Feeling out of place at the fire station...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
There's things you have control of, and there's things you don't.

You can't control the actions or words of others.

However, you can control how YOU let them in.

Right now, being off-balance, you're likely interpreting most everything (simple gestures and the like from the others) as Negative. That's completely part of the process.

You're raw now, but the one thing you can stop is wondering if they're right. They're not.

There's nothing wrong with you, you're going through the natural adjustment period. Bossy's right about a "there's no one really here until they stay" attitude. And yes, it is true, the fact you're a woman is still a prejudice-generator. But don't bother trying to please them.

Keep your focus on yourself and what you're doing, not on them. Focus on yourself doesn't mean "How can I be more like a person they can accept."

Keep focusing on the utilization of your strengths within the context of the moment-to-moment things you have to deal with. Focus on what will make you better at the job you're being asked to do, not the personalities you have to deal with.

The name of the game is by doing that, you take THEIR focus off of what you can't do or do right, and put it on who you are and what you ARE doing.

From that point on, remember TIME WOUNDS ALL HEELS.

The ones who take the time to notice will be the ones carrying the others with them. Let the idiots continue to be idiots, by no means adapt to them. Resistance (either to yourself, as in trying to be good for them or actually confronting them) just feeds them.

Don't feed them, feed yourself.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I don't think ladyemt is interested in this thread anymore. She hasn't posted a response in over three weeks. :sad:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
She is still logging on to the forum (as can be seen on her profile)

LadyEMT.. Has anything changed?

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
She is still logging on to the forum (as can be seen on her profile)

LadyEMT.. Has anything changed?

Yeah I saw that too. Little surprised she hasn't bounced back here. Kinda curious as to her outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
Am I the only one that, at first, felt out of place?

I've been putting in volunteer hours at my station for about 3 months. Ever since I walked in the door, day one, I've felt out of place. During my ride-alongs, there was nothing but sideways looks and silence. At first, I examined MYSELF, thinking maybe I was being anti-social or not really saying much. But, nope. Not me.

Even while trying to make conversation, I was asked "What ARE you doing here?". Not in a mean way, but kinda playful. Still bothered me.

I get the feeling that if you haven't previously been affiliated with the fire service, then you're kinda suspect. :p I'm a stay at home mom, wanted to be an EMT, took the class, passed the tests, now I'm an EMT. :lol: That's it, that's all. Also, someone clued me in that even the slightest hint of natural eye shadow and lipgloss is really... prissy/girly? I dunno. I feel like an alien when I go to volunteer, but I'm not leaving my **lip gloss behind!!!

I have two other friends that went through class with me and they feel the same way. We can't be the only ones ever. What I'm looking for is for someone to tell me that it's not like this everywhere. :glare:

**lip gloss is never applied during a run :)

If you ever come back to read this...I can identify with being an "outsider volunteer" as well, but I am male. There really is pomp and circumstance to winning the acceptance of a crowd of male firefighters especially if you don't fit into the typical age/sex/personality category.

As others have stated, your success will depend on becoming an asset to your station/program. If you're dedicated and really bring skill (or a teachable spirit, insatiable willingness to learn), then you will have at least one likeable trait no matter what age/sex/personality you are. If you sulk away and reflect their stand-offishness, they win....They've seen countless volunteers come and go, and you're just the latest one to leave. If you like EMT work, dig in!

Regarding the lip gloss...made me lol...if they keep harping, show up with a new stick for each of them and explain you knew they were just jealous, so you bought them some too. It might get you a laugh, or maybe even a nickname out of the deal.

AugustLastWeek

Forum Ride Along
Well, I was a 19 year old kid when i decided to volunteer on a Fire Department, when I got into there I remember that I only spoke when I was spoken to, I only did what I was told to and allways respected everyone and showed a lot of interest in learning, the first months were hard for that, I wanted to joke arround with the crowd but I knew that I should stay aside a little more and see how far I could trust them and show how much they could trust me. Now, almost two years after, I'm a part of the familly, pretty much a punk inside that is respected enough to say what I have to say and even if they dont agree, at least they respect my opinion and try to understand it.
Don't try too hard to be accepted, and dont wait for them to come over and ask you to join you. Things will occur naturally. Sorry for not being a great help but....