FF-P or no FF-P that is the question.

Jwan

Just a guy
Reaction score
First real post other than introducing myself and I just want to say thank you to everyone on here, the knowledge and experiences shared has been invaluable.

I'm at a crossroads on where to go with my career. As far as background goes I am a USAF veteran (non medical AFSC). Leaving the Air Force I felt like I needed to do something of importance that could equate to the work I was performing while enlisted. Coming from a family with a long history of nurses, I quickly got a job as a Patient Care Assistant at a hospital. I've been at it for 3 years now and I feel that if I wipe one more *** I will lose all sanity. The only thing that was keeping me focused on nursing was the thought of becoming a flight nurse, but after doing the research into how long it would take to become a flight nurse and the amount of time as a floor nurse, then an ICU/ER nurse I feel I would have nothing left in the tank to pursue my dream.

I have since re-evaulated myself and after some deep thinking decided to pursue becoming a paramedic. The fast paced nature, the increased likely-hood of critical calls (currently my unit MAYBE sees one code blue every 2 or so months), and the overall challenge being a paramedic would be is a very welcomed one.

That all being said, I consider myself a well-versed PCA. I have used the experince to learn (not practice) outside my scope, and gain a greater understanding of how things work. The unit is generally happier when a code is called and I am there because I "know my ****", from chest compressions to blood draws during the code (which our PCA's do here we double as phleb's for the floors) to running for supplies, nurses have said they can "breathe easier" knowing I'm the one running because chances are I know what the heck they are talking about and where to get it (a small but invaluable skill).

Now that I'm done tooting my own horn, I am torn on what to do, my "dream" would be something along the lines of flight medic or working for a busy system. The closest big city would be Detroit however with the negative PR Detroit EMS had the last few years I'm not sure that would be the city for me. Also working as a Medic for a FD would be great however it seems most FD's around here only have FF-P's, while becoming a firefighter isn't out of the equation my heart lies within the medic role.

If running 911 is where my heart is (MVC's and the like) should FF-P be where I am headed? the local community college that offers a paramedic program has a FF-P program as well which equates to one more semester pertaining to only firefighter. Is working for a city like Chicago a better alterative or a glorified pipe dream and I should have more realistic expectations. The same goes for flight medic.

Im torn, while I know not every day will be filled with critical calls, I'd love to position myself to be in a place where I can be exposed to that more. Any helpful insight or stories of those who have been at a similar crossroads would be much appreciated, and thanks again!

If your heart is in 911 then do that. But just know it's not nearly as fast paced as you may think. To be a flight medic youll need (usually) 3 years 911 experience as a medic in a busy system and most fire depts want experienced medics so its a win win no matter what you decide. Both are competitive jobs to get into so youll have your work cut out for you.
See about volunteering with fire to see if its something youll actually like. Do ride a longs...something to help guide you to make this decision for yourself.

You will have plenty of time to get it figured out, full-time paid fire jobs do not grow on trees and simply having an academy cert is no guarantee that you will receive an offer.

The academy will be a good way for you to see if you like and are apt to the work. Some people realize that they are claustrophobic or afraid of heights and the door is closed on the issue.

Volunteering is a good idea if the VFD near you is a good one. It is easier for paid departments to train somebody with no actual experience than it is to retrain someone with poor skills, bad habits and a know-it-all attitude.

If the semester is full-time school hours, I would suggest getting the fire academy out of the way first. Once you get the fire cert, there is no maintenance (CEs) required for it to be valid (unlike EMT/Paramedic). You also don't really want to go through all the work of getting your paramedic and then not doing anything with it for 4 months.

If there is a part-time academy you can attend while you are working as a medic, that would be a good option too.

Last edited:
Furthermore, if your heart is not in fire, it will be difficult to convince an oral board that you are the best candidate for the job when compared to the 2000 other candidates who eat, sleep and bleed FD.

