Finding work...

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone. Last month I finished my EMT-B course and am now state and nationally certified. I have around 10 applications in at various EMS services and hospitals as well as a few transport companies. Now, nearly 3 weeks later, I still have not had one call returned from any of these companies and I'm at a loss as to why. Any advice on seeking EMS employment in the NE Kentucky area?

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
You could try some follow-up phone calls. "Hi I mailed an app and was wondering if you had any questions or needed more info" kind of thing.

OP
OP
P

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
You could try some follow-up phone calls. "Hi I mailed an app and was wondering if you had any questions or needed more info" kind of thing.

I had called a couple of them but have been unable to get ahold of the people that do the hiring...they always seem to be at lunch. <_< I did leave voicemails, however.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
I had called a couple of them but have been unable to get ahold of the people that do the hiring...they always seem to be at lunch.

This is very common.

Go in person, either first thing in the morning or sometime after lunch. I usually make it a point to bypass HR/Recruiting, as there is only usually 2 or 3 individuals handling hundreds of applications. They are terribly overwhelmed and it is easy for you to get lost in the numbers. Go to the respective department you are interested in working for, and ask to speak to the director/manager/clinical coordinator. Introduce yourself, ask if they currently have any positions to be filled, state that you are extremely interested in joining the team, and mention that you have an application on file. If you make a good enough impression and there is a need, the manager can contact recruiting, have your file "pulled", and fast track you in for an interview.

Trust me, it works! Something that can work just as well (or better), is having someone you know on the inside pulling for you.

Good luck :)

OP
OP
P

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
ok, I'll do that today...but waiting an hour or so to make sure lunch hours are over. :p

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I became an EMT in 2002, it was easy to find work. Now, there's legions of EMT's graduating every couple of months (weeks)? Medic school might be your best option. Do you want to be a single role EMS provider or fire based?

OP
OP
P

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
When I became an EMT in 2002, it was easy to find work. Now, there's legions of EMT's graduating every couple of months (weeks)? Medic school might be your best option. Do you want to be a single role EMS provider or fire based?

The problem with going to medic school is that the course offered around here require a certain time period of field experience before being accepted into the program. As of now, I'm willing to take any kind of EMS work I can find, with the exception of a volunteer service...I have bills to pay.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
... I'm willing to take any kind of EMS work I can find, with the exception of a volunteer service...I have bills to pay.

Word! B)

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Like most people have said DO follow ups, go in person to talk to someone, call them every week or every other week atleast. Its better to go in person it puts a face to the name, but calling them every week is also a good thing because they will remember your name.

Also hand in a resume if you have one. I did to a place on onday with my application and got a call back the next day for an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The problem with going to medic school is that the course offered around here require a certain time period of field experience before being accepted into the program. As of now, I'm willing to take any kind of EMS work I can find, with the exception of a volunteer service...I have bills to pay.

The going rate for EMT work is quite low. You can make more working at Costco, Staples, TGIF, Applebee's etc. Check out local hospitals for ER tech positions. If and when you go to medic school, the hospital should be more willing to accomidate your school schedule.

OP
OP
P

Paladin78

Forum Crew Member
It paid off. I went to a local transport service (MTS) today and talked with the area supervisor. I was pretty much hired on the spot and will start on August 5th. The pay is better than most of the 911 EMS systems in this area and I'm guaranteed at least 40 hours a week @ 5 days a week. While I won;t be responding to a lot of emergency calls, I will be gaining experience by doing facility to facility transfers, transporting dialysis, chemo therapy, etc.. patients.
I'm stoked!

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Yay for you! It's a relief when you get heed and exciting at the same time.

nkara

Forum Ride Along
I guess it's all different rates of pay for each state. Here in RI EMT - B start out at $15 hr and EMT - Cardiac are $20 hr.

Persistence not nagging pays off. :blush:

alphatrauma

Forum Captain