Fdny -emt-b

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all the solid advice, NYMedic. I currently work in PA as an EMT and am attending a medic program in the fall. I'm hoping to work for the FDNY some day. I've always loved the city and I'd imagine the calls can be pretty interesting.

Is the stigma of it being underhanded for EMS going to the fire side via promotional exam still around? With the last class of probies being all former EMTs and paramedics I'd imagine nowadays the only way to get to fight fire is to work on the ambulances first....

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for all the solid advice, NYMedic. I currently work in PA as an EMT and am attending a medic program in the fall. I'm hoping to work for the FDNY some day. I've always loved the city and I'd imagine the calls can be pretty interesting.

Is the stigma of it being underhanded for EMS going to the fire side via promotional exam still around? With the last class of probies being all former EMTs and paramedics I'd imagine nowadays the only way to get to fight fire is to work on the ambulances first....

Judging by your "training" under your avatar you are a veteran which would grant you 5 points on the exam. If you live in the city limits you get another 5 points. As long as you score in the 90s on the test, you would get hired. (you need over a 98 or so to be hired)

Or you can work for EMS and wait to promote.

The calls are no different than anywhere else. We just have a high risk city for terrorism.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Since I don't have anyone else in the FDNY to ask I was wondering if you could answer two other questions for me.

First, what does it mean to be a full civil service paramedic? The EMS website says that to be eligible for promotion to firefighter you have to be a full civil service employee. I'm assuming time in service is how you become a civil service employee but does that just equate to full-time? Are there non-civil service EMTs and Medics?

Second, how do the "legacy" points work? You are correct that I would get the 5 points for veteran status and if I were working for the EMS side obviously I'd get the residency credit but I'm not sure what qualifies legacy. I have a great-grandfather who was an LODD in the FDNY and an uncle who retired a few years ago. Would either of those fulfill the requirement or is it intended for father/son legacy?

Thanks for the info!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Since I don't have anyone else in the FDNY to ask I was wondering if you could answer two other questions for me.

First, what does it mean to be a full civil service paramedic? The EMS website says that to be eligible for promotion to firefighter you have to be a full civil service employee. I'm assuming time in service is how you become a civil service employee but does that just equate to full-time? Are there non-civil service EMTs and Medics?

Second, how do the "legacy" points work? You are correct that I would get the 5 points for veteran status and if I were working for the EMS side obviously I'd get the residency credit but I'm not sure what qualifies legacy. I have a great-grandfather who was an LODD in the FDNY and an uncle who retired a few years ago. Would either of those fulfill the requirement or is it intended for father/son legacy?

Thanks for the info!

Everyone hired now is a full civil service. They don't update the site often.

I believe it has to be a direct blood relative mom/dad/sister/brother.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info. Once I get my medic, I'd love to work for the FDNY. At least for a little while, lol.

Stracy

Forum Ride Along
a quick question

I was browsing this thread and i'm looking to become a fdny emt. I'm currently an MA in Glendale ny. I was wondering what would be my starting point for becoming an emt. What certifications do i need? Any help would be great thanks.

SkyRider

Forum Ride Along
Addrobo: I am in Riverside, CA. I don't know about a lot of the Fire Agencies that are not County agencies, but I do know that Long Beach Fire has EMS units that are NOT Firefighters. You might look into them.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I was browsing this thread and i'm looking to become a fdny emt. I'm currently an MA in Glendale ny. I was wondering what would be my starting point for becoming an emt. What certifications do i need? Any help would be great thanks.

Not familiar with what an MA is?

Just get your EMT certification from any institution and apply for fdny when the semi-annual filing period opens. Thats about it...

Stracy

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the reply. I haven't started any schooling for emt, so i'm looking into what is the best way to break in to it i guess you would say. I was able to locate a local volunteer service I'll be contacting in the hopes they can also assist me.

Stracy

Forum Ride Along
Not familiar with what an MA is?

Just get your EMT certification from any institution and apply for fdny when the semi-annual filing period opens. Thats about it...

Certified Medical Assistant , generally it's phlebotomy,EKG,medical coding and billing, medical terminology. I recently took courses for radiology which was fun.