End of medic school

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Wait. You finish school, THEN go through clinicals? Hrm. Here, you've gotta be doing the clinicals throughout the course of the program, meeting benchmarks along the way. Go figure.

Anyways... clinicals, in general... Some people in my course really like them and look forward to them, view them as a valuable learning experience. Others view them as an obstacle to be overcome to get their certification and look forward to their being over. Personally, I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two, and your real education will be when you get on the street, and start having calls that you want back.

Later!

--Coop

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Personally, I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two, and your real education will be when you get on the street, and start having calls that you want back.

There is a big difference between street smarts and education. Many often confuse the two and use the street smarts concept of education as an excuse not to enhance one's education formally. Street smarts come a lot easier wihen one knows disease processes and drug interactions rather then "we saw this once before and treated it this way but don't know why."

If you know something about medicine, you can find an explanation rather than trying to look good with "learned it in the streets". That explanation doesn't always fly with those who have a medical education and may be reviewing your reports.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wait. You finish school, THEN go through clinicals? Hrm. Here, you've gotta be doing the clinicals throughout the course of the program, meeting benchmarks along the way. Go figure.

--Coop

I hate programs doing that. By doing clinicals during you are extremely limited in what you can do for the majority of clinicals. By doing clinicals at the end you can treat every patient from the interview to the cardioversion.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
I see your point, Vent--and I agree, to an extent. I wasn't as clear as I should have been, I don't think.

I do not advocate the robot-like performing of tasks A, B, and C for condition X, Y, and Z without comprehension of why.

I think the street would teach you what you don't know --by means of the calls you want back-- and the astute individual would take steps to fill in those gaps. It's hard to learn when you don't know the questions to ask.

Later!

--Coop

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think the street would teach you what you don't know --by means of the calls you want back-- and the astute individual would take steps to fill in those gaps. It's hard to learn when you don't know the questions to ask.

And that takes us back to medic417's post about clinicals.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
No, that is not how I meant it to come across. I want to be the best medic I can be and I will do whatever I can to do that. But as of now, I am in a world of disarray(sp?). I guess I was hoping for reassurance to see where you guys were feeling when you guys were just going into clinicals.

Now if I thought my education ended after this program. I'd be scared for other peoples lives. That is exactly why I want to take science classes after I am done.

OK. Going straight from basic to medic with no field experience, depending on the individual (the vast majority, me included), you will be lacking a lot of prehospital confidence.

Vent, don't have a coronary, but I lacked a lot from not having college A&P. I'm votech trained on respiratory and medic. And I suffered because of it.

Remember, it ain't the dawg in the fight, it's the fight in the dawg. How bad do you want it?

wehttam

Forum Probie
I dont have a biological background. I've never took a college level class of A&P and took NCTI, 6 week A&P course. I wanted to go back to college and take the upper division A&P, microbiology and a few other biological classes, but I feel like I really couldnt apply it, since I would already be working as a medic.

how much A&P can u really learn in six weeeks thats crazy
u can still benefit from upper division A&P and microbiology classes after uve gained your medic certificate may help u have a better understand of some of those concepts u were having problems with

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hate programs doing that. By doing clinicals during you are extremely limited in what you can do for the majority of clinicals. By doing clinicals at the end you can treat every patient from the interview to the cardioversion.

My "school" gives you a "choice". You can do them throughout class time, or pay for an extra semester and do them all at the end. Bites, right? I would have prefered them at the end just because... you're absolutely right (God... This is getting scary, we are starting to make agreeing with eachother a habit..) you're very limited in what you can do, especially until you learn the drugs. My class was limited to IVs and ACLS algorithims. Made for really boring, uneventful clinicals.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
how much A&P can u really learn in six weeeks thats crazy
u can still benefit from upper division A&P and microbiology classes after uve gained your medic certificate may help u have a better understand of some of those concepts u were having problems with

6 weeks is actually a long time for NCTI, the school he is attending.

From the NCTI website:

NCTI offers an accelerated pre-paramedic Anatomy & Physiology class which is designed to help prepare students for their entrance into paramedic school. The course is five days long and focuses on the related studies involved within paramedicine.

At least it states they may also accept A&P from the colleges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief

From the NCTI website:

NCTI offers an accelerated pre-paramedic Anatomy & Physiology class which is designed to help prepare students for their entrance into paramedic school. The course is five days long and focuses on the related studies involved within paramedicine.

You mean 5 days isn't enough!? Blasphemy.

wehttam

Forum Probie

From the NCTI website:

no wonder paramedicine is in the state that it is in today how much can u really learn in 5 days and i cant believe people actually fall for this kinda crap it really makes me sick

MedicReneeInstructor

Forum Ride Along
Im sorry for the bombardment of topics about medic school. But I have 2 classes left, my final is on the 23rd. I have been hanging around a 75% the whole class(barely passing) and now that I'm about to head into my clinicals, I'm pretty worried that I dont know what I need to know. Everytime I'm on this site reading and trying to learn something new, there are 5 other things that I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Which is another reason, I feel Im not ready to be out there.

I went straight from EMT school to medic school and I think i'm kickin myself for it now. Am I gonna be in for a shell-shock?

I totally understand the nerves of ending Medic class and freaking out about your clinicals. When you talk about your clinicals do you mean taking the final practicals? There is a ton of stuff on the internet that helped me to study for the National Registry test and even grasp a better feeling about my final. One site that I fully recommend is http://www.emt-national-training.com . I tell all of my students to use this to study. It is AWESOME! As you keep using it you may run into repetitive questions but it will get your ready for NREMT and your final.

Another thing I wanted to say is: You can't expect to have a full grasp on what you have learned in Medic class until you can use it on your own. This is why life is the best teacher. Do you have another Medic that you can run with or learn from in your area? This can be a HUGE help! If you feel you need more time to learn then shadow a medic. They should be fully understanding and if they aren't..it's not the right Medic to shadow. Don't give up and never be afraid to ask another Medic, nurse, dr or instructor questions. :)