etiquette, protocol and manners among EMS

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
So I am visitng my parents and a situation occurs where I needed to call EMS for my Dad.

In my parent's area, paid paramedics arrive first, in a fly-car, do an assesment and then EMTs in an ambulance come and they designate the patient either BLS or ALS and transport accordingly.

The medics left after the intial assesment.

No, I did not pull the "I am an EMT"-CARD out. I was calm and brief. A resident and the ER supervisor both asked me if I was somehow involved in healthcare by the general way I acted (so, cue up a few "cool story bro" images to post in this thread).

I want to express my appreciation to the service that helped my Dad. I was going to write their EMS Chief a letter and enclose patches from my service. One for the EMT's house, One for the Medic's house, and one each for the two EMTs and two paramedics.

Something, however, tells me mailing six patches would be overkill. However, again, if I just send them to the EMTs the Medics might feel unappreciated, if I just send them to the males (one male EMT and one female EMT) the females might feel slighted, even though they probably care not for patches; though women do get jealous easily.

If I just send one for each HQ, the rest of the staff might pressure the individuals to give up the personal patches for the house, which they may want for a personal collection, and when they leave the service (the guy EMT had already been with another agency and is going away to grad school out of the area in a year) they lose their "memento."

Then the other day, before I could ask my services uniform guy for six patches, he write me asking for pens from my "day" job. He was doing a training session and I bought a handful. They were bright colors and had squeezy rubber balls for clickers. I intended to donate them for the service but he scarfed them all for himself. There were about ten.

They went fast, people liked them, some people (females included) said they reminded them of boob-ies. One person even made a comment about them being used for female 'relief' needs, and that was a girl.

I found the link for them:

http://factory.dhgate.com/pencils/large-rubber-grip-stress-ball-clicker-pen-ep44-p38615410.html

At the office I asked the owner if she had anymore. There was one left. It was red. So I have at least one to give him. I might have more in my apartment and there may be one or two in the company vehicles. I have yet to check.

Bottom line, I can give him at least one.

Is it wierd to ask for six patches ?

I would even pay for them.

Is it wierd to send them ? Would a letter just suffice ? Or less patches ?

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK, how would YOU thank another agency that helped one of your close family memebers ?

I just brewed a cup of this no-name expresso from a Mexican bodega, I gotta run to CVS and get a Skor bar to accompany it.

You all have your topic.

Discuss:

Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I think a well-written, genuine letter of appreciation will go a long way towards showing how much you appreciated their service. I wouldn't send any patches, but that's just me.

It's great that you are making the effort to say thank you. People are always very quick to file a complaint when they are unhappy, but not as fast to express their gratitude and appreciation.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah, forget the patches. Just send a thank you card.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Just a thank you note with mention of specific details you thought were great is more than sufficient.

I love writing letters to anyone who gives me great service. I hope it comes out on their eval. The only year I ever go all 5s on my customer service part of the annual eval was becuase I had 3 or 4 letters in my file. My service said 4 was "meets expectations" and you needed to have documentation to get 5s.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Another vote for a letter.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
tells me mailing six patches would be overkill. However, again, if I just send them to the EMTs the Medics might feel unappreciated, if I just send them to the males (one male EMT and one female EMT) the females might feel slighted, even though they probably care not for patches; though women do get jealous easily.

Prepare for onslaught...

As for the question of patches vs no patches: Don't bother sending patches. Just send a thank you letter.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah men dont ever get jealous. The fact you were thinking about only giving to one sex baffles me. Ems isnt a mans profession anymore.

Why do you assume they want patches? Just send a letter.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Yeah just send a well written thank you card maybe with a picture of you and your dad so they remember who it was.
That said when I really want to express thanks to someone in the field especially someone who has taken the time to teach me something I have pens I give them. I ordered the pens from a place online and they have a pen light built into one end. On the side of the pen I had "I helped an EMT and all I got was this lousy pen and a grateful EMT" printed on the side. The pens cost me 1.99 each and people I give them to love them. I'll PM you the site as I don't want people to think I'm advertising for the place. And for those of you who say that this is corny and I should just buy people donuts, a box of donuts is 6.50 and the pens are 2 bucks you do the math :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah but you can eat donuts. Generally its frowned upon to eat pens.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
However, again, if I just send them to the EMTs the Medics might feel unappreciated, if I just send them to the males (one male EMT and one female EMT) the females might feel slighted, even though they probably care not for patches; though women do get jealous easily.]

I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the random and unnecessary sexism or the incorrect semicolon use.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
What's the simplest way to say Thank You?

"Thanks: You all made a big difference!"

Date, Time of call, Medics on duty, Basic and up.

But please do something quick; it's painful to watch you agonize so!