more of a sign of good will, "Hey, I'm happy to be here!" kind of thing.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I brought doughnuts to a clinical I had at a Firestation... they loved them and even commented to my teacher about it, and about how well I did B)

Co-winky-dink? I think not!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well, if you MUST bring them...I like chocolate cream filled.

Well, if you ever come to Texas, I'll owe you one.

It might just be me, but the thought of shipping a doughnut through the mail doesn't sit too well.

Sasha

Forum Chief

It might just be me, but the thought of shipping a doughnut through the mail doesn't sit too well.

Well if you overnight it...

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member

LOL, you got it, Linuss. I'll bring along the New Orleans version - beignets!

Oh, and so we aren't accused of thread-hijacking...to the OP, a small pocket notebook is a good thing to have, too.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Thanks all for your advice...very valuable :)

So today is your big day!! Have fun! Good luck, come back and report all the details! (Except identifying details, of course. No HiPAA violations your first day!)

(Or ever.) :glare:

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
So today is your big day!! Have fun! Good luck, come back and report all the details! (Except identifying details, of course. No HiPAA violations your first day!)

(Or ever.) :glare:

Yea, I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings from a fresh first day. Oh, and good luck!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
you will be great today. Everything that you learned in class has hopefully been engraved in your mind and has become a second nature by now. Be yourself you have no one to impress the only person there that matters is you ...and your patient who will be none the wiser if you take too long. they will love you i'm sure. if you get stuck on something just remember there is no one in this field who knows everything there is to know.