EMT's involved in head-on collision

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Me either. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of those vambulances (which is mainly what my company uses as well). I haven't been in the field for very long at all, and from what I've been told they aren't as sturdy as the box trucks. Plus you have to take into consideration that the driver of the car was going 100+ MPH. That's bound to do damage to just about anything.

Thank you for pointing out that it wasn't a rig that the EMTs were in. I suppose they aren't semi's, and a car going that fast against a van, I can see doing more damage now. Then again, isn't that just what the front of a rig is, a van/truck?

ParaPrincess904

Forum Probie
My heart goes out to the family friends and coworkers of this EMT, and I wish her a speedy recovery.

I saw someone post earlier (before it was known to be ETOH) that they suspected it as well because of an influx in DWIs in NM, and I'm sad to say that it is an influx in this country. I live in NY, and in the past 3 months or so, we've had twice as many wrong way crashes, with most, if not all having alcohol as a factor...

OP
OP
EMTMama

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
My heart goes out to the family friends and coworkers of this EMT, and I wish her a speedy recovery.

I saw someone post earlier (before it was known to be ETOH) that they suspected it as well because of an influx in DWIs in NM, and I'm sad to say that it is an influx in this country. I live in NY, and in the past 3 months or so, we've had twice as many wrong way crashes, with most, if not all having alcohol as a factor...

Aw that's awful. That was me that posted that - unfortunately, NM has one of the highest (if not THE highest) DWI rates in the country, which is why I stated that. I do think you're right that overall it's going up, but NM seems to have a particularly bad issue with it. It's not uncommon for people to be arrested multiple times for it. A recent case that immediately comes to mind was someone on their 15th DWI arrest. :wacko:

OP
OP
EMTMama

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
I hadn't seen that yet, thank you. That article didn't report that the two people in the car had also been smoking weed all day, as was said in another news report, but whatever. I'm glad the EMT is recovering.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
That article didn't report that the two people in the car had also been smoking weed all day, as was said in another news report, but whatever. I'm glad the EMT is recovering.

Probably not a factor unless they were smoking in the car right then, since they just came out of a public restaurant. No reason to blame weed for something it probably didn't do.

OP
OP
EMTMama

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
Probably not a factor unless they were smoking in the car right then, since they just came out of a public restaurant. No reason to blame weed for something it probably didn't do.

Who knows if they were or not (smoking it right before). If it really was all day, and then they drank heavily, I think the combination would have been a factor. But - we'll never know for sure.