EMT Student in the SF Bay

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Hi All~
I just discovered this site and I had some basic questions. I haven't yet enrolled in a class, as the next class in my area doesn't start until August. My questions are as follows:
  1. What are the physical requirements? (i.e. certain weight to lift, physical endurance test, etc)
  2. What skills (beyond my CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer training) will I be expected to master in EMT-B?
  3. What type of math skills (Algebra, Geometry, etc) will I need?
  4. What kind of study advice would you give me?
  5. Any other advice you would like to pass down to a newb?
Thanks all in advance. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions down the line, so I hope y'all will be willing to answer them. :)

Tommerag

What day is it?
Hi All~
I just discovered this site and I had some basic questions. I haven't yet enrolled in a class, as the next class in my area doesn't start until August. My questions are as follows:
  1. What are the physical requirements? (i.e. certain weight to lift, physical endurance test, etc)
  2. What skills (beyond my CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer training) will I be expected to master in EMT-B?
  3. What type of math skills (Algebra, Geometry, etc) will I need?
  4. What kind of study advice would you give me?
  5. Any other advice you would like to pass down to a newb?
Thanks all in advance. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions down the line, so I hope y'all will be willing to answer them. :)

Welcome to the site. Some answers to your questions.
1) You wont really have to worry about this for class if thats what your asking. But actually working you will be able to have to help move patients whether loading them onto a cot or moving them up/down stairs. You don't have to be superman to do this though.
2) Math skills you don't really need any for emt-b
3) Just read your book and pay attention in class and you will be good to go.
4) Just ask questions. If you don't know how to do something or what something means ask. Its much better then if you are asked to do something that you don't know how, and pretend you know what to do.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Aw! Rag beat me to answering the questions! :(

What are the physical requirements? (i.e. certain weight to lift, physical endurance test, etc)
I don't know of any EMT program that has such a requirement in San Fransisco Bay Area, however, most ambulance companies do. It seems to vary from company to company, but I'd say you are expected to lift >120-125lbs. If you plan on becoming a tech in a hospital, you may be expected to be on your feet longer than eight hours.

What skills (beyond my CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer training) will I be expected to master in EMT-B?
Critical thinking would be a good one.

The skills you'll hopefully be taught are: vital signs, patient assessment, immobilization, airway management, bleeding control, splinting, and CPR. You'll be expected to perform these skills up to the standards of the NREMT in the Bay Area.

What type of math skills (Algebra, Geometry, etc) will I need?
Basic arithmetic: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You don't even need to know what a triangle is to be an EMT, but this shouldn't discourage you from being proficient in math.

What kind of study advice would you give me?
I'd recommend not to study more than two hour straight, and I personally believe even more than an hour is pushing it. I'd allocate about 30-60 minutes a night dedicated to just studying, and no more than that. Do not wait until the last minute to study the material. Try to be a couple of chapters ahead of the class so you don't end up playing catch-up, and when lecture comes, you'll have prepared questions. I believe it's better to ask questions when the teacher asks if there are any questions or in between lectures (break). If you take notes, do not write everything your teacher says and everything from the powerpoint; everything should be in the book. It's important to understand what's going on, or what you are doing; Do not get caught up in saying things word-to-word verbatim.

Specifically for patient assessments, you do not need a body to practice. Just remember that when it comes time to touch a body, don't be afraid to touch. From what I've observed, the hard part for most EMT student is verbalizing everything. I'd get used to verbalizing sizing up the scene and the initial assessment (together called the primary assessment) before practicing/learning the rest of the assessment. The primary assessment contains the most critical failures i.e. automatic fail if you forget to say it. Just to reiterate what I said, you don't need a body to do this, just say it outloud to yourself.

Any other advice you would like to pass down to a newb?
Learn some basic medical terminology and familiarize yourself with anatomy and physiology. I believe those will immediately help you in EMT. In the long run, knowing chemistry, biology, and a lot of other subjects will benefit you too. Unfortunately, for an EMT program, it may be overkill, but for your future patients, it's not.

Please use the search feature on the forums to check out many other studying advices and advices in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks you two! Good to hear I don't need to remember the Quadratic Equation!
Other questions
Will I need to know US to metric equivalents? I seem to remember a nurse friend of mine saying something about "mgs per kg" when it comes to delivering medications.
Will we be practising things like administering IVs on each other? (I've been told I have very easily accessible veins in my elbows)
Thanks again all!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT student in SF Bay??? Quick, somebody toss a rope! :)

Welcome and hope you got the answers you were looking for so far.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
EMT student in SF Bay??? Quick, somebody toss a rope! :)

Welcome and hope you got the answers you were looking for so far.

