Fire/EMS Pagers

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Hello Everybody. I have a question regarding the use of fire/ems pagers. If I were to buy a moterola advisor pager, is the dispatch frequency my trunked radio system uses the frequency you type into the pager? Im confused. What will it show? Have you used a pager before? Thanks!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not only do you need the frequency information, you need the control tones programmed in also. Your agency should be able to provide you this information...as a matter of fact, your agency should be providing you with the pager.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't know as my service issues the motorola minitor V pager.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello Everybody. I have a question regarding the use of fire/ems pagers. If I were to buy a moterola advisor pager, is the dispatch frequency my trunked radio system uses the frequency you type into the pager? Im confused. What will it show? Have you used a pager before? Thanks!

Why would you be buying this pager? Are you allowed by your agency to have radio equipment other than that issued to you? In our agency this is forbidden because when you leave our agency, we only have the legal right to ask for the return of the radio/pager we gave you. If something ugly were to happen and we ask someone to leave, we don't want them running around with their private radio/pager programmed to a secure frequency.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I cant see any reason why you would need a pager programmed to your service's frequency when not on call or at work. If/when you are at work, you will be given whatever equipment you need.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I have no idea about the alpha pagers. Everyone around here uses Minitor voice pagers. I do have a minitor that I bought and programmed so I know a little about these.

With the minitor pagers you need the dispatch frequency and the two tone frequencies that set the pager off.

Some sites that you might want to check out are radioreference.com and http://batboard.batlabs.com/index.php

You might be able to find some answers there.

As for being allowed to have your own pager, I don't see how they can forbid it. You cannot transmit on it and people have been scanning for years, pretty much the same idea.

I got my own because I am a member of two departments so I have it programmed for both instead of having two pagers. Plus I can have it setup the way I want.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I
As for being allowed to have your own pager, I don't see how they can forbid it.

Just because something isn't forbidden doesn't make it a good idea.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
As for being allowed to have your own pager, I don't see how they can forbid it. You cannot transmit on it and people have been scanning for years, pretty much the same idea.

That depends. Since the OP was talking about a trunked system, there is a possibility that the transmissions are encrypted.

Secondly, since the OP is talking about a Motorola Pager, he will need to get it programmed at the dealer or by his agency...neither of which is under any obligation to do so, or even provide him with the information he needs to get it programmed.