I appreciate the insight, had another code tonight, 74yr old PEA found down. Released the bed quickly did a pulse check (nada), I started compressions, called for the board and realized everyone (3 RNs and a PCA) was just standing around in a kind of shock (as previously mentioned we don't get very many codes). I yelled for someone to start bagging and for the fast pads. Kept up on compressions until code team arrived and after one round of epi we had him back, by the time he was transferred to the ICU he was regaining consciousness and started to fight the tube. Great feeling. Really reassured me that I'm cool under pressure and actually prefer to work in these type of situations. I'm not looking for trauma or a code everywhere I go but it's nice knowing if and when these situations arise I don't think I can just act.

That all being said I very much look forward to the challenge of being a paramedic. My concern with the fire part is mainly because I want to run 911 in a busy system and I guess in the looking around I've done most cities and counties are only hiring ff-p, does this mean the firefighters are also loading up on ambulances for 911 calls and just acting as paramedics in that capacity? (Like Firefighter John and Bill are on ambulance duty today).

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question just trying to get a feel for what I should be shooting for.

It depends where you want to work whether or not each system has fire running the 911 calls and how ambulance time vs engine time is divided.
Like shirtz said though, you have to want to live fire to actually get the job.
Look into moving places that have 3rd service or municipal ran ems. I think in the long run its more what you want (you haven't really said if you want to be a firefighter or not so I'm just assuming the answer is no, or not that badly.) Correct me if I'm wrong

Go get a job as a firefighter, and then get your paramedic cert. many departments will pay for you to go to paramedic school.

If you have extra time or inclination to make more money, start taking the prerequisites for nursing school, and complete a paramedic to nursing bridge program on the side.

Hi saw this thread been doing research in my neck of the woods in New England seems a lot of department's look for individuals who are dual certified as FF/Medic. Most of the job postings especially in Maas were Ff/Medic. Was thinking of volunteering at a fire company get my fire 1 and 2 then work on my paramedic license.

Would it be a waste?

Hi saw this thread been doing research in my neck of the woods in New England seems a lot of department's look for individuals who are dual certified as FF/Medic. Most of the job postings especially in Maas were Ff/Medic. Was thinking of volunteering at a fire company get my fire 1 and 2 then work on my paramedic license.

Would it be a waste?

The other option is I can for $10K receive another degree in Fire Technology at the local CC. I am already a AEMT. The other bit more expensive option is a private college offer's a Master's degree in Fire Science for about $30K. I been doing EMS for three year's and in the hospital as a tech for five.

I apoligize if wrong way to post as well don't want to clutter the forum with similar questions.

Last edited:
It may not be as good as you think being a paramedic. Maybe you should go the nursing route. It will pay better and you will have much more pt contact per time on shift.

^^^^Pay is better but not sure I enjoy what I have observed with nursing over the year's. Very clique and class ranking within the nursing world.

It may not be as good as you think being a paramedic. Maybe you should go the nursing route. It will pay better and you will have much more pt contact per time on shift.

Why would you want to spend more time with 99% of the patients we bring to the nurses? No thanks.

This is kind of the same problem I'm looking at in Tucson. I'd love to be in one of the TFD medic units, but straight from the horse's mouth "TFD does not hire into any uniform position except for Firefighter." Currently, Rural/Metro/SW don't have any EMT openings here in Tucson although this could all be different by the time I finish in December. I'm just trying to decide whether I should finish EMT-b, then get the fire cert out of the way (only one semester) and then begin medic, or skip Fire and go straight medic.

I would do an associates degree in nursing, get whatever crap job you can get after 2 years of school. Do an RN to paramedic bridge (which is 2 years + 4 months, rather than paramedic to RN which is 1 year + just shy of 2 years). Then use your RN + Paramedic to get a job at a rural hospital with a long drive in an ER. Get them to pay for an online RN to BSN transition. Graduate with a BSN + Paramedic Cert and two years of prior experience in an ER. Move to a metropolitan ER. (It's now been about 4 and a half to 5 years) Work a year in that large ER and apply for a flight nursing job.

Back