First BLS Clinical

Brianvan0716

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

Since I'm getting ready for my first BLS clinical and I wanted to pick the brains of everyone who has been in my shoes.

What are the do's and dont's clinicals and what things would you have done different when you did yours?

Thanks so much,

Brian

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
Do: ask lots of questions. Never be afraid to be unsure.

Don't: lie. If you didn't do something/couldn't hear something/did something wrong, admit it.

OP
OP
B

Brianvan0716

Forum Ride Along
Thanks!! At this point since we are learning soo much at once, Is there anything I should brush up on before I head out such as vitals signs refresher and stuff like that?

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Do: If you're unsure how to do something, ask. Don't say you know how & end up looking like a rere when you fail.
Do: The beds & clean rooms. You're not over qualified to do that. It'll make your preceptor happy for one and secondly they'll be much more opt to let you get your hands dirty with when it comes to pt. care & assessment.
Do: ENJOY your learning experience whether it be on a run or in the ED. There are no 'stupid' runs when you're learning the ropes.

Don't: Don't ever lie.
Don't: DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. There are NO stupid questions when you're learning or doing something for the first few times.
Don't: Don't feel embarrassed, ashamed, or stupid if you don't know how to do something or are unaware of what something means. We've all been there, including those paramedics & nurses that are precepting you.

*Aimed both toward your ambulance time as well as your ED rotations.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!B)

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Take food. Bagels work well, and make sure all the nurses see you carry them into the backroom.

Learn how to access storage rooms and equipment carts. Familiarize youself w/ locations.

Drink lots of water, you will be doing a lot of walking and more work than it actually feels like.

Smell good but not obvious, have shears, ears, pen, notepad, watch. Make friends w/ the techs most likely their jobs are closer to your level than the nurses.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ask lots of questions... But be quiet if they wanna sleep.

Make sure you know your vital sign ranges. Do your own assessment quietly to yourself and see if yours matches theirs.

Never argue or question your people in front of a patient. Or at all for that matter unless they are about to do something really wrong or bad.

But be poliet. Make friends. In the ERs change beds clean rooms. And just be as helpful as you can. And don't forget to take a lunch and stuff to do.

OP
OP
B

Brianvan0716

Forum Ride Along
Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback!!! Had a unique first clinical in a ALS unit and tomorrow is level 1 trauma hospital.

fingers crossed!