Fentanyl in Pennsylvania's heroin

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Public Radio this AM carried a story about the big rise in OD deaths being caused by heroin being sold with fentanyl in it.

http://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story?storyid=269750147

Wait, telling junkies how to recognize an OD and getting NARCAN out there for laypersons to use?

THoughts? Experiences?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Public Radio this AM carried a story about the big rise in OD deaths being caused by heroin being sold with fentanyl in it.

http://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story?storyid=269750147

Wait, telling junkies how to recognize an OD and getting NARCAN out there for laypersons to use?

THoughts? Experiences?

Narcan should be something junkies can get a script for from clinics, if not straight up OTC. I also think every BLS ambulance should carry it.

I am not a fan, however, of the government giving out narcan and/or clean needles. Or anything else, really.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
While it's not mentioned in the article, this is most likely acetyl fentanyl and not fentanyl citrate, which we have on the trucks. Acetyl fentanyl is a Schedule I controlled substance and has been labelled as having no medical properties and is 15 LESS potent than fentanyl citrate.
Rhode Island has had 22 confirmed fatal ODs in the first 15 days of the year on heroin cut with acetyl fentanyl.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I guess I found this sad and kinda ironic..

1) Teaching a junkie on what the s/s of an OD are?.. Really? They don't know?

2) Now Fentanyl may be an additive? Anyone care to predict the rise in sales?

3) Discuss the treatment of using Narcan (usually non prescribed medication)?
Really, I have not met very many users that did not already know about Narcan.. sometimes they know as much about Narcan as the one giving it.

Yes, I agree inform the "users" they may now be getting more than they will bargain for... but I do doubt, that they already knew this information before the media.

Lot of ethical dilemmas?

cprted

Forum Captain
We had a rash of Fentanyl laced heroine ODs here last summer. July long weekend they were dropping like flies. There were a few calls where the crew has to use 4mg IV to get them to come around.

The street nurses run a street narcan program up here. So far I've only been to one call where a narcan kits was used, but it was a good application (intentional OD suicide attempt, friends found him apenic in a bathtub after he texted everyone to say goodbye). Some medics were little upset over the street narcan which I really couldn't understand ... are we concerned they don't know how to use a hypodermic?

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
On this past Friday the Allegheny County Public Health Director was stating that it is Fentanyl Citrate - 1000 x more potent than heroin...and the junkies are looking for it to try it...:wacko:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
On this past Friday the Allegheny County Public Health Director was stating that it is Fentanyl Citrate - 1000 x more potent than heroin...and the junkies are looking for it to try it...:wacko:
Why does that surprise you?

The biggest advertisement for heroin is to have someone OD on it...because...you know...it's very potent.

You should really learn something about the mentality of the people you'll be dealing with.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Narcan should be something junkies can get a script for from clinics, if not straight up OTC. I also think every BLS ambulance should carry it.

As of this fall, all 911 ambulances in Maryland are required to carry IN Narcan as a BLS drug.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
IN narcan is cute and useful in traditional ODs, however the strength of this heroin cut with fentanyl is killing people with preexisting drug problems. These are people with tolerances and habits. ERs have been giving as much as 6mgs of narcan to regain the respiratory drive. Not consciousness.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

The biggest advertisement for heroin is to have someone OD on it...because...you know...it's very potent.

You should really learn something about the mentality of the people you'll be dealing with.

"You" meaning all of us, I assume. Right on.
I know. Flood the market with heroin laced with narcan.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
"You" meaning all of us, I assume. Right on.
I know. Flood the market with heroin laced with narcan.
No, "you" meaning the person I quoted. What the :censored::censored::censored::censored: is your problem these days?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

No, "you" meaning the person I quoted. What the :censored::censored::censored::censored: is your problem these days?

I'll pm you.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member

Well we can all always learn more about the people we are dealing with, with only 8 years as a street cop (FF/EMT now) I know I could always learn more, however; that does not mean that I understand it in the slightest.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
A patch of that was spread around a city outside of Cleveland a couple months ago 20+ overdoses in a 24 hour period.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
PA DOH gave us a memo posted about the fentanyl laced heroin the other day, Along with some other info about the flu.

I'm waiting for one to come through I work in a huge heroin ridden community and usually have at least one overdose a week.

I was watching some special on heroin use as most people get started on it because they were pill poppers that couldn't get pills. And that safe havens or needle clinics or whatever they are were issuing narcan to users in the event of overdose. This of course is to be used IN by a family member. OTOH if you administer 2MG IN Narcan and your family member is not adequately breathing how is this dose IN going to get into them?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This of course is to be used IN by a family member. OTOH if you administer 2MG IN Narcan and your family member is not adequately breathing how is this dose IN going to get into them?

Mucosal absorption I'd imagine. No different than when we give it.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Well we can all always learn more about the people we are dealing with, with only 8 years as a street cop (FF/EMT now) I know I could always learn more, however; that does not mean that I understand it in the slightest.
Really? All that time as a cop and you never figured something like this out? Huh...

Allow me to elaborate: when there are a large number of OD's due to a particular brand of heroin it's probably because of the potency. So to a junkie, that either means that they'll get a better high, or have to use less. Win win situation for them...

Communication and being able to talk with different types of patient's is huge in EMS, and in police work. Probably even more so for a cop. Understanding where people are coming from only helps with that.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Yes that is the point....thanks for making it again, did not catch it the first time.......:huh: