Ever Transported a Peds Psych?

aberrant

Forum Probie
Yup. My first call on the job after Basic. Very violent 10 year old in restraints.. it definitely caught me off guard. Since then I've had about 3 more ped psych call, routine now.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes I have just one.

I wonder how many of the 'yes' answers above are for real psych patients vs the more common 'having a bad week' psych patient.

My 8-yeer old psych was a real psych. And I found it difficult, mentally, to restrain her as she fought me. Next time probay won't be so bad since that was my first time but it was definitely different than an adult psych for me.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
I've never had to use "mechanical restraints" (i.e. tied sheet, four-points, etc) on a child, but I have had more than my fair share of manually restraining children (i.e. holding them down with my hands) who are having temper tantrums or trying to hurt themselves/someone else. Not an easy task, emotionally. :sad:

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
My first was a 6 year old for anger issues...he was scared to death and shaking...I had him relaxed and laughing within a few minutes... just took my time with him explaining what was going on and just made some connections with him....no need to be a ***. Ive had suicide attempts from a 10 year old...made a noose n climbed a tree....poor kid was gonna make it stick....honestly 80% we behavioral not mental.

Integrityornothing

Forum Ride Along
Had one during my clinicals. 17 y/o who had ran out of his meds. He went a walk-in clinic for help, and they told him to pack sand. Started making threats and walked into traffic on a busy highway. He was fine once we got him in the back. I was closer in age to him than my preceptors, so he talked to me the whole way. Said he was a veteran. Call of duty counts on account of how realistic it is.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I have had a few. Most of them are calm and cooperative. The ones that are not and invol oh boy do you need to make sure your restraints are on tight and secure. I also recommend taping a pillow next to the wall they can reach with their head.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I've done it a couple times. One seemed relatively normal aside from having a one sided conversation with her mom, who was following in a car behind us. The other one was in restraints and did a pretty good impression of the girl from the exorcist the whole way. Both had attempted suicide.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I've had two. One was an 8 year old male with schizophrenia, sad... The other was a 12 year old girl who had tried to kill herself (not the first time either). Both were depressing, but the patients were well behaved and didn't pose any hazard. The 8 year old was a little interesting because he kept asking for wipes to "get the blood off" of his hands, but in general he was pretty calm. I just felt really bad for them.

TechYourself

NRP, FP-C
We transport peds psych patients all the time from our ED to our off site psych facility.

Some kids need it. And sometimes I just get the feeling that the parents are checking them in to get a break for the weekend...

I think the youngest I've brought over was 6.

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I have as well. 2 in the same day. Both under 12 attempted suicide. They got buckle locks but not 4-points. They were really quite and refused to talk to me. These were both as a student-EMT. It was definitely a different type of call...

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone here ever transported a Peds (12 and under) Psych patient? Is it more difficult than transporting an adolescent/adult/geriatric psych patient? I think that's going to be the biggest hurdle for me, as there are two psych facilities in my general area that have a Peds ward (Children 3-12 y/o).

Yes i have, i found it easier because kids are small , easy to handle.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
taken a 9 yr old boy. who was deeply troubled

Original story since mom and dad drove him into the ED. they were his foster parents. 2nd set of foster parents. He was originally in a foster home where he was sexually abused for "punishment"

Since he has become sexually aggressive and has been caught performing oral sex on foster brothers and sisters. and was told by former foster parents that sexual abuse is the retaliation for doing something wrong. To the point where if he does something wrong or breaks something he had said to his foster mom "are you gonna have sex with me now?"

the foster mother was telling me that he has 2 siblings a brother and sister who all were in the same home. Apparently the other 2 have improved their behavior due to heavy therapy he has not.