FINAL MOMENTS OF RESCUE HERO

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I realize this didn't happen in the United States, but this story really bothered me, and he was part of the brotherhood. It also isn't a recent event, but I just came across this article today. Also a good reminder for all of us to take great care in what we do, as this could have been any one of us. Establishing clear command and control at the outset is critical. God bless this man's family, and all the members of his firehouse.

FINAL MOMENTS OF RESCUE HERO

Final moments of rescue hero
Neal Keeling

A FIREMAN who drowned in a pond trying to save the life of a boy resembled "a fisherman's float" as he was dragged under the water by a snagged rope, a court heard.

Sub-officer Paul Metcalf had waded into the mill pond with a rope tied around his waist in a vain bid to save 15-year-old Reyaz Ali, who also drowned.

Susan Collins was walking her dog with a friend when they saw the rescue attempt.

She told Bolton Crown Court: "It was almost like chaos. People arrived from all directions - fire service, police, paramedics. Then, they dispersed around the lodge."

She said that she had heard a civilian at the scene say the lodge was "too dark, too deep and too dangerous" for anyone to go in.

Commenting on what she saw when Mr Metcalf got into trouble, she said: "He reminded me of a fisherman's float, the way he was being pulled under.

"Because there were three services there, there was a flurry of conversations and decision making. I don't recall anyone taking the lead."

READ THE REST HERE

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Maria,

Thanks for sharing, I had a similar reaction to the story. The one thing that worries me in EMS is a lack of scene leadership. I have some amazing supervisors who have demonstrated absolutely amazing leadership skills, but when EMS/Police/Fire work together, it just doesn't seem to come together as well as it should. I'm not sure what I can do about it, but this story sure highlights some of the problems I see in the field.