Ever question your abilities?

lucro91

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've lurked this website for about a month now but just now got up the courage to make an account and post! :D

I'm 21 and currently in EMT-B training in SC. I have a deep passion for this profession and I can't wait to get certified. ^_^

When you all were first in training or right before, did you ever wonder if you could do it? (As in have the physical capabilities)

I'm in a class with several firefighters, rescue squad members and all around very fit men.

As for me, I'm a 5'5", hefty female, but I'm stronger (lift and carry-wise) than other women (and quite a few men) that I know.

Anyone else ever wonder if they will be able to meet the physical demands of EMT life?

We all know fitness is important. Now that I've gotten the PC line out of the way, here is the truth. Almost every EMT I know has serious back and knee problems. I have herniated discs, arthritis in my thoracic spine, and a twisted pelvis. The horrid EMS lifestyle has led to me gaining 45 lbs in four years. Most of my co-workers also gained serious weight when they got into EMS. I don't consider myself particularly strong, but I manage to get the job done. I am concerned about my own physical deconditioning, but I am taking steps to improve it. The point of all this is: have faith in yourself, don't slip into the drive-through burger EMS diet. Exercise. Lift properly and don't be afraid to ask for help. You will be fine.

I'm young, so yeah.

No back issues, a knee issue from a pre-existing injury. I can deadlift 405 lbs, squat 315, and bench upwards of 230. I weigh roughly 170, potentially 172 or so after these last few days of nomming and sedentary lifestyle.

Learn to say no, learn to workout, and you'll be fine.

I know some seriously out of shape medics/small medics/female medics ect. who do fine. I would encourage you to do a little research on proper lifting technique. I've said it before and I'll say it again. In the day to day nuts and bolts type lifting that an EMT does I think smaller weaker people tend to have the advantage because they do not substitute brute strength for proper form and technique. I don't care how strong you are or how many pounds you can dead lift or live lift or vampire lift if you lift improperly your back is done. I'm a big guy and I learned the hard way that the worst time to learn how to lift properly is after you have already hurt your back.

I'm young, so yeah.

No back issues, a knee issue from a pre-existing injury. I can deadlift 405 lbs, squat 315, and bench upwards of 230. I weigh roughly 170, potentially 172 or so after these last few days of nomming and sedentary lifestyle.

Match you on squat/Deadlift but got you by a bit on bench ;)

Not a knock by any means on those that can lift more weight than me by any means, but it's the proper technique that matters. I work with a guy that is 6' 4" and one strong dude (body builder type), but someone times his lifting technique is kind of poor, because he can get away with it. Until that one day comes when he underestimates how much the patient ways and lifts with only his back and arms and then ouch.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, it'll catch up to you!

I expected my back to go sour, and its my knees doin' the screaming!

Thanks guys. I don't know anything about those kinds of lifts or anything and what my numbers are but I know I can carry my 210 lb boyfriend like a groom does his bride on their wedding day, lol (when he was 210 :o) Yeah, I know... it should be the other way around, haha

Attachments

• 0060-0808-2812-5624_Groom_Carrying_His_Bride_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg
    0060-0808-2812-5624_Groom_Carrying_His_Bride_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm young, so yeah.

Next, take those maxes to about 80%, and do them in a continous curcuit (start modest, about 8 reps) with 400meter runs in between each circuit, for 35 mins. Let me know how you feel after that. :P

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, it'll catch up to you!

I expected my back to go sour, and its my knees doin' the screaming!

Ain't that the truth. If I hadn't dislocated my knee rescuing a leg less dummy from a pretend fire I would not be in such sorry shape.

I'm young, so yeah.

I wish I could lift that, but agree. I do deadlifts
at least twice a week and lots of abdominal work.

@ the OP If you couple this with good lifting technique you will be fine.

An important thing to consider is that I would think that being a woman you might feel like you have to try to lift heavy things to prove that you can. Please resist this temptation. If you need help, ask for it. We all need help sometimes.

None of the people that might criticize your lifting abilities are going to pay for your medical bills when you get hurt.

EDIT: To the original question. I do not doubt my abilities but am aware of my limitations. Know your limitations and stay within them.

@ Doczilla; I have started working out as you suggest. You are one tough dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are out of shape and rarely do physical activities, I suggest you begin natural strength training to reinforce your unused muscles, do "Insanity" (work out video). You need your muscles to get used to lifting and stretching I would never recommend anyone to go hit the weights if you haven't worked out in a while. After you have your body has gotten used to exercise then get into weights. If you go into weight lifting off the bat you are at higher risk for injuries. And if you have NEVER done dead lifts DO NOT begin, that stuff puts a lot of strain on your back, that will most definitely end your EMS career.

Cardio and strength work out helps tremendously in the field, it makes you a healthier person in the sense of increasing your immune system(from dealing with the sick and contagious) , healthier sleep (for those long 12-24 hr shift), and easier when it comes to lifting the gurney or stair chairs.

I wish I could lift that, but agree. I do deadlifts
at least twice a week and lots of abdominal work.

@ the OP If you couple this with good lifting technique you will be fine.

An important thing to consider is that I would think that being a woman you might feel like you have to try to lift heavy things to prove that you can. Please resist this temptation. If you need help, ask for it. We all need help sometimes.

None of the people that might criticize your lifting abilities are going to pay for your medical bills when you get hurt.

EDIT: To the original question. I do not doubt my abilities but am aware of my limitations. Know your limitations and stay within them.

@ Doczilla; I have started working out as you suggest. You are one tough dude!

It wasn't always that way.

Www.militaryathlete.com

Check it out. Legit.

Back