Family and Friends CPR

McFly

Forum Probie
Hey guys!

I took an AHA Family & Friends CPR course on Saturday, and I REALLY enjoyed it SO much! This is truly a skill that everyone should obtain.

The lady paramedic who presented the course was so professional and warm, it just re-affirmed by dream of becoming a paramedic someday.

But damn, I never knew doing 30 compressions and 2 breaths for 5 times could make you so tired! :wacko:

All in all, it was a good day and I walked out of there with a new skill I never had before. It was money well spent. :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's great! I'd suggest taking the Heartsaver CPR and First Aid courses, I think you'll find those to be helpful and enjoyable too. The Heartsaver courses also certify you, meaning you'll be certified in the skills you've learned. Unfortunately the Friends and Family doesn't do that.

OP
OP
McFly

McFly

Forum Probie
That's great! I'd suggest taking the Heartsaver CPR and First Aid courses, I think you'll find those to be helpful and enjoyable too. The Heartsaver courses also certify you, meaning you'll be certified in the skills you've learned. Unfortunately the Friends and Family doesn't do that.

Hey Matt,

Already one step ahead of you mate! I booked my spot on those courses about 30 minutes ago. :) I can't wait to take them. It's about 4 days in the week.

Our local course only starts on 23 April, so I have to wait a bit unfortunately. Which sucks a bit.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Good for you.

I like the idea of Family and Friends... because it provides an alternative to Heartsaver CPR... and gives you the cool blow-up-doll ;). Yes, it'd be great if everyone learned the more intesive course... but I think "Family and Friends" is something we've already been doing. We've been teaching CPR to kids in schools, or to our own "family and friends" but not bothering to pay the fees and give them their cards... because they didn't "need" them.

Now, many places, for liability reasons, want folks to be CPR certified... places like Department Stores, Security Companys, and many office buildings....Family and Friends isn't the course for that. Neither is Healthcare Provider.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
But damn, I never knew doing 30 compressions and 2 breaths for 5 times could make you so tired! :wacko:
Just wait until you're doing it for 10 minutes waiting for help to arrive.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
or 5-10 minutes in the ED or on the ambulance!

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I can remember when the ratio was 15 compressions to 2 breaths,but things change after time.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
why diddnt you take the BLS cpr course ?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
McFly you are going in the right direction keep on going!!!:)

OP
OP
McFly

McFly

Forum Probie
why diddnt you take the BLS cpr course ?

Hey there!

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa so our courses are not the same as the one's you get in North America. I basically didn't know what course I was going to do, so I phoned up a private training company here and the lady told me that I should start with a CPR/choking course, and then continue from there if I really like it.

It just happened that the course I did was the AHA Family & Friends CPR one. I then enrolled for what the same company calls a First Aid Level 1 and 2 course. I thought that this would be the AHA HeartSaver AED and First Aid course, but it turns out that it's a course constructed by our local Department of Labour. Although it's valid for three years, it's not internationally recognized. Which sucks a bit. Because my wife and I are in the process of emigrating to Canada and I would have liked to take an internationally accredited course.

So, since I KNOW that I'm going to work my way up to become a paramedic, I cancelled the local Level 1 and 2 course to maybe take it later, or rather to take a Canadian-based course once we're over there.

I've got a long way to go... but baby-steps, right? :)

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant

For the first time since the guidelines have changed (15:2 to 30:2), I did CPR on Friday night & it was quite tiring! And boy were my arms sore the next morning!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey there!

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa so our courses are not the same as the one's you get in North America. I basically didn't know what course I was going to do, so I phoned up a private training company here and the lady told me that I should start with a CPR/choking course, and then continue from there if I really like it.

It just happened that the course I did was the AHA Family & Friends CPR one. I then enrolled for what the same company calls a First Aid Level 1 and 2 course. I thought that this would be the AHA HeartSaver AED and First Aid course, but it turns out that it's a course constructed by our local Department of Labour. Although it's valid for three years, it's not internationally recognized. Which sucks a bit. Because my wife and I are in the process of emigrating to Canada and I would have liked to take an internationally accredited course.

So, since I KNOW that I'm going to work my way up to become a paramedic, I cancelled the local Level 1 and 2 course to maybe take it later, or rather to take a Canadian-based course once we're over there.

I've got a long way to go... but baby-steps, right? :)
Good for you. Canada has a different EMS System than South Africa AND the United States... and I'm sure we've got some Canadians around to help explain their system.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Good for you.

I like the idea of Family and Friends... because it provides an alternative to Heartsaver CPR... and gives you the cool blow-up-doll ;). Yes, it'd be great if everyone learned the more intesive course... but I think "Family and Friends" is something we've already been doing. We've been teaching CPR to kids in schools, or to our own "family and friends" but not bothering to pay the fees and give them their cards... because they didn't "need" them.

Now, many places, for liability reasons, want folks to be CPR certified... places like Department Stores, Security Companys, and many office buildings....Family and Friends isn't the course for that. Neither is Healthcare Provider.

I'm not too familiar with all the certifications but for those who are not healthcare professionals, Red Cross certification is a good alternative.

Red Cross has Adult CPR, as well as Infant/Child. Definitely the best route for those who are lifeguards, babysitters, etc.

American Heart Association BLS (CPR for the Healthcare Provider) should only be for doctors, nurses, and of course, us (EMTs). In MA, you need AHA BLS before you can become an EMT-B. And on my squad (I'm sure at other places too) when I first became an MFR I needed it too.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm not too familiar with all the certifications but for those who are not healthcare professionals, Red Cross certification is a good alternative.

Red Cross has Adult CPR, as well as Infant/Child. Definitely the best route for those who are lifeguards, babysitters, etc.

American Heart Association BLS (CPR for the Healthcare Provider) should only be for doctors, nurses, and of course, us (EMTs). In MA, you need AHA BLS before you can become an EMT-B. And on my squad (I'm sure at other places too) when I first became an MFR I needed it too.
AHA and ARC offer similar courses... there is a Healthcare provider/professional rescurer for those of us who do CPR for a living.... a lower "layperson" level that is combinations of adult and/or child CPR with or without AED training. All give you a certification card.

THere is also a course that AHA put out that is a "familiarization" course... not a certification course... the idea is that it is a way to provide very low cost, entry-level CPR Training to those who don't need a cert card. That is the "family and friends" course.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
All organizations that teach CPR etc., utilizes the Emergency Cardiac Care Committee (ECC) that makes formal recommendations. Usually, professional health care organizations (hospitals, etc) accept only AHA, since they set the standard(s) from the ECC.

There might a few different views, which would be considered nominal in teaching.

R/r 911

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
AHA and ARC offer similar courses... there is a Healthcare provider/professional rescurer for those of us who do CPR for a living.... a lower "layperson" level that is combinations of adult and/or child CPR with or without AED training. All give you a certification card.

THere is also a course that AHA put out that is a "familiarization" course... not a certification course... the idea is that it is a way to provide very low cost, entry-level CPR Training to those who don't need a cert card. That is the "family and friends" course.

I can speak as an expert for that b/c the fact I am a red cross volunteer and it is true,Red Cross does have alot better options of class to take for different certifications,and trust me,it is worth the time and cost to go and get trained in these.