Feisty pets obstructing entrance

Kirko7

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
I've searched over the Internet and can't find anything even closely related.
We are considering relocating my mother in law into our house. She's in her mid 80s and has one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" buttons and obviously a phone too. So when we aren't home she can call for help if she ever needs it.
But my concern is that we have 3 dogs that don't like when strangers even show up at the door. They get very angry to say the least. I'm wondering what process you guys follow in this case. I'm in Massachusetts if that makes any difference.
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section.
Thanks!

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Same thing as when feisty people obstruct a responder...Cops, animal control and a delay in aid. Consider securing your dogs in some reliable way when you leave or take 'em with you.

OP
OP
K

Kirko7

Forum Ride Along
Same thing as when feisty people obstruct a responder...Cops, animal control and a delay in aid. Consider securing your dogs in some reliable way when you leave or take 'em with you.
Thanks. What could police do? Is it possible they'll cause harm? I don't know what the procedure is for people. Thanks

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Thanks. What could police do? Is it possible they'll cause harm? I don't know what the procedure is for people. Thanks

Most likely they'll call animal control and let them handle it which potentially means at best a citation and boarding costs to you and at worst a vet bill. While I doubt the police where you are would go through a door behind which they knew there were menacing dogs, at least where I am, if an officer was confronted with an aggressive dog with nothing in between, the odds are pretty high he/she would use lethal force against it.

If you have enough of a concern to wonder if your dogs behavior will provoke a harmful response from the police, I'd consider that a pretty reliable indicator that there is a real issue there.

OP
OP
K

Kirko7

Forum Ride Along
Most likely they'll call animal control and let them handle it which potentially means at best a citation and boarding costs to you and at worst a vet bill. While I doubt the police where you are would go through a door behind which they knew there were menacing dogs, at least where I am, if an officer was confronted with an aggressive dog with nothing in between, the odds are pretty high he/she would use lethal force against it.

If you have enough of a concern to wonder if your dogs behavior will provoke a harmful response from the police, I'd consider that a pretty reliable indicator that there is a real issue there.

Thanks. The dogs are Jack Russells and they can bite but not life threatening. In any case, I totally understand what you mean and I'm taking your advice. Thanks!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Couldn't you get in the habit of leaving the dogs in a spare room with the door closed when you're not there to control them?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
It's a possibility. We are still deciding what's best for everyone.
Thanks
What's best for everyone is securing your animals when 1st responders are coming. If you're not home, they're not going in, so I would ask if the delay in care for your human family matters more than your dogs. Not trying to be an *** but there really is not another decision to be made.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The dogs are more important. It’s just his MiL.
Yeah man. Let those little Jack Russells do their job and yap! Your mother in law’s hip will be fine dude. 9/10 it’s an accidental push anyways.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Some of y'all didn't grow up on farms and it's showing. Seriously, you would all let three dogs the size of my cat stand between you and a patient?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Some of y'all didn't grow up on farms and it's showing. Seriously, you would all let three dogs the size of my cat stand between you and a patient?
So not the point. I've had very large dogs my whole life and I'm not scared of them. That being said, your dog isnt going to bite me because you dont want to put it away. My safety and that of my crew comes before your pet. Also, I'm way more cautious of small aggressive dogs than big ones. More Chihuahuas bite people than pit bulls

Seirende

If it's a true emergency it may come down to my steel toe boot vs. a small animal and my boot is going to win every time.

Seirende

Like they're 12 pounds. If they want to come between me and someone who isn't breathing, I'll just whack em with a backboard or something.

Seirende

My safety and that of my crew comes before your pet.

That's my point. In an emergency, I'm willing to boot a dog across a room. If the owner doesn't want that to happen, just secure them.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I'm not going to risk getting bit by any size animal that the owner trained poorly in order to render aid to said animal's owner.

A dog can be trained to be protective and still listen to commands.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
And when you boot and kill or hurt that dog and the owner sues you and your service, who's policy youve most likely violated by entering an unsafe scene? If you have aggressive dogs, you better have a plan in place for emergencies, otherwise chances are your care is getting delayed.

Seirende

And when you boot and kill or hurt that dog and the owner sues you and your service, who's policy youve most likely violated by entering an unsafe scene?

Like I said, they're 12 pounds. You don't have to hurt them to get them away from you and behind a closed door.

A good way to get beaten. Badly. Or worse...

By whom?