first day on the job

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
well guys i got a call from the ambulance company that i was trying to get on with and my driving check cleared and they are having me come in for orientation and learning how things work on the ambulance and ill be doing 3rd person ride along now they may put me on by myself towards the end but not sure. they are working me on a 72 hour shift.

now heres were i need everyones help lol as im not sure what to expect going in lol also now i went out and bought a 3 pair of EMS pants. now how does this work do you change everyday do you shower ever day (god i hope so lol) what do i need to bring besides my equipment and uniform???? do i need to bring stuff like a pillow and a blanket. what ever you guys can help me with PLEASE lol i feel kinda lost or like a chicken with his head cut off and im still running lol. also do i need to bring something to sleep in like a pair of shorts or do you sleep in your pants???

now this is station life i dont sit out on a street corner in the ambulance.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Good on you Milhouse for getting the job.
I hope it goes well for you!
As far as things like blankets, sheets, pillows go. If it's anything like our station, which I have stayed at for a few night shifts. They should have all the linen there, stored in a large linen cupboard. (After all they do carry it on the ambulances:)). But it maybe different in the States , so the others maybe able to reiterate on that question.
As far as what you sleep in, well that would be up to you, I would think.
I wouldn't sleep in my uniform, so it's nice and fresh for when you get a job ( I have heard of a few that do).
As far as showering etc, that is personal hygiene, if you think you need a shower, have one.
Another thing to take to the station, unless they have vending machines, is a bit of comfort food!

Good Luck!
Cheers Enjoynz

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
To go bag!

Well first off congrats for getting the job! Second, yes bathing is a very good thing for your yourself and your partners! (think about BSI!) :) I always brought with me a small toilet kit with the basics and a few OTC meds (Advil, Tylenol etc.) in case I got a few aches and pains. I also bought a small cooler with food in cause I got held over and I would get sick of eating fast food! :wacko:
As far bedding, my pillow and favorite sleeping bag came to quarters, (I am a fussy butt about that stuff) and does your service allow you to change into jump suits after a certain hour? Find out if they do, makes getting out of bed at 0200 a lot easier and FASTER. I slept in my unders and boot socks, since I am what I am, (;)) I wore a sports bra at night, one less thing to fight with.
Last but not least, welcome to the tribe!! Hope this helps! ;)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
72 hour shift? are you and your company out of your minds? 3 straight days at work, no thank you sir!

bring three uniforms, a toilet kit, bed linen type stuff(i prefer a sleeping bag), entertainment material(books, dvds, laptop etc).

i cant believe anybody would consider letting someone work a 72 hour shift. thats insanity.

OP
OP
M

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
thanks guys for all the help i just got back from the store buying food and i bought a book to read tom clancy's splinter cell "fallout" ive read the other 3 books they are a great series and im not much of a reader so for these books to catch my attention they have to be good lol. but ill let you guys know how it all went when i get back.

im really looking forward to this shift my first shift.

OP
OP
M

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
hey guys just wanted to give you guys an update on how things went for me.

every thing went great on that 72 hour shift up until the end. the first day there we didnt do a single run till 1am which i missed because i was third person on the medic truck and they had a hard time waking me up, plus i wasnt sleeping in my uniform. so for right now as long as im on the medic truck i have to sleep in my uniform. which sucks lol. then the first call that i went on was for a transfer from a nursing home because the PT fell a couple days ago and was complaining of hip pain so it was a possible hip/femur fx. we transported him. then my second call was a MVC w/ unknown injuries so i got to play with the lights and sirens lol. when we got there the occupants of the vehicle were really lucky because it was a rollover but the incisted on signing an AMA which we explained in full detail the risks. but they still signed one.

so anyways the next day i did a lot of transfers i had a transfer out to louisiana. that was fun. had one other PT transfer that day. and then we ran into the bad bad bad storms coming back. well when we got back tot he station/main base. we found out that a tournado had hit parts of AR. and that the director of EMS over the state called and wants all availible ambulances sent out so i ended up going out to melbourne to stand by. we sent out 3 ambulances from our location. my truck didnt transport anyone but there was a person that was transported. her house had landed on top of her and her husband was DOA next to her. kinda sad. so i didnt get back to the station till 4 am that morning.

i pulled a 24 last night and im standing by the next 2 days so i dont have to drive 3 and 1/2 hours back home. but i have a PT transfer coming up tonight. which im only going to get paid for those hours since im not scheduled to work today im not on the clock till that tranfer comes up im basically just staying here. but monday im picking up another 72 hour shift. and then next sunday im picking up another 72 hour shift. so i got some hours coming which is nice because it means a decent paycheck.

but anyways i just wanted to give you guys an update and to let you know that im OK from those tournado's (for those of you that know me and PM'd me).

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing like running like hell your first time out, I'm glad you are safe, it might be a good idea to keep a few protein bars and a bottle of water on the bus with you in case you get pulled out for a long time. Stay safe and well! ;)

OP
OP
M

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
yeah the day that the tournado hit i had been going since 5am that morning. i was on the medic truck that morning and had a transfer to childrens hospital for a 3 M/O baby. and then had that transfer out to louisiana. and then a transfer when we got back (10-8) and transfered that PT. then got the tournado. lol so yeah i had almost been going for 24 hours that day. lol