Fire Alarms

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Okay, not necc. EMS talk, but...

In your area, on a commercial fire alarm, how many trucks roll to it? In the city where I grew up they would always send out a minimum of five trucks and one command vehicle. Keep in mind that all five trucks were coming from different stations. What is it in your area?

Chimp

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
If it's an automatic alarm, I usually see two - three trucks (engines, ladder, etc). If it's a call in by a real person, they usually send at least that, plus some. As soon as it goes 35 (working) half the battalion plus minimum 2 busses show up. :)

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
For us, generally an engine, the ambulance and the BC, but we'll usually have a second engine staffed and ready to go if needed.

More often than not, the ambulance or BC will be first on scene and will determine its a false alarm before the engine even arrives.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In my county, it varies from department to department (My sandbox syndrome).

If it is called into county, with a report from the alarm co, that someone on site with passcode states no fire, set of by burnt food, requests no response... some Co's still send a fire response, some just let a Chief officer know, and they usually drive by and check.

If it is called in as "alarm sounding" by a real person, or a Waterflow/fire alarm by an Alarm Co.... with no reports of any fire/smoke condition, it is dispatched as an Automatic Alarm.... the response here varies.... during the day, some companies will call for almost a full box assignment (several engines, ladders, etc), because that way, usually at least 1 engine will get out from 1 of 3 companies.

My company sends 1st engine at emergency speed, 2nd at reduced rate, to stage at hydrant, and AT LEAST one chief, running hot "Rushing to Recall" - to beat the engine in so they can cancel the Co..... stupid.... just go to station and help get the truck on the street.

As soon as there is a report of a smoke condition, or sometimes even an odor..., it gets upgraded to a full "dwelling / building" response.

Also, some places will send more apparatus on a "high hazard" box.... the High School, or a Nursing Home, for an Alarm might get an extra engine or 2, and maybe a ladder, just becaue it is a large building with greater threat to life....

Jon

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sounds complicated....

We send everyone who shows up unless we're canceled by an officer. For us, that would be 3 engines, 3 water tenders, 4 quick response vehicles, 3 ambulances, a command car and whatever else is left in the station if we still have people there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 5 2005, 03:16 AM
Sounds complicated....

We send everyone who shows up unless we're canceled by an officer. For us, that would be 3 engines, 3 water tenders, 4 quick response vehicles, 3 ambulances, a command car and whatever else is left in the station if we still have people there.
yeah...my squad will do that, too.... but that requires folks to show up :D - but everthing other than the first engine is at reduced rate - except for the chiefs :rolleyes: .

Jon.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Oct 5 2005, 02:16 AM
Sounds complicated....

Wow... Lot of equipment for an AFA... What do ya send for a real fire?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 5 2005, 03:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 5 2005, 03:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978@Oct 5 2005, 02:16 AM
Sounds complicated....

Wow... Lot of equipment for an AFA... What do ya send for a real fire? [/b][/quote]
Same thing.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Oct 5 2005, 11:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Oct 5 2005, 11:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 5 2005, 03:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978
@Oct 5 2005, 02:16 AM
Sounds complicated....

We send everyone who shows up unless we're canceled by an officer.  For us, that would be 3 engines, 3 water tenders, 4 quick response vehicles, 3 ambulances, a command car and whatever else is left in the station if we still have people there.

Wow... Lot of equipment for an AFA... What do ya send for a real fire?
Same thing. [/b][/quote]
Well, at least you're prepared!

Always plan ahead...

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Here when the fire alarm goes off the whole entire strip in front of the FD is nothing but L/S!! Every truck goes out, it gets crazy. Even if it is a small grass fire. It gets funny when I have the scanner with me and Im next door at the dollar general, the tones go out for a small grass fire two blocks from the FD and then I walk out and I see POVs with L/S, all 4 engines roll out with L/S and the rescue ambulance as well as the Yell Co Ambulance going by in a frenzy this usually goes on for about 6-7 minutes and then I wait a min or two then the dispatcher says "Fire is contained within 5 mins of response." And there are STILL people in their POVs responding, lol. :lol: too funny.

But then its not so funny when its a structure fire agood 10 minutes out from the FD. :blink:

ECC

Forum Captain
CFA gets 2 Suppression pieces (We have one Quint, it counts as an Engine and a Ladder-it goes only if it is in the first of second due)

RFA gets one Engine.

If upon dispatch they tell us the magic words 'Smoke showing' we upgrade it ourselves.

Commercial Structure Fire gets 3 and 2 and both Medics, along with the Battalion and the O/D Division.

RSF gets 3 and 1..remainder of the Box is the same.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Our local FD sends everything that they have drivers for .. often MUCH more than needed, but as someone stated earlier.. better safe than sorry!

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Originally posted by joemt@Oct 10 2005, 10:33 AM
Our local FD sends everything that they have drivers for .. often MUCH more than needed, but as someone stated earlier.. better safe than sorry!
Are you sure we aint talking about the same squad? :D

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
LOL... we could be... I live in a small town (under 10,000), so when the local FD went "rescue" (responding to medical emergencies) and drove their LADDER TRUCK to calls... there were a TON of complaints... it's just how they do things though... and once again, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. :blink:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We bring the rescue truck to all ambulance calls - even medicals... it's a great manpower transporter and you never know if grandpa's heart attack was caused by falling through two floors and landing in the basement. ;)