FDNY EMS Candidates

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
YES bring the red bag everyday day to the academy, after the first day you probably just leave it in the car. but they might randomly ask you to go get it. and if you dont its a write up

You need the red bag with you everyday, with all your gear, when you line up in front of the building prior to your start tine

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Also, to any one that wants to go to fire, wory about ems first. If you're like those people who only want to do fire, and are doing ems just to take the promotional, and never worked on an ambulance, weather 911 or private, you'll have a hard time passing quizzes, exams, practicals, state test, evoc, scenarios, class finals etc, you're basically graded on everything, focus on ems , because if you screw up in ems by getting a CD,NOI or a 311 complaint , that will really hinder your chances moving to fire. Focus on ems first.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Question what does outstanding certificatation and not outstanding mean ???

Outstanding = wait
Not outstanding = in the next group to be hired

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Also, good luck to those doing the academy in February, see you guys soon at the fort

johnny chimpo

Forum Probie
I am gonna say lukgiel knows what they're talking about but the first day is at metrotech and is orientation. It's specifically noted in your letter what to bring with you and what to wear, there shouldn't be any confusion. The first day, like I said, is orientation and were gonna be inside doing paper work like payroll. You're not going to need your ppe, the letter doesn't say to bring it.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
People need to pay attention to detail and read what their letter says

Ryan815

Forum Lieutenant
If you never worked ems before don't be discouraged .. the first ambulance I ever sat in in my whole life was an FDNY one

bam5

Forum Crew Member
Hello to all

Guys I unpacked my red bag

Can you please post what needs
To go back in the red bag -- thks

Those reporting on mon
Don't forget to get a money order
For $ 9.00

Again thanks to all for your info it really helps

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Hello to all

Guys I unpacked my red bag

Can you please post what needs
To go back in the red bag -- thks

Those reporting on mon
Don't forget to get a money order
For $ 9.00

Again thanks to all for your info it really helps

Everything, besides your class A items, (excluding your cap) and you don't need five pairs of pants, you can leave the short sleeve blue shirt at home, and the grey PT stuff

bam5

Forum Crew Member
Hey lukgiel

Hope all is well

Just checking

Hard hat
Red sweatpants and sweatshirt
Both jackets long and short
Hazmat suit both pant and jacket
Gloves

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Hey lukgiel

Hope all is well

Just checking

Hard hat
Red sweatpants and sweatshirt
Both jackets long and short
Hazmat suit both pant and jacket
Gloves

Yeah, but you just need your work jacket, not the class A jacket or rain coat.
If you don't have class a, its on your paper, back ordered

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Great article. I'm glad the union is doing what they said.
They are also in talks of raising the wages, since its been a while since they were raised.

I've also heard that they plan on making the EMT academy harder. Since a lot use it as a stepping stone to fire, they will have more academics and incorporate the fire PT into the system.
Wonder how that will play out

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Anyone have any idea what would happen if you can't get in tomorrow for orientation?

They only do an orientation once every academy, so you'd be delayed until the next one, that's if they don't "fire" you.

If you can't drive, take public transportation

emtgjf

Forum Crew Member
I am trying to get home to dutchess county from up past Albany and then down to Brooklyn. Longest drive of my life and the roads are worse than horribly disgusting lol. I hope all is going well with you so far lukgiel.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Thanks, like wise.

I think the weather man is mentioning some rain and ice during rush hour, any chance you can start driving now before the worst hits

emtgjf

Forum Crew Member
I'm still almost 2 hours from hone and then another hour 45 minutes from brooklyn in good conditions. I might just head to brooklyn as soon as I get home and take a nap in my car somewhere near hq