EMT student Colorado

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
Hey all

I am currently in the EMT program at FRCC. I would like to work as an EMT in Longmont once I get my cert. But I don't really like needles. Is there any chance of me getting work with out the IV cert.
I am getting better with needles and as long as I am in control of them seem to be fine. I not sure about IV's though.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Do EMT's in Colorado start IV's? If you actually want to go the medic route, that's a problem I would suggest you work out.

OP
OP
G

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
Yes EMT can be IV certified in Colorado. I'm wondering if I can work as an EMT-B without IV certs. And maybe work towards getting IV certs.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If it's standard to have your IV cert to get a decent job, go get your IV cert. Especially considering you'll be a brand new EMT, i.e. nothing else to bring to the table. I've seen countless students have the same problem with IVs. The only way they get over it is by doing it. So if it's just a matter of you not liking needles, go do it and get it over with.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
You might get hired without the IV cert, but odds are it would be for a wheelchair van position. Maybe a BLS interfacility ambulance... Nearly everyone you'll be competing for jobs with will have their IV cert and you're really handicapping yourself if you don't do it.

OP
OP
G

Galen Stanger

Forum Probie
Oh cool. dose it help to get experience under your belt to work on a wheelchair van or a BLS rig and take the IV cert while working. I need to make some money to be able to afford the IV class if I'm gonna take it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You're not going to get any experience working as a wheelchair van driver. A BLS inter facility service is better than nothing, but those are typically just dialysis transports and return from hospitals, thus not much thinking- only practice taking vitals. Again, better than nothing though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just remember that starting an IV on a patient doesn't hurt you one bit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
I can't even give narcan in Florida but you can start IV's in Colorado :confused:

I'm in the wrong state

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I can't even give narcan in Florida but you can start IV's in Colorado :confused:

I'm in the wrong state
I'd venture to say most basics can't give narcan.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not saying it's right or wrong, just pointing out you comparing one uncommon skill to another uncommon skill.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
For whatever reason it is very common to have your first EMT job be on a wheelchair van. It's a promotion to get on the ambulance, whether that be a transfer ambulance or 911/both. As such, it'll help to have your IV cert when you start applying for any job, wheelchair or not. AMR (and Rural Metro when they were separate), Action Care, and some of the other Denver privates start EMTs on the van to help them with geography but they intend that most everyone eventually end up on the ambulance.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

I'm in the wrong state

EMT's can drop King airways and Combi tubes a couple counties north from me. It's not the state necessarily but the county.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd venture to say most basics can't give narcan.
Really? In the southwest its common. Same with SGAs

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
EMT's can drop King airways and Combi tubes a couple counties north from me. It's not the state necessarily but the county.

I can drop combi tubes, in florida EMR can drop them

only difference between EMR and EMT-B in florida is EMR can't give any medication and EMT-B can give a couple

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Really? In the southwest its common. Same with SGAs

Our basics can do quite a bit, including narcan, but I'd hardly consider Texas the standard for how most states operate. Considering there are still basics that can't check a blood sugar, and considering a large number of services are private IFTs that don't allow anything but vitals, plus California..., I'd say it's a safe bet that the majority of basics can't administer narcan. Again, Texas aside (and I've heard similar things about FL too).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our basics can do quite a bit, including narcan, but I'd hardly consider Texas the standard for how most states operate. Considering there are still basics that can't check a blood sugar, and considering a large number of services are private IFTs that don't allow anything but vitals, plus California..., I'd say it's a safe bet that the majority of basics can't administer narcan. Again, Texas aside (and I've heard similar things about FL too).
And nm aside too lol

Reynolds One

Forum Probie
EMTs can't do IVs here in Maricopa County, AZ, but if we could, I would be all over that. That's a skill that could definitely open some new doors, job wise. If you considered trying out work as an ER Tech - some hospitals will hire EMTs as is and train them on IVs, while others require you to already be trained/certified. Just something to consider.