Entering the EMT World (Questions/Advice)

flipflop

Forum Ride Along
Hello everybody! Thanks for the info provided within this site. It’s amazing that you all share so much information.

I am looking to make a career shift and have long pondered becoming an EMT. Recently I have been seriously looking into it, and finding all that is necessary for me to begin down this path.

I am 26 years old and live in Washington State, and from what I can tell to become EMT certified (at least in WA) it is required to have association with an affiliated agency. My understanding is that this "sponsorship" is attained upon employment with an affiliated agency (usually FD, Hospital, or Ambulance Co.), or possibly by "volunteering". I am curious what they might be looking for, and if this is the type relationship is generally volunteer only. I am coming from a non-medical background and am curious how I could go about receiving this type of affiliation, and more importantly what would probably be best to introduce/prepare more for training and eventual employment (and as of financial concerns how long generally until "volunteering" could become actual employment).

I have looked through most of the posts in these boards and seen wonderful information for new students and those about to begin training, but I didn't see anything regarding volunteer/experience before training courses, and was curious what any of you would advise as a best approach for this. I am currently located in a rural town without any resources to tap for this type of information, and before I make plans to re-locate to location more feasible for this endeavor I would like to try and piece together what is necessary, and what would be the most valuable for me and any future colleagues regarding a career down this path.

I appreciate any information you could provide concerning such a basic question and thank you again for the information that has been made available to me through your previous posts. The information provided, especially on being more useful for your partners/team, is extremely valuable.

:)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First of all, welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

Secondly, let me assure you that Washington is more messed up than most states when it comes to anything other than paramedic.

Depending upon where you live in the state, volunteering may not be an option even in the rural areas. Check your PM and let me know what town your in, as I might be able to help you. Most vollie agencies may help you with paying for your EMT class, provided you make some sort of time committment with them. The other thing that an EMT in Washington needs is ongoing education via the OTEP program. Your county EMS agency will have this information for you and may even be able to answer your questions better than I can.

Have you taken the EMT class yet? The agency affiliation is required before the state can process your application to become an EMT, but I'm not sure if it's a requirement just to take the class.

Check out the following link and scroll down about a third of the way to the Regional EMS Office Links. WA DoH OTEP EMS Links

Hope this helps

OP
OP
F

flipflop

Forum Ride Along
ffemt8978 said:
Have you taken the EMT class yet? The agency affiliation is required before the state can process your application to become an EMT, but I'm not sure if it's a requirement just to take the class.

Hope this helps

I have not yet done any training, and it isn't required to be affiliated to take the class (at least according to what I have found). However some of the places give priority enrollment to those who are affiliated, but where I was looking doesn't seem to care.

Initially I planned on taking the classes then worrying about getting affiliated, but as I am making some changes I would like to know what that involves before I start the journey. Also it appears that the class provides the opportunity to become certified upon completion.

Considering how "green" I am though I beginning to think some form of experience before hand/during my training might be advantageous, and if something like that would also provide some affiliation.

This certainly does help, Thanks!