Failed my EMT-B course by 1% point.

JPINFV

Gadfly
on a H/HP/P/F system?

Yep, P=MD on any sort of P/NP system (there's almost as much variety in P/NP systems as there are EMT levels. My favorite is the Honors/High pass/ Pass/Low Pass/Fail. After all, A/B/C/D/F is too complicated). Alternatively, my school currently reports the percent grade, so the saying is 70=DO.

Of course, as I said earlier, a good course director can design a test to get any average they want. Also, at least in medical school, there is a formal process to remediate classes that a student failed as well as a formal monitoring committee (Student Performance Committee). I'd say, on average, somewhere around 5% of the class fails each course at my school (about 5-10 students). However it is extremely extremely easy to booch an exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

LVemtb

Forum Ride Along
If you really did fail the final by 1% point and otherwise had a perfect academic record, it seems to me youd have a pretty good case to be retested. Did you take the NREMT practical exam?

No, in my state to take the exam you must pass the B class. I'd like to be retested, but have been flatly denied. I'll be sending a letter to the director. Although, from the way my teacher made it sound was that she doesn't want to let me retake. But our course clearly states that to pass your final must be 75% and final grade a 75% as well. So I can have a 73% in class and score an 80% on the exam and pass the class, because it's accumulative and brings up your grade- but it doesn't work the other way around. I missed exactly 2 questions more than allowed. (which I honestly changed 2 questions that were infact correct the first time! doh!) but they don't seem to care. But I'm writing an appeal. Not sure what to say though.

Also, one 12 hour ambulance clinical is a joke. My school required at least 40 hours, plus ER and ICU clinical time and had clinical objectives that needed to be met. We had some students do like 100 hours trying to get objectives done.

Uh, yeah. It is a huge joke. One of the guys in my class told me I had a BP of 120/110. I'd have pericardial tamponade, and probably be dead. Yet he passed the class.

On my ride along the comments were that, "I would definitely pass the class" and that I could, "give comparable baseline vitals, and could follow procedure. " and that I was, "already thinking like a paramedic."

I also requested another ride-along but was not allowed.

I've taken college courses before and never have I taken a test and not known what was on the test! It was very clear what we should go over and review. I did the chapter reviews at the end of each chapter, and still saw things on the test I had never seen before (or remember). Again, whats frustrating is that I passed the class with an accumulative score (final included) but failed the very last test at 74%. Every other test I was scoring 76-82%. Why is it that on the last test I would do less than my average? If a final is review why then would I fail it if I should know everything on it?

There were about 20 people in the class to start and we ended with 6 or so?

Interesting to note, all previous tests before the final (except mid-term) were made by the teacher, the final was written by NCTI.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdonl

Forum Captain
^^^ If there is one thing I've learned... heh... it's read the book, pick the stupid answers on tests, and you will get a good grade. :rolleyes:

The one thing I learned here... UNDERSTAND WHY THE ANSWER IS CORRECT...

And why we do practicals in certain orders.

Then, when a question is posed in a way you have never seen it you are not thrown for a loop. You just apply your understanding of pre-hospital care to the question and pick the best answer based on the DOT curriculum :)

I HOPE!! :sad:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate "schools" that will fail you entirely based upon your final exam score, while completely ignoring everything up until that point. No real accredited school does that. The point here is to avoid NCTI. I am really sorry you have to experience a place like NCTI. Go to the community college and I am sure you will ace it. good luck!!