ER Tech vs Rig Work

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
"NYS hasn't even sent you your card yet and your attitude is fine? Whatever "

Yes, though two very independent things you have pointed out, but yes, the state havent mailed the cards yet, and also yes, my attitude is fine. Perfectly fine.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
You can't really talk about the driving aspect unless you've done it. They don't teach you how to decide when to oppose traffic or when to play it safe and shut down and wait for the light in driver's ed. They don't teach you how people react to your lights and sirens. They don't teach you how to properly clear intersections. You're right, ambulances aren't race cars, but that doesn't stop people from treating them like one once the lights come on because "someone might be dying". Ambulances are long, wide, accelerate slowly and accelerate slowly. Now add in driving while your partner is working in the back. Turn that to driving code while your partner is working and it gets even more difficult.

Patients are not packages, they are people. If you say the things we see in EMS don't affect you you have a rude awakening coming my friend. Just because something touches your emotions doesn't mean it compromises the care you provide. You have to know how to separate it and deal with it in the proper manner.

I'm with firecoins, you're attitude is not ok.

You can't really talk about the driving aspect unless you've done it.

Done it.

They don't teach you how to decide when to oppose traffic or when to play it safe and shut down and wait for the light in driver's ed.

No, Im sure driver's ED dont teach you that sir. but Im sure its not rocket science.

They don't teach you how people react to your lights and sirens. They don't teach you how to properly clear intersections.

No, im sure drivers ed dont teach that either, but im sure its not rocket science.

You're right, ambulances aren't race cars, but that doesn't stop people from treating them like one once the lights come on because "someone might be dying".

THESE are the people that needs to get out of EMS... emotionally driven EMTs who would speed the ambulance ? thats a no-no.

Ambulances are long, wide, accelerate slowly and accelerate slowly.

Here we have ford truck based buses... im sure they arent any longer wider or behave differently than other ford pickup based cube-trucks because they are painted red.

Now add in driving while your partner is working in the back. Turn that to driving code while your partner is working and it gets even more difficult.

What are you talking about? how on earth would driving get more difficult ? You are only supposed to drive as fast as safety allows anyway. What you do? blast through red lights ? turn corners so fast that your tires skid ? what is this ? stunt driving ? no !

Patients are not packages, they are people.

I will package the patients for transport as per the conditions found. therefore they are packages. otherwise, I would be a livery driver, not an ambulance driver.

If you say the things we see in EMS don't affect you you have a rude awakening coming my friend.

I have seen alot. nothing really bothers me.

Just because something touches your emotions doesn't mean it compromises the care you provide. You have to know how to separate it and deal with it in the proper manner.

Yes it does. emotions require your brain to work. your emt services requires your brain to work... you cant do two things at once.

If you have to seperate and deal with it, then you are doing three things at once,.. have the emotion come, deal with the emotion, and then try to do your job.

I rather just focus on doing the job. Time is of the essence.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
THESE are the people that needs to get out of EMS... emotionally driven EMTs who would speed the ambulance ? thats a no-no.
Nope, nothing wrong with having emotions, and nothing wrong with speeding, so long as the two are done in appropriate ways at appropriate times.

What are you talking about? how on earth would driving get more difficult ? You are only supposed to drive as fast as safety allows anyway. What you do? blast through red lights ? turn corners so fast that your tires skid ? what is this ? stunt driving ? no !
The fact that you don't understand that driving with everyone belted in safely is different from having someone standing in the back, handling sharps, and someone on a bed that probably doesn't trust the restraints prove that you missed his point.

I have seen alot. nothing really bothers me.
This is a funny statement coming from someone who, let's be honest here, has probably not seen as much as they think. You JUST got certified and this is your FIRST time doing anything in this type of field, correct?

Most people I see who say that type of thing, don't last long in this career.

Yes it does. emotions require your brain to work. your emt services requires your brain to work... you cant do two things at once.

I've been doing this for coming on 4 years. There are many things I can do without thinking about them, "muscle memory" have you. My hands can be doing one thing while my mind is elsewhere, such as thinking about the next 3-4 things I want done.

But, emotions don't just mean DURING the call. You can get emotional after a call.

Time is of the essence.

Rarely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Nope, nothing wrong with having emotions, and nothing wrong with speeding, so long as the two are done in appropriate ways at appropriate times.

appropriate being the key word here. if it is appropriate then yes, thats fine... but it just isnt appropriate for my locality.

The fact that you don't understand that driving with everyone belted in safely is different from having someone standing in the back, handling sharps, and someone on a bed that probably doesn't trust the restraints prove that you missed his point.

i know the difference sir, and the driving still does not get more difficult. I avoid potholes and sudden moves in my everyday driving style regardless.

This is a silly statment, and always one I see from people who don't last long in this career.

