First Day Paramedic School... Yikes!!

18G

Paramedic
Advice... just commit and totally immerse yourself in the subject. Read the textbook, go back and make highlights in the textbook, type up notes from class and excerpts from the textbook and other sources. Listen to podcasts on different topics (search iTunes - free). Make drug cards.

I found the Brady book to be very general leaving me with lots of questions and gaps. eMedicine is a great source (http://emedicine.medscape.com/emergency_medicine) to help make the information more complete. The articles even have a pre-hospital treatment section.

It's a long ride but I think its worth it. Im been experiencing more stress than enjoyment at the moment with being a newer Medic but its still fun.

Good luck with your endeavor! Keep us updated on how ur doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ENS0

Forum Ride Along
I just started medic last week here in north florida and I'm probably more nervous than you, because i have ZERO exp. as an EMT-B! my class is 11 months and A&P was strongly recommended but not required. thave a 6 month one at a school called FMTI buts its 2,000 more with no financial aid. LAME!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I just started medic last week here in north florida and I'm probably more nervous than you, because i have ZERO exp. as an EMT-B! my class is 11 months and A&P was strongly recommended but not required. thave a 6 month one at a school called FMTI buts its 2,000 more with no financial aid. LAME!

College level A&P I and II is required here. I think it is silly for it not to be. Some places try to cram that A&P for paramedics but it just doesn't compare to a quality class. It really helps you from not getting lost in medical, trauma, pharmacology and cardiology.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm just starting the application process now to P school. Limited field experience, should be a fun year. 12 month class, about 1400 hrs total, 500 of which are didactic and the rest is internships and clinicals. Plus I can tack on 56 units from the University here and add an EMS managment certificate too.

A&P is reccomended but not required.

Looking forward to a long year :) Good luck fellas!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
College level A&P I and II is required here. I think it is silly for it not to be. Some places try to cram that A&P for paramedics but it just doesn't compare to a quality class. It really helps you from not getting lost in medical, trauma, pharmacology and cardiology.

General Chemistry isn't even suggested, and I will bet the farm that a year of general chemistry is even more useful in paramedic class than a year of A&P.

Piper76

Forum Probie
Our class is on A shift from 0900 to 1700, in addition to our clinical rotations on top of that. The class is 3 semesters on the A shift schedule.