EMT training first?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Pneumo - not all schools require those courses. The one I just applied to did not require chemistry or medical terminology, for example. Out of the courses you listed, the only ones I've seen every single BSN/ADN program that I've looked in to require are bio and A&P (makes sense because gen bio is almost always a pre-req for A&P).

Competitive GPA... yes. Again, all programs are different I didn't get in to the aformentioned school because my 3.67 GPA isn't high enough. They haven't even considered anyone with anything below a 3.95 for several years, and then they still have hundreds of people to weed out (according to a member of the admissions committee, an RN I worked with while doing a LTC clinical for my CNA of all places... so always make a good impression out there since you never know who's watching you!).

As far as the direct-admit programs such as what JP mentioned - my best friend is a junior in one. They are still competitive but not as competitive to enter as the 2yr pre-req/admit/2+yr nursing programs. The reason is that they have very high standards to STAY in the program. You do need to take the same sort of pre-reqs in your first two years, and you must maintain a high GPA (I believe 3.5+). So people start being weeded out pretty fast in the first couple of years.

After her first two years, she had to take some sort of exam to proceed to the last two years of clinical stuff.

8jimi8

CFRN
Pneumo - not all schools require those courses. The one I just applied to did not require chemistry or medical terminology, for example. Out of the courses you listed, the only ones I've seen every single BSN/ADN program that I've looked in to require are bio and A&P (makes sense because gen bio is almost always a pre-req for A&P).

Competitive GPA... yes. Again, all programs are different I didn't get in to the aformentioned school because my 3.67 GPA isn't high enough. They haven't even considered anyone with anything below a 3.95 for several years, and then they still have hundreds of people to weed out (according to a member of the admissions committee, an RN I worked with while doing a LTC clinical for my CNA of all places... so always make a good impression out there since you never know who's watching you!).

As far as the direct-admit programs such as what JP mentioned - my best friend is a junior in one. They are still competitive but not as competitive to enter as the 2yr pre-req/admit/2+yr nursing programs. The reason is that they have very high standards to STAY in the program. You do need to take the same sort of pre-reqs in your first two years, and you must maintain a high GPA (I believe 3.5+). So people start being weeded out pretty fast in the first couple of years.

After her first two years, she had to take some sort of exam to proceed to the last two years of clinical stuff.

It might be worthwhile to think about WHERE you will go to nursing school. Some schools DONT have a waiting list, or require a CNA license.

When I applied to austin community college -- there were people who had been waitlisted for 2 years (which actually gave them some more points on their application process - having been waitlisted). I had a 4.0 and all of my prereqs done and I was accepted on the first try. The next cohort that started a semester later didn't have a waitlist at all. The semester after that, there was again, a wait list, but it all depends on where you go to school.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
2 of the 3 programs i applied to required med term. and the program im actually in didnt require it but required chem so..meh.

what i mean by competative gpa is, just because the paper work says "2.5 gpa needed for admission" doesnt mean you'll get in with a 2.5.

^_^

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
The last time they figured my gpa it was above a 3.5. I don't remember the exact number. Has anybody heard anything about San Angelo State college? I am interested in it. I will take anatomy my senior year. There is just so much stuff to do before hand that it is a little bit confusing!

8jimi8

CFRN
The last time they figured my gpa it was above a 3.5. I don't remember the exact number. Has anybody heard anything about San Angelo State college? I am interested in it. I will take anatomy my senior year. There is just so much stuff to do before hand that it is a little bit confusing!

Angelo State university actually has a reputation as being one of the best nursing schools in the state. Also happens to be my alma mater (i was born in san angelo) But the city is pretty darn small and not much to do there!

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Do you know if Angelo State is an accredited school of nursing? I am from a small town so I am plenty used to that!

8jimi8

CFRN
Yes, they are accredited. Tuitoin is fairly inexpensive as well.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Speaking as a Trauma RN who works in a high density urban trauma 1 center and a Paramedic, I would recommend RN from the get go. Do your Pre-nursing and nursing from the start.

Just my 2 cents.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I never said that. EMT license is a great thing to have. However, If you are going to be a trauma nurse, nothing is going to prepare you better than nursing school. If your nursing program offers electives on your 4th year, I suggest something along the lines of "Intro to Critical Care" or "Emergency Nursing". I took a fantastic course on my 4th year called, "Cardiorespiratory concepts of intensive care nursing" I still use that info today.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I think that I might just skip the emt license just because it will not be my main goal. A trauma nurse is my main goal. Alright thanks for the info:)

EMS*Princess

Forum Probie
Ride alongs might not be allowed due to liability issues. However most hosptials have some sort of junior axiliary or candy striper volunteer position.

I'm 16 and an Explorer at the Pierce Twp. FD- they allow us to do ride alongs. The Boy Scouts Learning for Life program provides liability insurance.

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
Actually I have done some ride alongs this summer and I have had some great calls and I have loved every minute of it. I have basically been a CNA at the hospital and I like the EMT thing a whole lot better! I have decided that I am going to go through EMT training first then nursing school. Next week I am going to be going through a first responders course and will be certified in that! :)

Knightlite

Forum Probie
Would the EMT training just be a waste of time or would it help me in my nursing?

The EMT training would not be a waste of time. As a trauma nurse you will be working with EMTs all the time when they come into the ER with their patients. It would not hurt to know what makes EMTs tick. It may make you a better nurse.

Good luck.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I have changed my mind and I am going to get my EMT license. I am actually getting my EFR certification this week and will be done on Saturday. Thanks for the website!