Feisty pets obstructing entrance

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
89470273_2788377324584892_3293000981175861248_n.jpg

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
In a decade I’ve never had to even come close to threaten a dog, or been threatened by one. Not being mean or aggressive helps.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually sent my partner in first, then it was clear for me...

OP
OP
K

Kirko7

Forum Ride Along
LOL, came here to see what change and it really got out of hand.
Mother in law does not necessarily "have to" live with us, she can possibly go into a nice assisted living community few miles away.
Sorry but those who have never owned a dog will never understand. You can't just automatically give your dogs to a shelter to let someone live in your house, even if it's a close relative. It makes sense to explore other ideas. Heck, I'd rather finish my entire walkout basement and make it an apartment if I have to, than giving away our dogs.

Anyway, all is good and she's moving in. We found a containment solution.

Rick813P

Forum Probie
After a few incidents like that I started carrying a small zip lock bag with some soft treats that not only the dogs would like, but something that I might be able to nibble on in case of emergency. Little nutter butter pieces, or worse come to worse part of a sandwich or quarter pounder, or if it is Friday during lent, your fish sandwich that you did not get to finish. If you are a vegan just hope they are Doxies, most will eat veggies.
I would also might suggest a small canned air horn, if you are like me. I carried a junk bag with stuff I might be able to use, normally from the dollar store. Just go there and use your imagination when you walk down the isles. Back to the air horn, most dogs will scurry away from the noise. If you use the treat method, look for a room you can throw them toward the back of and closed the door. If the fire Dept is on the scene, CO2 extinguishers work great, especially with big dogs. Learned that when I was a SWAT medic and one of our Operators went A little over the top when he, “neutralized” a Pitbull when it came around the corner, while we where serving a warrant. So we chose a little less of an deadly method. If your patient‘s home has a window or an outside window or door you can bang on to distract them try that.
These are just a few things I have used over the years. I have also experimented on my dogs also. So there you go.