FDNY EMS Candidates

Jaybone977

Forum Crew Member
I've been keeping my eye on this whole outstanding cert thing. My file just changed back to outstanding certification from it being not outstanding for the past few weeks. From past examinations I understand this means their about to call you soon. Check the automated system.

I don't understand

acoustony

Forum Lieutenant
No should I?
Eh it's pretty unecessary lol if you look at past forums basically the pattern I've seen is when you call DCAS and check the status of your application you start off as outstanding then it moves to not outstanding for a period of time and right when your about to get called it changes back to outstanding.

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
Eh it's pretty unecessary lol if you look at past forums basically the pattern I've seen is when you call DCAS and check the status of your application you start off as outstanding then it moves to not outstanding for a period of time and right when your about to get called it changes back to outstanding.
I read into this on other formus for other jobs, you are non outstanding until your paperwork is completed or close to completed then you go on outstanding till everything is reviewed by I belive a supervisor or head investigator then once thats done you either get called or go back on non outstanding until they are ready to call you

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
You my certification changed from not outstanding on Saturday to Outstanding this morning. I'm getting excited!!!

USMCTom

Forum Probie
Got my lab results back, as suspected high cholesterol, or as labeled 'MILD ABNORMALITY'...the packet only says on the doctor eval sheet 'follow up with your personal doctor regarding cholesterol levels'...and another page says that this packet doesn't indicate qualification or disqualification....so does anyone know if I need to do anything else? It doesn't say to give them anything from my doctor or not when I go, and does this sound like a DQ or not?

Dot212

Forum Crew Member
I read into this on other formus for other jobs, you are non outstanding until your paperwork is completed or close to completed then you go on outstanding till everything is reviewed by I belive a supervisor or head investigator then once thats done you either get called or go back on non outstanding until they are ready to call you
Kinda makes since because I know i turned in whatever they asked for
Got my lab results back, as suspected high cholesterol, or as labeled 'MILD ABNORMALITY'...the packet only says on the doctor eval sheet 'follow up with your personal doctor regarding cholesterol levels'...and another page says that this packet doesn't indicate qualification or disqualification....so does anyone know if I need to do anything else? It doesn't say to give them anything from my doctor or not when I go, and does this sound like a DQ or not?
yoy should be good. I have a mild abnormality for cholesterol too, and I haven't been told that it's a problem.

Jaybone977

Forum Crew Member
That happened to me too. The night before I ate mad Burger King and crap lol you're ok. Just make sure you make weight.

USMCTom

Forum Probie
That happened to me too. The night before I ate mad Burger King and crap lol you're ok. Just make sure you make weight.

Ha thanks, yeah gained some muscle..and fat over this year, but plan to do a ~6 week running program like I did before boot camp to be ready for academy and cut some weight...so you didn't have to bring them any follow on paperwork?

Jaybone977

Forum Crew Member
Ha thanks, yeah gained some muscle..and fat over this year, but plan to do a ~6 week running program like I did before boot camp to be ready for academy and cut some weight...so you didn't have to bring them any follow on paperwork?

I always brought my paper work with me. Just in case. I did that too. Went from 220 to 190 in 30 days. I did a lot of long distance running. 6-10 miles a day.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain

You're not DQed, they just want you to follow up with your primary Doc and let him know their findings that is all. You are all good. Calls should def be going out Tuesday.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
To all that get call and start the Academy on the 31st.
Study, listen to your instructors, respect them and each other,
stay away from drama, gossip and just do you.
PT is no joke, but you are not alone your squad will encourage you and support you.
STUDY !! and you will pass.
Invest in a pair of good running shoes, wash your PT clothes (don't be that guy who thinks running will air out the smell)
Graduation is on Oct 27th and the following Monday the 31st a new academy begins.
Good luck

Dot212

Forum Crew Member
To all that get call and start the Academy on the 31st.
Study, listen to your instructors, respect them and each other,
stay away from drama, gossip and just do you.
PT is no joke, but you are not alone your squad will encourage you and support you.
STUDY !! and you will pass.
Invest in a pair of good running shoes, wash your PT clothes (don't be that guy who thinks running will air out the smell)
Graduation is on Oct 27th and the following Monday the 31st a new academy begins.
Good luck
Thanks for the tips.
Also, is there anything that needs to be done before the academy like picking gear up or do we start all that on the 31st? I'm coming from out of state so that would help to know.

Robert447

Forum Probie
You my certification changed from not outstanding on Saturday to Outstanding this morning. I'm getting excited!!!
Where do I check on my status being outstanding or not outstanding? Is there a link or a phone number to call?

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Thanks for the tips.
Also, is there anything that needs to be done before the academy like picking gear up or do we start all that on the 31st? I'm coming from out of state so that would help to know.

Buy a lock for your locker, notebook and when you get to the quarter master buy the black duffle bag to carry your books.
If you are taking the PM class then buy toiletries ( Bodywash, deodorant, towel etc ) Good idea to have a change of clothes ( in case of emergency)
Running shoes, to leave in your locker ( always be prepared for PT, You not being prepared your whole group gets punished)

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Here's big question. For those who are lucky enough to pick AM or PM tour...which one do all recommend..? What are some of the pros and cons for morning and night class?

IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE;
If you are a morning person then I suggest AM, I am and enjoyed getting home while the sun was still out and enough time to study, still get enough sleep. Also depending where you live, I live in Staten island and the commute was easy in the early morning. (zero traffic at 5am), no problems with parking in the academy lot.
Get there for 6AM and trust me take that study group at 6, it helps a great deal.
Pros for me: AM class, PT is last and you leave for home right after, easy parking.
Cons for me: you have to be a morning person and get there by 6AM

If you are a night person then give yourself enough time to get there at 2 pm for the study group and find parking.
remember you get out at 11 pm and ? time getting home. so you are up early to study and then leave for the academy.
everyone is different so chose what is convenient for you.