I dont know about others, but my statement still stands un-silly. I have seen alot, and nothing really bothers me. my worse: man machine gunned with an AK47 dying where he fell in the SNOW ! 2nd worse, man pooed his wheelchair, then his toilet, then himself, then flooded his house in 1 inch of water so poo was everywhere, the whole place stunk to high heaven... no, dont really bother me.

I've been doing this for coming on 4 years. There are many things I can do without thinking about them, "muscle memory" have you. My hands can be doing one thing while my mind is elsewhere, such as thinking about the next 3-4 things I want done.

Good for you. that is good.

But, emotions don't just mean DURING the call. You can get emotional after a call.

Emotional after a call is worthless, you got the next call to think about, and if its the last call for the tour, then you gotta concentrate on dinner plans.

Time is of the essense.

"Rarely"

Really ? I guess is not a very busy area where you are. everyone here is concerned about response times, and the ability to go to the next call as soon as it comes in.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I see you edited:

"This is a funny statement coming from someone who, let's be honest here, has probably not seen as much as they think. You JUST got certified and this is your FIRST time doing anything in this type of field, correct?"

i guess I didnt say eariler. Im not some kid. Im 38 years old, former military.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I see you edited:

"This is a funny statement coming from someone who, let's be honest here, has probably not seen as much as they think. You JUST got certified and this is your FIRST time doing anything in this type of field, correct?"

So since you were in the military you've seen everything, nothing will ever bother you? Most likely, it won't the gory stuff that will bother you. It will be seeing the sick dying person that reminds you of someone you know. Also all this about how you won't be emotional and how people are just "packages" makes you sound like a robot, you have to be compassionate towards people. You're not providing the best care possible if you can't at least help some of the emotional needs of people.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I see you edited:

Your 38 and have this type of attitude? I expect it from an 18 year old. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe something isnt translating over the internet.

You still need experience.

EMS is not the military. Its not combat. Blood and guts are the easy part of the job. Were not under fire here. I have had ex militart partners. My experience has mixed. Some people with military medics excel. Some don't. Its not a given.

Your dealing with people not packages.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is this guy for real or is this a gag account. If not I really feel for the guys and or girls who have to be his partner.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
U haul has bigger vehicles.

U-Haul's trucks are on the average lighter and have a lower center of gravity then the average ambulance. Inertia makes a huge difference.

I'll let others chime in on the rest...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I dont know about others, but my statement still stands un-silly. I have seen alot, and nothing really bothers me. my worse: man machine gunned with an AK47 dying where he fell in the SNOW ! 2nd worse, man pooed his wheelchair, then his toilet, then himself, then flooded his house in 1 inch of water so poo was everywhere, the whole place stunk to high heaven... no, dont really bother me.

Not one to compare war stories (pun not intended) but if those two are the 'worst you've seen', boy are you in for a wakening. Everyone has different things that get to them. Everyone.

How many times have you had to tell a family that there is nothing you can do for their loved one? How many times have you seen an absolutely abysmal lifestyle, but still have to try and save a life? How many times have you seen families torn apart, physically and mentally, by a mere wrong move? How many times have you seen someone commit suicide to prove a point to their family and put it on display?

Don't be ashamed if a call effects you. Just don't let it ruin you.

Really ? I guess is not a very busy area where you are. everyone here is concerned about response times, and the ability to go to the next call as soon as it comes in.

One of the biggest service areas in the country, one of the busiest call volumes in the country in one of the biggest cities, and one of the most progressive agencies medically in the country.

Nope, I clearly am wrong when I say time rarely matters in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Time is of the essense.

"Rarely"

this made me literally LOL

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Yes package.. The package is a person yes. Do u know what package means? It seems you are making it more than it really is! So what if pt codes? So what if ppl are dying. You still drive it in a safe and responsible manner. One accident and your package will be delayed. Or die in transit. Driving is not hard, not even with the variables you mention. Its not huge either its a pickup truck. U haul has bigger vehicles. I dont think attitude matters at all, we all have opinions but fact remains the same. Do the job right, do it well. Speeding kills.

We are making people more important than they really are? Why are you doing EMS?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Why? What? Why all the sissy stuff? Telling the family ? Who cares? Thats not my job! Im supposed to cpr the package all the way to the er! Im aint telling nobody nuttin! And who cares if the pt looks like your mom? Man.. You ppl are really something!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Why? What? Why all the sissy stuff? Telling the family ? Who cares? Thats not my job! Im supposed to cpr the package all the way to the er! Im aint telling nobody nuttin! And who cares if the pt looks like your mom? Man.. You ppl are really something!

:rofl:

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
And why do emtb? Because its fun and exciting? Bejeeze it is an ambulance, not a hippie love wagon...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Miscusi

most ppl i know got into ems because they like to help people. The ones that did it because it was cool didnt last long at all.

I really hope you are just trolling and don't seriously believe most of what you say. If you do, EMS will be a very rocky road and not as enjoyable as you think it will be. You will also be hard pressed to find a partner willing to work with you or trust you.