EMT Seating

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Since I'm a student, normally sit in the back. Take the jump seat when there's no patient in the back, and move onto the bench when treating for better visibility. The captain's chair/jump seat (not sure what its called but seen the terms used interchangeably for the seat right by the patient's head) is surprisingly comfy ^^.

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
most of the time, i will sit on the bench seat. for the most obvious reason of so the pt can see me, and in turn i can see them. the radio is beside the captains chair, so when i make my notification to the hospital, i have to go behind the pt's head. but i will usually tell them what im doing before i do that.

snaketooth10k

Forum Crew Member
the throne

I personally like the CPR seat off to the side of the stretcher opposite the bench. It's got pads all over, it's well enclosed, it provides excellent patient access, and plus it is close to almost all the cabinets and gauges. I love that seat like it's one of my own :wub:

If you really wanna be safe though, captains chair is where it's at. In a side impact it may be a bit uncomfortable, but its safer in a frontal than the bench or CPR seat.

*NOTE* Everybody has to die someday + Ambulance crashes are heroic - you can't help when your dead = try to stay in the captains chair if you don't want to quit irl

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
The only times I've been in the back of an ambulance is during the ride along, (I'm a tech) and in my experience most lead medics sit on the bench seat to better monitor the patient.

Put yourself in the patients shoes. If you are being talked to would you prefer it from behind you or would you like to be talked to from next to you so you can see the person?

Sasha

Forum Chief
. The captain's chair/jump seat (not sure what its called but seen the terms used interchangeably for the seat right by the patient's head) is surprisingly comfy ^^.

In the area I do ride alongs with, if its a 3 person crew and a 2 person cab, they call it riding b!tch! :p

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I always sit on the bench, strong believer in you cant treat what you cant see, specially when you have those pts that every once in a while you swear stop breathing.....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Most of the paid 911 services also run with boxes.

You should tell them to rent a truck and put the boxes in the back.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I know one county up here tried switching all their 911 to boxes. ended up having like 25 of them out of service due to damage from people underestimating their height and hitting trees and stuff