fire and ems departments

c_looney2006

Forum Probie
Not really sure were to post this so here it goes

Here in missouri most departments are fire and ems together....I'm about complete with my emt basic and was woundering how likely am I to get onto a department with only a basic certifaction. Now kansas city as Mast ambulance that is not apart of kc fire (but that's changing) independence has amr, but almost every other town is a combo department. So does anyone have any thoughts about chances to get hired on and maybe other departments in the kansas city area that have there ems set spart from there fire.

Note: I just don't really have a passion to run into a burning building, no offense to the men and women that do that, its just don't my thing..

Jaybro713

Forum Probie
I would say to just go and talk to those departments. I am just an EMT basic and I work for 2 fire departments as just that, a basic. Although I recently got hired as a firefighter for one of them, they both just hired me for the ambulance corps. So I would go and speak to those departments and see how they operate.

OP
OP
C

c_looney2006

Forum Probie
I've been on some of the middle to larger sized departments website and the ones that are hiring all have the requirments of fire 1 & 2 and basic or medic...so I'm just a little worried. I plan on taking my medic starting next sept. If I have too I can take fire 1 & 2 this spring, but I really want to try and adviod that.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Consider a different career?

I've been on some of the middle to larger sized departments website and the ones that are hiring all have the requirments of fire 1 & 2 and basic or medic...so I'm just a little worried. I plan on taking my medic starting next sept. If I have too I can take fire 1 & 2 this spring, but I really want to try and adviod that.

Unless your heart is in it, you shouldn't do fire fighter I & II. That is the biggest complaint about Fire-Based EMS. Firefighters who only go to medic school so they can get paid more, but they really don't want to be medics.

So if your EMS systems are fire-based and you don't want to do fire, then you should consider moving or a different career. Perhaps you could go to nursing school instead of Paramedic school. Just a thought.....

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Not really sure were to post this so here it goes

Here in missouri most departments are fire and ems together....I'm about complete with my emt basic and was woundering how likely am I to get onto a department with only a basic certifaction. Now kansas city as Mast ambulance that is not apart of kc fire (but that's changing) independence has amr, but almost every other town is a combo department. So does anyone have any thoughts about chances to get hired on and maybe other departments in the kansas city area that have there ems set spart from there fire.

Note: I just don't really have a passion to run into a burning building, no offense to the men and women that do that, its just don't my thing..

Missouri also has 'Ambulance Districts'. Public funded EMS and you will find one in just about every county. For bigger bucks, get your medic license and look at some of the districts that surround St. Louis. Several are IAFF shops and one in particular (also the largest ambulance district in the state) pays extremely well.