EMTLife Vitals Hall of Fame

OP
OP
JPINFV

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hang on a second, I thought the pH scale only went from 1-14?

It can go above 14 or below 1, but it's rare and pretty hard to do.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well, I don't have anything nearly as impressive as you guys, but the only thing that's really popping out at me right now is a patient I transported with a pH of 6.82.

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
BP 306/194

The moral of the story is people who skip out on a weeks worth of dialysis should no smoke crack.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In my paramedic clinicals I had a pt. spiking 250 BP+, I was ordered to start an I.V. and when I removed the needle, pulsations of blood squirted out about ten feet!

...and I swear I hit a vein!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Somebody should be able to beat an INR of 14.9.
A woman I transported back to a SNF for a short-term stay after a big teaching ED looked at her and said, "Not a hospital problem. Here's some Vitamin K and stay away from sharp objects."

On warfarin, no other contributing problems as far as I know.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I've got that beat if your willing to count the pills he fished out of the porto potty and shoved into his anal cavity.

Was at a 3 day concert and security had been tossing confiscated drugs into the porto potty thinking nobody would ever be tempted to do mystery pills out of a public toilet. They were wrong.

Wow! That is nasty.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My best that I can remember is a K of 10.2. A very end stage gastric bypass.

Lowest measured bp in a live person 28/14. That hour took a lot of writing down vital signs.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
CKMB of 25,000 on one MI pt. Died

A troponin of 400 on another one. Died.

A K of 13 that got better and went died.

A heat stroke of 107F.

Maternal grandfather died from met CA when temp was 109.

Saw a radial artery pump but unable to feel the pulse... any pulse. Odd.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I've got that beat if your willing to count the pills he fished out of the porto potty and shoved into his anal cavity.

Was at a 3 day concert and security had been tossing confiscated drugs into the porto potty thinking nobody would ever be tempted to do mystery pills out of a public toilet. They were wrong.

Guess the guy must have been a fan of Trainspotting, threw up a little in my mouth BTW.

Undaedalus

Forum Probie
Nope. I'm quite positive it was 39.7. None of us had ever seen. ABG was repeated by the RTs twice. He died shortly after.

Sorry man, but there's no way. If this guy was a DKA PT, then he should have an acidic pH, whereas what you're describing would be blood somewhere on the order of 4x as alkaline as NaOH, read simply, wildly incompatable with life.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Oh, golly...........:wacko:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not a lab value per se, but had a diabetic pt down for unknown length of time in her garden with ketoacidosis, smelled like canned pears and had fruit flies and ants on her. Lived another week in a SNF.

Ditto about the pt, a pregnant diabetic meth abuser who tried to borderline OD on insulin to precipitate an abortion, and was given meth to wake her up when she collapsed. Was the color of the background of this website, obtunded and gasping like a blue whale breeching. Lasted a couple days in ICU, lost the fetus and would have lost her arm to compartmental syndrome after so many ABG's. Or so the ICU told us.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Had an old fella with a BP of 300+/220. None of our BP cuffs went any higher than 300 so we'll never know how high his systolic was. Standing height fall with head strike, on warfarin. I swear he was bleeding through his pores. Blood kept appearing on his cheeks but with no wounds that either myself or the doctor I was working with could identify.

mpena

Forum Probie
Roadside BAC done to 24 y.o. female after two vehicle Rollover/MVA (walking and talking mind you) BAC - 0.71

Lowest on scene BGL (walking/talking (slurred speech but understandable) BGL - 24

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Blood alcohol of .398, Alert and talking. Talk about a professional.
Blood alcohol of .45something? - Well, they lived.

Undaedalus

Forum Probie
For the record,

In 1995, a man in Wrocław, Poland, had a car accident. At the hospital, his BAC was determined to be 1,48%. Concerned that their equipment was malfunctioning, doctors also performed five separate lab tests, all of which confirmed the man's blood alcohol content. He died a few days later from wounds from the car accident. Police were baffled as to how an individual could attain such a high blood alcohol. Later, police discussions with his brother in-law revealed that he had "beer bonged" pure grain alcohol allegedly stolen from his place of work, a chemical plant.

Per Wikipedia. EMTLife.com doesn't trust my link, so find it yourself.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
For the record,

In 1995, a man in Wrocław, Poland, had a car accident. At the hospital, his BAC was determined to be 1,48%. Concerned that their equipment was malfunctioning, doctors also performed five separate lab tests, all of which confirmed the man's blood alcohol content. He died a few days later from wounds from the car accident. Police were baffled as to how an individual could attain such a high blood alcohol. Later, police discussions with his brother in-law revealed that he had "beer bonged" pure grain alcohol allegedly stolen from his place of work, a chemical plant.

Per Wikipedia. EMTLife.com doesn't trust my link, so find it yourself.

The actual source is http://www.wprost.pl/ar/9999/Rekord-w-promilach/?I=963, but it's in Polish and Google messes up the translation quite a bit. ;)