Fire Department or Private Industry?

kindle360

Forum Ride Along
Hi, my name is Joe and I'm relatively new to EMS.

I'm a Veteran, I'm an EMT-Basic, and I'm on the top of the firefighter civil service list in my town (a town in Massachusetts). Family and friends are putting tremendous pressure on me to take the job (if offered). They basically say I would be an idiot if I didn't take it. I even had a fellow EMT basic (who stated that he hated the medical part of fire service and just wanted to fight fires) tell me "I would pay to be in your shoes."

The problem is, unlike my fellow EMT buddy there, I like the medical part and not the firefighting part. Any suggestions for me? Would it be a wise choice to take the job for the money and the benefits? (since, of course, the money and benefits would far exceed that of the privates). My town will pay for Paramedic school and has all ALS trucks (but I'll be on the ambulance probably biweekly for a 48-hour shift and all other times on a pumper or ladder truck or something like that).

Or do you suggest pursuing my newly found interest in medical science without the help of my town (and thus, not doing firefighter 1 and 2 stuff just for the hell of it)? Or maybe you have another (kind!) suggestion for me.

Thanks for reading!

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Your friends and family (and the fellow EMT who'd pay to take your place) aren't the ones who have to actually show up and do the work. YOU do.

So, you and you alone have to make the decision of whether or not to take it!

As you've stated, there are monetary reasons to take the offer. Money doesn't make a person happy, but it does pay the rent and buy food, which is helpful.

Look at it this way, if you DIDN'T take the offer, what are your other options? Are there other opportunities that would be more fulfilling for you? Would you have to then pay for your own Paramedic school, and how much does that factor into it?

If nothing else, take the opportunity, get the Paramedic cert [paid for!!], stick it out for a couple years and if you really don't like it you can always move on to something else.

Unless your current situation is such that you're truly happy there, and you don't WANT to leave. In which case, don't.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you don't like firefighting, and just take the job for the money, you will not be a good firefighter, in the same way that someone who just gets their paramedic to become a firefighter will not be a good paramedic. I'm not saying don't take the job, but it's something to consider.

Now, if you really aren't thrilled about firefighting, is there another way for you to get your paramedic? Assuming you're OK with moving, a military veteran paramedic can probably score any number of good EMS only jobs in the Northeast area.

Also everything AtlasFlyer said is good advice.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You sound like you've got a similar thought process as me. I love medicine, would rather not run into a burning building though.

With that said, if they're going to pay for medic school and you're going to work on a box a decent amount of the time I'd say go for it. Medic school is expensive. Like you said, fire jobs pay much better than private EMS does, generally have "better" schedules and god benefits (I have fantastic benefits from my EMS agency, 401k isn't great but it's something and we get a good employer match at 5%, the rest of the benefits are on par or better than the FDs around here from what I hear but that's not the norm). I don't work for an FD but I know many FFs hate working on the box, I'd assume if you voiced an interest in working on the box the majority of the time they wouldn't be opposed to making that happen but I may be very wrong and that'll vary department to department. Unless you can get on as a "single roll" medic, which it doesn't sound like you can, you're going to have to work on an apparatus sometimes but you'll still be going on EMS runs to support the ambulance and be able to do assessments and skills then not have to do any of the paperwork!

There's a lot more to working for a FD than running into burning buildings. You'll have the opportunity to participate in tech rescues, auto extrications, and other fun stuff. If I could build my dream job I'd be a paramedic on a box for an FD full time that got to stay away from fighting fires but got to play with all the fun rescue toys, but that's just me.

I'd personally say if they offer you a spot, take it. Get your medic for free, get some EMT and eventually medic experience, test the waters and see how you like the FF side of it then decide if you want to stay or if you want to go somewhere else down the road. Use the opportunity to network, which is key to land yourself a good job if you decide firefighting is not for you. You're buddy is right, fire jobs are hard to come by and many would kill to be in your position. A vet, with a paramedic card (that you didn't have to pay for) BLS and ALS experience along with fire experience is going to boost you to the top of most EMS agencies' hiring list if that's the way you decide to go, especially since those agencies aren't really going to be worried about you using them as a stepping stone just to get into the fire business. FWIW, I know my agency hates hiring people they know are only trying to get in so they can get experience just to boost their fire resume. They do it but they don't like it.

Hope this helps! Good luck in whatever path you choose and thank you for your service to our country!

CFal

Forum Captain
Most FD calls are of medical nature anyways. I would take the FD job, much better working environment than a private service where you very well may end up burned out of EMS.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Take the fire job. You'll be doing mostly ems, very few fires (depending where you work), and other fun stuff. More opportunity for advancement, pay is almost always significantly better being a fire medic (dual roles), and gov benefits cannot be beat.

In my head, if you like ems and medicine, you'll most likely enjoy the fire side as well. Personal opinion.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with alot of what's been said. I also prefer EMS over firefighting, but like was mentioned, most of our call volume (in the FD) is EMS.

I will say this, having gotten on a FD is the BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME (from a career point of view) as the city pays FOR EVERY SINGLE THING I want to pursue, educationally and certifications.

The city is the best employer I've ever had and I've had a few. They pay for everything and they have never missed a paycheck. I can't say that for some of these private companies.

Not to mention, a city has actual EMS standards that have to be met. They typically don't just put you in an ambulance and say "There you go. Go pick up the first transfer".

Now, of course, not all cities are the same and some are better than others to work for, but if you're even half as fortunate as I am, you'll LOVE working for the city.

Take care man

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
If I thought that there was a snowball's chance as a fresh EMT, 50 and out of shape to go FF/medic I'd quit my day job and run with it :rolleyes: But I'm tired of my day job, I like medical and the practical/community aspects of FF so that's just me.

You may find philosophically that fire work is helping people when they need it most, if that's your EMS motivation. Why do you not like the fire part, if you look at FF from many sides it's not just knuckle dragging.

There are some opportunities where you have to strike while the iron is hot and you have to decide if this is one of those times or if you'll be OK at 50 realizing that you had a shot but didn't take it.

OK, done rambling ;)

Expat2013

Forum Ride Along
If you get in shape for the CPAT; age won't matter as some departments prefer life experience over youth.

OP
OP
K

kindle360

Forum Ride Along
Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to reply to my thread. You certainly gave me some things to think about. And the firefighting part, too, is of course helping people out in a pinch. I'm just trying to find how my talents and skills can be used most effectively.