felony,education,

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
Hey Guy n Gals..

When you have a criminal history...It is easy to believe that the only thing to do is to continue to have a criminal history. Thought like..."i am a felon, who hire me" or thoughts similar may or may not arise.
High school was a party..after that..party continue. No dream, No direction. Just a peaceful vegetarian kid who liked punk music..
YEAR 2000 was arrested(less than a gram, controlled substance) . This is a felony, 6 month - 2 year state jail.I was put on, and then, violated probation,(not eligible for expungement) and did 6 month. Drifted around the country. writing journals,and exploring,for a few years.
YEAR 2004 was arrested(Less then a gram, controlled substance), This is a felony, 6 month - 2 years state jail. I violated probation, and went back to the clink for 7 months. At this point in my life i was so hungry and cold. The guy, O.D, having seizures, postictal,Excited delirium, lacerations,pulling of the restraints...that was me. I remember saying sorry 1000 times, (when i came to) to the paramedics that had to come get me ,after i had a drug induced seizure and was screaming bloody murder some place. War all the time. " No job, no home, no peace no rest"(bruce) I remember stopping on the corner and asking god to stop this suffering. Two weeks later, Police pick me up(2004). BUT that wanting to stop suffering didnt take place till I pay my consequence and did my 7 month time This brings us to 2006. Not for me. I do the work to change...its still working..
I have always liked EMS/Fire/emergency medicine. But,I tried to study music in college..but I did not believe in the education. 2006 and 2007 I began to work construction and landscaping. I also began to take the NON EMS class for the paramedic degree. 2008 i talk to the EMT program. I tell chief about the felony. He said I may or may not have a problem(lol with EMT SUCCESS) and that he he does not decide who can or can not ride out in clinical. They submit background to FD and Hospital weeks into basic, and before clinical.
At this point, its my dream, I will be an emt. Whats life with a dream? An existence , with the possibility of regret before death. AND, Whats life in pursuit of a dream? Tragedy, Triumph. Satisfaction, maybe. Honer, maybe. But my personal moment,in life,before death,a smile with out regret. Id rather love, then no love at all.
EMT Basic. I go for it. I read so far ahead. I have actual dreams about it, Eat,sleep and breath it. Im so happy and proud to actually, maybe, have a shot at something. I still have that binder, of the hand written notes i made from the full curriculum. I passed my mid term. Half the kids dropped out, by then. About then, the clinical coordinator called me to his office. He Told me that I could not complete the clinical(1 college credit). I Guess FD and hospital said no. I gave up for a day or two...I tried to call "other" ems programs to see if i could ride out there. I pass the class room portion(5 college credit) of EMT-Basic.
I spoke many times with a program director, in another city. Director told me that if national will let me test...director will let me come to class(Basic) and if i earn it, ride out. I apply to national..submit my history.Show my college transcript thus far, and some references. I also write a letter, to plead my case. About two month later, i get a letter telling me that I can test for national if i meet the educational requirements.
EMT Basic, and pass registry(and get state cert). My last day of basic was my first day of intermediate.
Now, here i am. State licensed EMT-Intermediate.
Working and plan to volunteer.

“Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary.” civil d HDT

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Congratulations, Rudy. It's my firm belief that most people can change if they make the right decisions and have the self-discipline to stick by them.

Good job turning your life around. Have you ever considered outreach to at-risk teens?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Good for you, seriously. That's a big change in lifestyle to make. Best of luck to you.

newemttx

Forum Probie
WOW. That is awesome, way to change your life around. Good luck to you in your EMS career and the rest of your life.

dannyd

Forum Probie
thats awsome good for you! It would have been so easy to quit for a lot of people when they wouldnt let you finish but you didnt! you inspired me to keep pushing for an emt job here in MA thank you sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You can look up my background. I don't think we change ourselves so much as we consciously change our behaviors and preparation for life, and suddenly we find we are a different "me". Like AA says, one day (one act) at a time. Good luck, congrats on getting as far as you have (one thing the joint teaches you is that persistence pays!! ;) ).

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Guy n Gals..

