Fellow Floridians!

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I live in the Orlando area and I've been unsuccessful finding work as an EMT-B (granted I've only been looking for a month). I'm really not sure where else to look. I've applied at Rural, American, Lake County, Florida Hospital, Celebration, and Arnie Palmer.

It's kind of a waste land out here if you aren't a fire fighter.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I live in the Orlando area and I've been unsuccessful finding work as an EMT-B (granted I've only been looking for a month). I'm really not sure where else to look. I've applied at Rural, American, Lake County, Florida Hospital, Celebration, and Arnie Palmer.

It's kind of a waste land out here if you aren't a fire fighter.

You're gonna have to expand your search outside its Orlando, I moved from south Florida to the west coast of Florida for a medic job. Basic jobs are probably even harder to find outside of ift. Get your medics license, it'll make a difference.

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
You're gonna have to expand your search outside its Orlando, I moved from south Florida to the west coast of Florida for a medic job. Basic jobs are probably even harder to find outside of ift. Get your medics license, it'll make a difference.

I start my paramedic classes in January, but I'm going for my degree so it's gonna take 3 semester (and I don't think they do summer classes, which really sucks!).

meloabreuu

Forum Probie
I live in Florida too. I've been here almost a year, and if things go the way I hope they do, I'll be starting EMT-B next month at the Osceola Valencia campus, and then either going on to the paramedic program or the A.S. in EMS. I'm hoping to get an EMT job somewhere else where winter is actually winter(No offense to any of you guys who like FL,) but I'm probably going to have to work in Florida for at least a little while after I graduate.

Anyway, just thought I would get my first post out of the way. If anyone has anything to say about Valencia's program and/or if it's worth getting the A.S. or if the paramedic certificate is enough, feel free to speak up, please!

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I live in Florida too. I've been here almost a year, and if things go the way I hope they do, I'll be starting EMT-B next month at the Osceola Valencia campus, and then either going on to the paramedic program or the A.S. in EMS. I'm hoping to get an EMT job somewhere else where winter is actually winter(No offense to any of you guys who like FL,) but I'm probably going to have to work in Florida for at least a little while after I graduate.

Anyway, just thought I would get my first post out of the way. If anyone has anything to say about Valencia's program and/or if it's worth getting the A.S. or if the paramedic certificate is enough, feel free to speak up, please!

Get your nremt before your state. Trust me of you wanna leave Florida that's the best thing to do. The state is cake compared to the national.

meloabreuu

Forum Probie
Get your nremt before your state. Trust me of you wanna leave Florida that's the best thing to do. The state is cake compared to the national.

Thanks for the suggestion. So I'm right by assuming that all I would have to do to be eligible in a different state is to take their state exam, provided I have the NREMT?(unless the particular department or company I'm applying for has any other requirements)

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the suggestion. So I'm right by assuming that all I would have to do to be eligible in a different state is to take their state exam, provided I have the NREMT?(unless the particular department or company I'm applying for has any other requirements)

It depends on the state. Many (Arkansas, Texas, South Carolina, and Georgia that I know of) will allow reciprocity with the NREMT and a background check only.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
It depends on the state. Many (Arkansas, Texas, South Carolina, and Georgia that I know of) will allow reciprocity with the NREMT and a background check only.

This

The national won't give you an automatic "in" to every state, but it will help a lot more than your state license.

meloabreuu

Forum Probie
Thanks again to both of you. Another thing I'm wondering now... Someone on another thread told me that I would have a hard time finding work in this state if I don't have any firefighting experience. Any truth to that?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks again to both of you. Another thing I'm wondering now... Someone on another thread told me that I would have a hard time finding work in this state if I don't have any firefighting experience. Any truth to that?

There's some true to this, you'll have a hard time finding 911 departments/companies that don't require firefighting. The ones that don't are few and far in between and are usually competitive. You can however find plenty of work for private companies, not the most glamorous work but better than nothing while you find something out of state. Even the privates however do have quiet a bit of competition.

meloabreuu

Forum Probie
There's some true to this, you'll have a hard time finding 911 departments/companies that don't require firefighting. The ones that don't are few and far in between and are usually competitive. You can however find plenty of work for private companies, not the most glamorous work but better than nothing while you find something out of state. Even the privates however do have quiet a bit of competition.

So if I really buckle down and get good grades(which I'm planning on doing,)
will that help me be a more competitive candidate? Will providing a copy of my transcript along with my resume help at all or are employers only concerned with whether or not I passed my classes and certifications or not?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
So if I really buckle down and get good grades(which I'm planning on doing,)
will that help me be a more competitive candidate? Will providing a copy of my transcript along with my resume help at all or are employers only concerned with whether or not I passed my classes and certifications or not?

Grades wont make much of a difference but it will help you pass the tests if you buckle down, and it'll make it easier on you once you get in the field. This applies most places in the country, most employers just wanna see the cert/license.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Great to see this thread still going. As for me, it's been six months on the road. How have you guys been?

Mutumbo

Forum Ride Along
Pensacola here. Been here for a little over 3 years. As far as 911 jobs without fire standards, Escambia county(Pensacola) is still separate with fire and EMS, and they arent planning on changing that anytime in the near future(politics mostly). We are a fairly high call volume service, with an average of 8-10 calls in a 12 hr shift. Its a place to get a ton of experience quickly...

Speedman

Forum Probie
Sup guys I'm in miami, and I want to start doing my emt/paramedic/firefighter. What school did you guys goto down here? How long did it take and all? Amy info would do! Thanks

BasicBek

Forum Probie
Help

I keep seeing so many different Paramedic schools in south Florida. Any of you have a small review you could share? I'm not from there and have no clue.

I've seen Broward, Palm Beach, city college, and Barry (maybe others).I am curious about this urgent response technical institute. Anyone know anything?

Any and all input appreciated. Thank you.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I keep seeing so many different Paramedic schools in south Florida. Any of you have a small review you could share? I'm not from there and have no clue.

I've seen Broward, Palm Beach, city college, and Barry (maybe others).I am curious about this urgent response technical institute. Anyone know anything?

Any and all input appreciated. Thank you.

Just go to your community college, Dade or broward, cheaper, good instructors

BasicBek

Forum Probie
Just go to your community college, Dade or broward, cheaper, good instructors

Thanks. A lot of the reason for the extensive research, (besides the obvious), is the issue of in state tuition. I'd hate to put off school another year when there are these other schools that have the same tuition all around for anyone

Anyway, I do not want to sacrifice a good education but in a perfect world I'd like school soon without residency being an issue. .

jtwiss

Forum Ride Along
Any intel on basic jobs in Jax? Planning a move down there from MA to pursue LE but looking for something EMS related to help get by. Getting my card by July and heading down if all goes well. :)