Rescue99~
LoL I *just* got the joke! Hehe ... I'm a little slow on the uptake sumtimes. :p

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Other questions
Will I need to know US to metric equivalents? I seem to remember a nurse friend of mine saying something about "mgs per kg" when it comes to delivering medications.
Will we be practising things like administering IVs on each other? (I've been told I have very easily accessible veins in my elbows)
Thanks again all!

No, those are ALS procedures, you may learn how to assist the medics in setting up those tools, but you won't be establishing IV's as a Basic.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Other questions
Thanks again all!

No you wont need to know how to change lbs to kgs or setting up dosing or doing IVs. You need to be and EMT-I or paramedic to do those things.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Even then, med math isn't overly complicated. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, everyone covered all the points already. Have fun and enjoy the class, depending on how you learn study groups can be a great asset. Especially when NREMT practicals come around.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Here I come with more questions! LoL

As to learning Anatomy and Physiology, any good books you would reccomend for a visual learner? I have heard of, like, coloring books that are for learning things. Any good?

Also, I'm rather overweight and out of shape. Any specific workouts/exercises you would reccomend? I am female, and I can do maybe 5 "girl" pushups (the kind where you rest your knees on the ground and only lift about half of what you'd lift with "guy" pushups). I love to swim and ride my bike, my brother has a small home gym he is willing to let me use, with weights, a bench, a punching bag, and a Total Gym. I'm also looking for things I can do at my home, without the benefit of all these things. Thanks so much all!! :-D

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Here I come with more questions! LoL

As to learning Anatomy and Physiology, any good books you would recommend for a visual learner? I have heard of, like, coloring books that are for learning things. Any good?

Also, I'm rather overweight and out of shape. Any specific workouts/exercises you would recommend? I am female, and I can do maybe 5 "girl" push ups (the kind where you rest your knees on the ground and only lift about half of what you'd lift with "guy" push ups). I love to swim and ride my bike, my brother has a small home gym he is willing to let me use, with weights, a bench, a punching bag, and a Total Gym. I'm also looking for things I can do at my home, without the benefit of all these things. Thanks so much all!! :-D

Try the college book store for Basic A&P.

Remember that being an EMT sometimes requires you to carry patients for longer distances. Some patients are well over 300lbs and you are often forced to adapt to weather. I would recommend endurance training, weight lifting, punching bag and plenty cardio. I would cut out heavy fatty foods and junk, caffeine, whole milk, and white bread. Use wheat breads, non fat yogurts, low fat dairy, egg whites only, plenty of green veggies. Also try eating small portions but more often. I eat 5 meals a day but it is in small portions. Always be sure that the protein is more than the carbs. I also recommend protein shakes in the morning. Something with fat burner would be the best. Good luck.:D

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

ClaymoreCharlie

Forum Probie
Start getting into at least some form of shape now. As it's been said, you don't need to be Superman...er, woman, BUT, it's embarrassing when you get winded just pulling the stretcher around the corner. Or when you are sweating much more than everyone else at the scene of a collision...just doesn't look good.

Another piece of advice, when you start riding out as a student... DON'T BE AFRAID to jump in and do what you have been taught to do. It is easier for your preceptor to pull you back than it is to try to force you to do something. You will also, most likely, get props from them for being willing to jump in and do what you are trained to do.

Best of luck in your future!

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
what programs in the Bay are you looking at? There are some great ones here... and some lackluster ones with bad reps.

I'd recommend doing some due diligence before signing up and paying your $$ to find out what the program's graduation rate, NREMT pass rate, and employment rate are.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Start getting into at least some form of shape now. As it's been said, you don't need to be Superman...er, woman, BUT, it's embarrassing when you get winded just pulling the stretcher around the corner. Or when you are sweating much more than everyone else at the scene of a collision...just doesn't look good.

Another piece of advice, when you start riding out as a student... DON'T BE AFRAID to jump in and do what you have been taught to do. It is easier for your preceptor to pull you back than it is to try to force you to do something. You will also, most likely, get props from them for being willing to jump in and do what you are trained to do.

Best of luck in your future!

Charlie~
Thats my plan, to start getting into better shape NOW as opposed to later. The bigger the jump on the game I can get, the better. :)

I think I've got the "jump right in" part covered. A few months back a woman had a seizure in the middle of Kmart. Before I even had the chance to conciously think, 'What am I going to do?' I was already at her side, introducing myself and asking her if she would allow me to assist her. (Gotta remember to ask so ya don't get sued!)

beandip4all said:
what programs in the Bay are you looking at? There are some great ones here... and some lackluster ones with bad reps.

beandip~
I am taking my EMT-B at Contra Costa College. Its the closest, and easiest to reach right now whilst I don't have a car.