Exercise Induced Anaphylaxsis

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a 33yo F pt, 39weeks pregnant, G2P1. She had been laying in bed with her youngest got out of bed, drank two glasses of water fairly quickly, and almost immediately after finishing the second glass fairly significant angioedema set in. No urticaria. Faint wheezing in all fields. The pt apparently had the same thing happen in her first pregnancy approximatley 10 days prior to giving birth.

Her only HX was Exercise Induced Anaphylaxsis. No meds other than prenatal vitamins. Only known allergies were to PCN.

Whats the corralation here? I have been reading on EIA. It doesn't seem that drinking the water to fast should have caused this reaction. But with the same reaction during her first pregnancy, around the same time, it makes me wonder if the hormone changes that occur prior to giving birth cause it.

It was especially a neat call for me personally because I have had severe allergic reactions. We have not been able to identify the cause of them, the allergist I saw dumbed it down for me as I am allergic to some chemical my body produces, and when it happens, I will react.

lizhiniatsos

Forum Crew Member
How interesting...thanks for sharing this! Maybe THAT's why I wake up unconscious and nearly dead every time I exercise!!:huh: Seriously tho'...it's good information that I'd never heard before...the kind of stuff that'll come in handy one day, no doubt about it!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Here's another good overview of allergies:

http://www.aaaai.org/professionals/resources/pdf/anaphylaxis_1998.pdf

This site is an excellent source for information.
http://www.aaaai.org

Other severe allergic reactions you may see are Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN). These are the patients I see occasionally in the ICU on ventilators and many times they are put in the Burn ICU due to the lesions and epidermal detachment.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
This is definetly interesting I will have to look into it some, But for now I'm going to sit back and let the more experienced folk tell me about it!!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a difficult time with allergies during pregnancy. I was told it was related to the increased blood volume.