When you have a criminal history...It is easy to believe that the only thing to do is to continue to have a criminal history. Thought like..."i am a felon, who hire me" or thoughts similar may or may not arise.
High school was a party..after that..party continue. No dream, No direction. Just a peaceful vegetarian kid who liked punk music..
YEAR 2000 was arrested(less than a gram, controlled substance) . This is a felony, 6 month - 2 year state jail.I was put on, and then, violated probation,(not eligible for expungement) and did 6 month. Drifted around the country. writing journals,and exploring,for a few years.
YEAR 2004 was arrested(Less then a gram, controlled substance), This is a felony, 6 month - 2 years state jail. I violated probation, and went back to the clink for 7 months. At this point in my life i was so hungry and cold. The guy, O.D, having seizures, postictal,Excited delirium, lacerations,pulling of the restraints...that was me. I remember saying sorry 1000 times, (when i came to) to the paramedics that had to come get me ,after i had a drug induced seizure and was screaming bloody murder some place. War all the time. " No job, no home, no peace no rest"(bruce) I remember stopping on the corner and asking god to stop this suffering. Two weeks later, Police pick me up(2004). BUT that wanting to stop suffering didnt take place till I pay my consequence and did my 7 month time This brings us to 2006. Not for me. I do the work to change...its still working..
I have always liked EMS/Fire/emergency medicine. But,I tried to study music in college..but I did not believe in the education. 2006 and 2007 I began to work construction and landscaping. I also began to take the NON EMS class for the paramedic degree. 2008 i talk to the EMT program. I tell chief about the felony. He said I may or may not have a problem(lol with EMT SUCCESS) and that he he does not decide who can or can not ride out in clinical. They submit background to FD and Hospital weeks into basic, and before clinical.
At this point, its my dream, I will be an emt. Whats life with a dream? An existence , with the possibility of regret before death. AND, Whats life in pursuit of a dream? Tragedy, Triumph. Satisfaction, maybe. Honer, maybe. But my personal moment,in life,before death,a smile with out regret. Id rather love, then no love at all.
EMT Basic. I go for it. I read so far ahead. I have actual dreams about it, Eat,sleep and breath it. Im so happy and proud to actually, maybe, have a shot at something. I still have that binder, of the hand written notes i made from the full curriculum. I passed my mid term. Half the kids dropped out, by then. About then, the clinical coordinator called me to his office. He Told me that I could not complete the clinical(1 college credit). I Guess FD and hospital said no. I gave up for a day or two...I tried to call "other" ems programs to see if i could ride out there. I pass the class room portion(5 college credit) of EMT-Basic.
I spoke many times with a program director, in another city. Director told me that if national will let me test...director will let me come to class(Basic) and if i earn it, ride out. I apply to national..submit my history.Show my college transcript thus far, and some references. I also write a letter, to plead my case. About two month later, i get a letter telling me that I can test for national if i meet the educational requirements.
EMT Basic, and pass registry(and get state cert). My last day of basic was my first day of intermediate.
Now, here i am. State licensed EMT-Intermediate.
Working and plan to volunteer.

“Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary.” civil d HDT

Damn Rudy I'm really proud of you and I'm inspired... I've been a Paramedic for 12 years and haven't really tried applying because it seems so competitive. My credit is in ruins and I feel they would not even consider me...but after hearing your story that's a true inspiration.. Man thanks

OP
OP
R

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
Sorry I meant applying for FD jobs

Does credit actually have to do with being able to get a fire cert? On the other hand..the big city fire departments check everything...dont let "them" discourage you or lead you to a conclusion before you get a concrete answer via effort.

I was looking at fire in california, and it seems like the wild land fire service would be more willing to provide a "2nd chance". I hear they have wild land firefighters that are inmates.

In texas, i found two volly fire departments, willing to train me. Currenty half way through it. once i get my volly ff cert..i can look into a commision cert.

OP
OP
R

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
Congratulations, Rudy. It's my firm belief that most people can change if they make the right decisions and have the self-discipline to stick by them.

Good job turning your life around. Have you ever considered outreach to at-risk teens?

Thanks!
Outreach, is a great idea! i would not know where to start...maybe ask a juvy probation officer.