Facial Hair allowed?

M1ke10191

Forum Probie
I did a search but it didn't completely answer my question. I plan on working as an EMT once I become one. For now I work at McDonald's (I'm only 18 so it's all good lol) and I hate having to shave each shift. I don't mind keeping any hair trimmed, but is facial hair allowed? Is it on an agency by agency basis?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Unfortunately, some agencies do allow facial hair.

Your best bet is to contact possible employers directly to find out their policy, as there is no blanket answer to this question.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Get used to shaving, kid. Mustaches are fine, though, not many can pull 'em off. Beards are unprofessional, unless, you're a wildland firefighter.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If it interferes with your safety, the facial hair should be removed. Some will argue for their "rights" and all I can say to that is: sign a waiver that you and/or your family will not be able to claim workmen's comp or death benefits once you catch a potentially deadly illness or you do die while employed as an EMT. That also goes if you are injured or killed on your fire job if your equipment can not adequately protect you due to your facial hair.

OP
OP
M

M1ke10191

Forum Probie
Get used to shaving, kid. Mustaches are fine, though, not many can pull 'em off. Beards are unprofessional, unless, you're a wildland firefighter.

Maybe I came off as vague. I don't mean not shaving for 2 weeks at a time, I mean having a trimmed goatee or thin beard.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
It depends. Some treat it like a paramilitary thing, only allowed to have a mustache. Some, like mine, are more laid back and as long as it's neat and tidy they don't care.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Maybe I came off as vague. I don't mean not shaving for 2 weeks at a time, I mean having a trimmed goatee or thin beard.

I will never understand how people can have a carpet on their face. It just looks like they'd be insanely itchy.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know my company doesn't care so long as it doesn't look unkempt.

I have one, trimmed and shaved, and have it so that it doesn't interfere with the N-95, as should be the standard.

Sasha-- it makes having a snack on hand during long calls just that much easier.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
We cant have facial here, they use the excuse that you need proper seal for the N95.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

Or if you work in Washington DC. (as a firefighter)

I say just shave. Just one less thing you have to take care of.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I had to shave every. single. day. at boot.

The worst was my last night there when a recruit felt like he didn't have to shave. We ALL had to shave dry, against the grain, without a handle because of him.

He didn't get any sleep.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
n1525350667_30096892_8766.jpg

(almost) 21
n1525350667_30343618_6373983.jpg

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Whether well-trimmed facial hair is unprofessional or not is a matter of opinion.

The excuse about N-95 masks seems like a shady excuse. One of the N-95 fit test instructor videos even implies that facial hair is alright (forget the exact wording...it's been awhile).