Ever treat a 4 legged patient??

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Yesterday my partner and I were dispatched to an animal bite, and were told PD and animal control were on the way and the dog was locked up.

Pulling up to the scene I see a woman sitting on the ground covered in blood next to a motionless dog. As a Dog owner my first thought was the cop shot the dog and that was something I didnt really want to see. Turns out, the lady was walking her dogs and a pit bull mix had got loose and bit one of them.

Now I don't know much about K9 Anatomy but this pit definitely hit an artery, but I don't believe it was a major one. There was a lot of blood. At this point we didn't really want to leave and do nothing so we called our Sup and he said do what you can and if they needed us they would call, so we grabbed some ABD pads and controlled the bleeding. And started considering an IV and some fluids, but neither of us had a clue where to even start an IV on a dog (we later found out inside the leg is best, as one of our medics has done it).

The dog was still alive when Animal control showed up to take it to the emergency vet, though its respiratory rate had gone from 24 to 32(after a quick google is still normal for a dog, but still considering the circumstances).

He perked up and started licking the blood off himself once we got him in the truck so that was a good sign. I know some people would say its not our job and would have left, but considering we weren't needed I think helping where we could was a good thing to do.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Good for you! It's awesome that your supervisor allowed you to hang around and do what you could. I've treated a couple dogs - one for a mauling from another dog, and one for hypothermia. I've also taken care of a cat with smoke inhalation.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have not the slightest clue as to what to do for a dog... One of the medics that works with me would run the other way (shes terrified of dogs)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Our first responder units have dog O2 masks, and I've been told by a supervisor that they've transported a few injured pups to the vet over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Very cool story thanks for sharing. At some point I'd love to take the animal medic course they offer at Houston community college so I can volunteer with a rescue group.

OP
OP
rmabrey

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Our first responder units have dog O2 masks, and I've been told by a supervisor that they've transported a few injured pups to the vet over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard of "adapters" that fit over thier muzzle that a standard NRB would fit on the end. Sure would have been handy to have

bigbaldguy

I've heard of "adapters" that fit over thier muzzle that a standard NRB would fit on the end. Sure would have been handy to have

The outfit I volley with has them. Never heard of one being used. There are some pretty good videos on YouTube showing how to start an iv on a canine FYI.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I know some people would say its not our job and would have left, but considering we weren't needed I think helping where we could was a good thing to do.
Our job is to assist people in a time of medical or emotional crisis. The assistance isn't always of a medical nature, nor is it always directly to the person in crisis.

You did your job.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a cocker spaniel who had CHF and some form of reactive airway disease. We tried balancing an oral bronchodilator, a diuretic and an ACE inhibitor. Nitrates were too dangerous because we couldn't monitor her BP. She reacted similarly to a human, i.e. Lasix exacerbated her RAD and theophylline seemed to put too much strain on her heart. FYI, her lung sounds were very similar to those of humans with the same conditions. Also, the first indication of hypoxia usually was tachypnea and a change in mental status (I always had trouble finding her pulse).

I'm no vet, but my impression was that there were more similarities to humans than differences during emergent care.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bleeding control and o2 i could see... putting drugs into a dog? No. I could easily see a person coming back with a "you killed my dog!" Lawsuit.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

afro

Forum Ride Along
My sister is a veterinary technician and you'd be amazed at how much of what we know transfers over.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Last edited by a moderator:

mommak90

Forum Ride Along
Before I went to school to get my EMT cert I went for Vet Tech and worked at an animal hospital. I couldn't keep up with the job because I am way too soft hearted with animals than people. But amazingly, when I took my vet tech classes we had to learn human anatomy before animal anatomy to see the relevance. It made my EMT classes easier and getting my IVs on people was a sinch after having to do it to squirming animals all the time. Its pretty neat how much animal and human treatment is alike.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I took a Tac Medic course that also taught us K9 care, dogs get Pedi doses of Meds. And can get the same Meds as a Human.

Best method to remember where to start an IV is, but up, head down. meaning if they are laying on there side their rear leg that is on top should have a nice vien running across where the tendon is, and their front legs the leg that is closest to the ground will have the vien sticking up

bigbaldguy

Bleeding control and o2 i could see... putting drugs into a dog? No. I could easily see a person coming back with a "you killed my dog!" Lawsuit.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Just FYI
The laws in nearly every state in the US only allow a person to sue you for the actual value of the dog because dogs are considered property. It would be like if you kicked someones TV in. They can only sue you for the actual cost of the TV. I don't agree with it but that's how it works.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I am pretty comfortable around animals. Kinda helps that i live on a farm. :)
I would apply first aid to a animal in a call, but i would still keep a close watch on not getting bit. animals tend to do things out of "character " when injured, and tis best for a vet to handle . When it is not your own animal.
i have been bitten/scratched/clawed/given a blackeye a number of times by my own animals when they are in too much pain. that is why i keep sedative or numbing injectable solutions in my vet bag.:cool: