Finally got in!

Putrid Existence

Forum Probie
After trying for the past year to get into an EMT program in my area at one of the local community colleges, I finally got in. Things that were keeping me from attending before were either finances, the computer registration systems being down, or just plain bad luck. I can't wait to learn and see what's out there. I do have a question though: How does EMS handle the deceased? Do we take them to the hospital, or does the coroner pick them? I'm sure it depends on the state and county, that being said I'm going to be attending school in Riverside County, in California (I've seen some members from this area).

Afflixion

Forum Captain
It depends, If theres obvious signs of death the coroner will take them if not you will run them like a code, this also varies from region to region dependent on local protocols.

skills82

Forum Crew Member
Good luck in school. I remember how hard it was for me to get in due to the computer registration. If you didn't register right at midnight on the day of registration you wouldn't get in. The classes filled up within 20 minutes. It took me 3 semesters before I finally got in.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I let the coroner take em.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Since you're in CA... getting into the program might just be the easiest part about starting a career in EMS. Most states at this point are oversaturated w/ new EMT-Bs w/ no experience.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
After trying for the past year to get into an EMT program in my area at one of the local community colleges, I finally got in. Things that were keeping me from attending before were either finances, the computer registration systems being down, or just plain bad luck. I can't wait to learn and see what's out there. I do have a question though: How does EMS handle the deceased? Do we take them to the hospital, or does the coroner pick them? I'm sure it depends on the state and county, that being said I'm going to be attending school in Riverside County, in California (I've seen some members from this area).

RCC? or as its called now, Moreno Valley College, I did my medic there. To answer your question, if a patient dies on scene not in a medical facility, we call PD or SO to come and take a report and wait for the coroner, in a SNF, they have protocols for calling the coroner,

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Since you're in CA... getting into the program might just be the easiest part about starting a career in EMS. Most states at this point are oversaturated w/ new EMT-Bs w/ no experience.

I totally agree with what JT is saying

In my opinion, my emt instructors led me on to thinking that hiring is automatic and easy. This could be nothing farther from the truth. Think about all the emt schools that are graduating 20 something people every month, and then think of the few spots open in a couple companies... oh and they frown upon inexperience, even when its not your fault.
Me personally, I'm looking for ER tech jobs, but even they are not any easier to find, and generally require even more skill in some instances. I'm just trying to stay fresh until next year when I can work at the college i'm attending and participate on their student run ems program (full transport).

so the moral of the story...don't get your heart broken after all this is over and you can't put your skills into practice right away

OP
OP
Putrid Existence

Putrid Existence

Forum Probie
I don't expect to find a job right out of the gate, but I don't mind. Getting in was the most difficult obstacle to get over, for now, and I'm just glad I get to be there and learn everything.