Fire Academy Advice

Neffster

Forum Ride Along
Hey all,
So I just passed my NREMT yesterday! Anyways, I am trying to go to a part time fire academy starting in April here in Florida. Does anyone have any advice on stuff I can study before the academy starts? I'm going to be working full time while at the academy, so anything I can get ahead of the curve would make my life easier. Thanks.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
Is this for a paid dept, or volunteer?

If it's volunteer dept. just go to your training nights and that will be a big help. Also get a senior member to help you go over various knots, hand-tools, ladders, and saws. Those are the biggest ones.

As for reading, don't really worry about it before the academy starts. They'll tell you specifically what they want you to read over.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
When I went through my mandatory fire training, we saw alot of powerpoints featuring common sense/keep your head out of your *** type stuff. Most eveything else was taught through practicals not through the book.

Honestly for me the hardest part I had to learn was ventilation and its purpose, and how to use it effectively. Just read the wikipedia pages on flashovers and backdrafts and it will help.

If you pm me I can teach you a couple basics that will help you understand most of what they will tell you in class

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
Basics like Fire Behavior are good to know going into an academy. As you probably are expecting, most fire academies are extremely physical.If you wanna get a leg up and work on something, Id do push ups, pull ups, and run.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If they PT you, get yourself in shape. Also do some distance running to condition yourself to resist strains and shin splints.