ER physician in EMS Break room

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just curious on your thoughts on a ER physician stopping in an EMS break room. I've never seen one in a break room but I kind of like the idea of getting to know the guys/gals a little better.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Typically unless we need to talk to crews about something we all stay out of the ems room. All of the ED staff are typically busy and don't have time to hang out anyway, but that is the space for EMS to decompress so we leave them alone. Our Docs are all approachable and any of the staff are more than happy to talk to crews if they want.

Back when I was on fire we had our own station so we didn't hang out in the EMS room either, we might grab a coke but otherwise that space is for the ambulance crews who are on 12s and going post to post.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean if they just want to come BS with us, sure. Rare chance they have time to. I go hang out in fire station and the communication room of our level 1 to get to know everyone or see friends.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Partner and I had a GSW/trauma arrest a few weeks back and one of the trauma docs came out to the bay while we were exorcising the truck to give us an update. That was kind of nice, I wouldn't mind that on some of the calls.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked in Indianapolis we could always approach the doctors in the ED; to check on the patients, past patients, ask them to listen to our breathing (partner's breathing as my partners used to do to me); etc.

Not so much here. But we don't transport very often at FT job; and I fly as many patients as ground transport at PT job; so it makes it harder. I don't get to see the same doc's as often.

Makes a huge difference when you might get into an ED 1 or 2 times a month, instead of 10 times a week (on a slow week)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
To hang out or say hi? sure, ER docs are more than welcome. If anyone wants to give an update on a patient, why not?

To raid the EMS snacks or fridge of cold drinks, which I have seen many of the ER staff do, especially during EMS week? now that's a different story.

Random aside: the CEO or CFO (I don't remember what he was) of my hospital based EMS service used to stop by EMS quarters occasionally... Apparently he liked one of the drinks we had in our soda machine, and it was the only place on hospital property that had it (something like yoohoo or Dr pepper). Nice guy, never busted our chops even if the lights were off and we were in siesta mode.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I always cherished every bit of advice/etc I got from the ER docs and I would have loved more interaction with them.

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
To hang out or say hi? sure, ER docs are more than welcome. If anyone wants to give an update on a patient, why not?

To raid the EMS snacks or fridge of cold drinks, which I have seen many of the ER staff do, especially during EMS week? now that's a different story.

Random aside: the CEO or CFO (I don't remember what he was) of my hospital based EMS service used to stop by EMS quarters occasionally... Apparently he liked one of the drinks we had in our soda machine, and it was the only place on hospital property that had it (something like yoohoo or Dr pepper). Nice guy, never busted our chops even if the lights were off and we were in siesta mode.

Raiding the EMS room at our hospital got so bad they put a keycard reader on the door. Nurses, ED techs, housekeeping, several surgeons, nurses from on the floors all got caught. Now, even though I was EMS at the hospital, we could not have munchies from the room. HOWEVER, we got good stuff in the ED lounge. Salesmen really kept that room stocked.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
EMS break room? Snacks? We had a cubby of a write-up room with desk and chairs for report writing with some stock cabinets and not even at all the hospitals. Break room is back at the station and snacks are the little packets of arrowroot cookies and peanut butter pouches I can snag from the pt pantry.