FDNY EMS Candidates

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Yup, I got my # in march, pat in April, intake in June, medical in June, and psych in July. Hired for this recent class.

At what point do they let you know weather your hired?

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
So what day are you guys due to graduate?

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Hey JPatt, is that like your background, references, drug use, medical problems, those types of questions? Those 7 hours of paperwork, is that after your hired and before class begins or before your hired? Thanks

She is talking about after you are hired. It is more people doing introductions and explaining programs.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
After eveything else

Are there things that can cause them to deny you? Such as, that guy has a college degree and that one only has high school, lets take that one, can they do that or it just goes by list number and if you have the minimum they will take you?

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
Are there things that can cause them to deny you? Such as, that guy has a college degree and that one only has high school, lets take that one, can they do that or it just goes by list number and if you have the minimum they will take you?

goes by number. doesnt matter if you have a degree or not. the only thing that can give you a leg up is evoc, hazmat ops, and previous experiance. other than that they put you in list order and call starting at #1 and work their way down to the end.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
goes by number. doesnt matter if you have a degree or not. the only thing that can give you a leg up is evoc, hazmat ops, and previous experiance. other than that they put you in list order and call starting at #1 and work their way down to the end.

Thank you.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you able to pick your shifts or you just get assigned one?

Depends where you go if they just tell you this is what your working or if they give you a choice. More than likely you won't get a choice. It will either be morning, evening or overnights and unless you do mutuals you will stay on those hours every day you work.

For anyone iffy about climbing stairs, it would behoove you to hit the gym on a regular basis for the sake of your own health and conditioning. Depending upon where you work, there is a good chance you may have to walk 6 flights and carry a patient down on a regular basis, or worse the elevator could be out. I think the furthest I ever had to walk was 20 flights with a carry down.

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Depends where you go if they just tell you this is what your working or if they give you a choice. More than likely you won't get a choice. It will either be morning, evening or overnights and unless you do mutuals you will stay on those hours every day you work.

For anyone iffy about climbing stairs, it would behoove you to hit the gym on a regular basis for the sake of your own health and conditioning. Depending upon where you work, there is a good chance you may have to walk 6 flights and carry a patient down on a regular basis, or worse the elevator could be out. I think the furthest I ever had to walk was 20 flights with a carry down.

*like* :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

steven9d3

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know what list number they have reached for the class now?

i am in the low 600s and passed my physical in june. i still haven't gotten my letter to meet with an investigator. Should i call or is this normal? i know i was one of the highest numbers at my last physical. Also if i pass all the required steps any idea when i should get a chance at the academy?

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Anyone know what list number they have reached for the class now?

i am in the low 600s and passed my physical in june. i still haven't gotten my letter to meet with an investigator. Should i call or is this normal? i know i was one of the highest numbers at my last physical. Also if i pass all the required steps any idea when i should get a chance at the academy?

Next academy is in Feb. I am in the early 300's and in the academy now. I would say you have a chance at the Feb academy.

As far as your intake I would say it is normal. Calling doesn't hurt if you wanna check and make sure though.

steven9d3

Forum Crew Member
Next academy is in Feb. I am in the early 300's and in the academy now. I would say you have a chance at the Feb academy.

As far as your intake I would say it is normal. Calling doesn't hurt if you wanna check and make sure though.

ok thanks for the quick answer. DO you have an guess when the next academy would be after Feb.? thanks again and good luck to you

FiremanMike

Just a dude

I could do 100 flights of stairs with an obese patient..

Oh, sorry, we have these http://www.fernoems.com/powertraxx

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Does any one know how long after filling the application we can expect a letter in the mail confirming it?

Thanks