Eye protection

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
Hi... I am new from Chicagoland.

My question is about eye protection from blood born pathogens... is there any standard for this? Does the ANSI Z87.1 standard include this?

I ask because I wear glasses and am interested in buying Rx safety glasses.

Any help would be great.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Hi... I am new from Chicagoland.

My question is about eye protection from blood born pathogens... is there any standard for this? Does the ANSI Z87.1 standard include this?

I ask because I wear glasses and am interested in buying Rx safety glasses.

Any help would be great.

I believe it's state-by-state protocol.. In my NYS protocol book it has what you should be wearing what PPE for. i.e. taking blood pressure-no ppe. IV-gloves. intubation- gloves, mask, eye shields...given that nobody really follows these...

Flip through your protocol book for it.

And of course, Welcome to EMTLife!

OP
OP
M

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
My department has a safety glasses SOP that states on all EMS calls eye protection should be worn. Every one on my dept wheres standard large goggle style but these are uncomfortable over my glasses.

The real question is... What constitutes eye protection in EMS?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The real question is... What constitutes eye protection in EMS?

I suggest searching NIOSH web site. I beleive that you will find it has cover the eyes from all angles, to prevent splashing from occurring, shatter proof, etc.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
I've got a pair of the old Oakley M-Frame wrap arounds that i broke the sunglass lense in so I ordered a clear lense and now they are my PPE goggles. I either toss them in the bag at the start of the shift, or keep them somewhere directly on my person. They work great, and look better than the old High School Chem Lab goggles we stock.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe it's state-by-state protocol.. In my NYS protocol book it has what you should be wearing what PPE for. i.e. taking blood pressure-no ppe. IV-gloves. intubation- gloves, mask, eye shields...given that nobody really follows these...

Flip through your protocol book for it.

And of course, Welcome to EMTLife!

Its not "State by State". Remember, many states actually allow the individual medical director to make protocol decisions instead of archaic pencil pushers who are 20 years behind the times. But I digress..................

This isn't even really a protocol issue, its common sense! Use your PPE. All the time, every time......

Our policy is gloves and goggles on EVERY pt. Don't do it, your fired, simple as that.

It's sad that some still don't feel the need to protect themselves...........

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
It's sad that some still don't feel the need to protect themselves...........

It's that they don't want to look 'stupid' or like a 'n00b' by wearing protection. Same thing with wearing a face mask. Some people feel weird being the only one wearing goggles and a face mask.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
You are correct in your assumption. However, next time someone says something like that, ask them how stupid they would look jaundiced after contracting Hepatitis..................Might get 'em to think about it!

OP
OP
M

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
i was thinking of the same thing with the oakley wrap around style... but is that good enough?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I like the videos and pictures in our textbooks showing the medics with will protective equipment on. I once wondered where I can find goggles and aprons on the ambulance. No one knew!

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
i was thinking of the same thing with the oakley wrap around style... but is that good enough?

Most definately! The lens covers just as much if not more than the cheap-o folding plastic throw-a-ways. They are a more "custom" fit so they arent constantly sliding off your face, and I have'nt had them fog up on me once either. One of our supervisors asked me where I got the clear lens for them, he wanted one as well.

OP
OP
M

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
Most definately! The lens covers just as much if not more than the cheap-o folding plastic throw-a-ways. They are a more "custom" fit so they arent constantly sliding off your face, and I have'nt had them fog up on me once either. One of our supervisors asked me where I got the clear lens for them, he wanted one as well.

Thanks... for all those looking at this thread check out usstandardissue.com. This is Oakley's government direct site for soldiers and government workers. They offer saftey glasses and even RX for a very cheap price. My new RX Oakley safety glasses cost 155 bucks!!! What a deal, considering oakley glasses at the store that are non RX are about the same price... anyone who is interested in protecting their eyes should check out this site.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll continue to wear the dorky over-my-glasses eye goggles. I'm not paying that kind of money to purchase something that I may or may not be able to properly disinfect after a call. Lots of little crevices for pathogens to hide and that's awfully close to my eyeballs for my comfort. But then, I'm a bit of a freak about the germ thing.

OP
OP
M

Moparcarl

Forum Ride Along
I'll continue to wear the dorky over-my-glasses eye goggles. .

my point is that the dorky over the glasses goggles are probably not offering you the same protection as if you had something covering your eye like a wrap around sun glass style. When I where the goggles over my glasses... I dont know about you but their is a large area between the goggle and the edge of my face. Not to mention that it is very uncomfortable, we are running 10 to 13 ems calls a day out of our station, comfort is important also.

I have been reporting my research to my medical officer on my dept... he is very interested in purchasing Rx safety glasses for our Medics. They already bought Rx inserts for our SCBA. This may be something that your dept may sponsor.

Im just thinking out loud to see what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
As professional lifeguards we are tought to remove our sunglasses when we are aproached by a beach patron in order to be more polite while addressing the beach goer's concern. HOWEVER, if we have to provide emergency pre-hospital medical care we are encouraged to keep our sunglasses on unless other eye protection is available.

I know it is not a solution if you work at night or inside a building but at least it is a solution while outdoor in daylight.

Guri