Field Training for New Job

CombatCasualtyCare21

Forum Probie
Any experienced medics have any advice for an EMT starting his first city EMS job? Going through field training next week and thought I would ask you all what you look for from new BLS rookies when your in this stage of the hiring process. Focus on BLS skills? Take initiative? Wait for direction? Just want to find the balance. Thanks everyone.

bfog99

Forum Ride Along
Initiative is always good as long as you don't get pushy with it. I don't mean to be negative about it, but it is going to sound that way, I don't expect much out of new basics. They are usually excited and tripping over things. I guess my biggest pointer would be to understand that calls don't happen like they do in the book or in class. If you see things you don't understand, ask questions. Congrats on the job and good luck!

RESQGUY

Forum Crew Member
Well, first off CONGRATS on getting the position. I'm not a medic, but I would suggest studying your protocols and like BFOG99 said, remember that working in the field is a way more dynamic environment. Keep your eyes open and learn as much as possible.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Congrats to you! My best advice to you, is to know what you know, and know what you don't know. Don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something, and ask for help. :)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Observe, I mean REALLY OBSERVE the way things are done THERE; not how you imagine they should be done. Ask questions later, after the call and after you've had time to consider what you're really asking. If you really want to know, ask. If you want to show off how much YOU know, keep your trap shut!